Plantar Faciitis

you actually don't need a ball. that is if you can handle self torture. just kneel on the calve you want to work. take your hand from the same side and use your thumb or fist to find the trigger point. when you have it apply weight, as much as you can handle until it lets go. i find i have to increase my weight as it's about to release, which ironically is when it hurts the most. just make sure to keep your thumb supported into your fist and not extended from your hand. that could potentially cause a lot of damage.

That's a good way and almost any thing can work with the right pressure on the right spot but for a new person trying to figure this out whats the best way for them to get "to know" what to do...it seems easy for me but I learned this several years ago and its seems you know this as well. Its like once someone does this right one time its holy sh@t that was easy then they know....but getting them to that one time isn't easy it seems.

I had a friend call me a few days ago that has PF since going on vacation and wearing new very low heeled shoes....they over did walking way too much now they have PF. They do not run at all never have and wear standard thick heeled shoes normally...I told them the same things that has been said in this thread and they don't get it one bit but I have only talked with on the phone. Its pretty hard to show what to do without being there first hand sometimes.

You picked up the shot from the pharmacy?!?!?!?! That's the way they do it in the UK? What makes them think the patient picking up the shot wouldn't administer it to themselves? Yikes! :nurse::nailbiting::doctor:

Glad you got the night splint. Let us know how you do.

I thought PF was shod people's problem. I get it sometimes when running with fivefingers or something thicker, but it usually goes away by one barefoot run.
I never had it as a shod runner, but got it and achilles tendonitis as a barefoot runner. That is a myth that barefoot runners don't get it.

Well I was running mostly in zero drop shoes when I started getting it in both feet. It could have been due to other factors as well but it coincided with me upping my weekly mileage significantly, and appeared in both feet at the same time.

It may be a bit early to get my hopes up but after two nights sleeping with my bad foot in a night splint, the pain is considerably less - fingers crossed!

Yeah maybe the UK prescription thing is a little weird, most adults have to pay for prescription medicines and usually we pick them up from the Pharmacy. Usually it's pills etc, but this time it was a blister pack with a steroid shot in it. I put it safe in a high cupboard away from my daughters hands, I've stitched myself up after accidents before but so far have not been tempted to self administer the shot. I did wonder how hard it would be to do right though.

Vampire, you can also use a cheap softball or even a tennis ball, although a tennis ball is not as good as a hard type of ball. I'm sure you will be able to find a good hard ball to use though.

I thought PF was shod people's problem. I get it sometimes when running with fivefingers or something thicker, but it usually goes away by one barefoot run.
I was a shoddie in transition to barefoot when I got it. I was actually wearing a pair of ASICS Kayanos when I got it the first time and Saucony Grid Ignitions when I got it the second time.

In 1986 I had a bout of PF. My podiatrist gave me a shot. I can still remember how much that hurt. I know results vary from patient to patient, but what it is worth I was running two days later (not recommended), and I've never looked back. The PF was severe enough to send me to the floor when I got out of bed in the morning. Best wishes!

Bit of an update. So I was taking Naproxen twice daily for two weeks on the advice of the doctor, this started to reduce the pain I was feeling, but around the same time I bought a night splint which I started using. After a few days (nights) of using the night splint the pain had lessened a lot, with virtually none first thing in the morning. I went over to Slovakia for a few days holiday so risked a 6km trail run (in Salomon Speedcross 3 shoes) which went fine and didn't cause any extra pain during/after the run. So far so good.

I gave it another week after I finished the Naproxen, the pain came back a little but not much, so there's still some healing to do. I did a 5km road run a few days ago (Brooks Puredrift 4mm drop) and again, no pain during/after the run. The pain comes and goes in 'twinges', I can be driving the car or sitting at my desk and suddenly it'll be like a sharp burning pain in my foot - though not as bad as a month or two ago.

About a week ago I also bought a Compex Runner (EMS machine that also does TENS) as I read they can be used to relieve/heal tendonitis issues as well as for strength/recovery training*. I've been using this daily on my feet, and every other day on quads/hams/calves. It's a bit early to say if this is having much effect at the moment.

I went back to the doctors today and had the steroid shot in my left foot (not ultrasound guided - just done by someone who does lots of them). I was pretty worried about how painful it'd be but honestly it wasn't any worse than having an IV put in, I was pretty relieved! Maybe I have a high pain threshold or was just lucky she didn't hit anything too tender! :eek:

I've been advised not to run at all for 1 week, and then the doctor is happy for me to start doing a sensible amount of runs as I see fit, as long as it's not causing more pain then I'm good to go. If there's any pain left in 2 months (unlikely seeing how much it's healed lately, unless I overdo it again) then I can go back for another shot, this time guided by ultrasound.

The doctor gave me lots of good advice, and was impressed that I'd tried to make sure my running form was good rather than just buying corrective shoes. Some things she suggested, which I told her most of which I was doing already from advice on the net, are:

Rolling foot/arch on a frozen bottle of water.
Rolling foot/arch on a golf ball.
Gentle stretching once or twice daily.
Sleeping in a night splint.
Reducing the running until it's healed up.
Massage etc.

She didn't mention using a hard ball on the calves but I'll carry on with that, and I'll carry on using the Compex as well.

I'll update again in just over a week when I've done my first run. :)

* Some links I found about using a Compex for plantar faciitis.
http://bridgerridgerun.wordpress.co...-prevention-treatment-and-healing-techniques/
http://trimadnessblog.wordpress.com/category/plantar-fasciitis/

Love this from the link Vamp shared:

runsticker.jpg

Reactions: scedastic
Vamp, the Compex looks just like the TENS Unit I had that I ended up giving to my father-in-law for his back pain. It works great for him.

Also, the EMS machine, is that the part of the device that heals the tendon? I ask because I understand TENS is just for pain, not healing. How does EMS work? What does it do...differently than the built-in TENS?

Vamp, the Compex looks just like the TENS Unit I had that I ended up giving to my father-in-law for his back pain. It works great for him.

Also, the EMS machine, is that the part of the device that heals the tendon? I ask because I understand TENS is just for pain, not healing. How does EMS work? What does it do...differently than the built-in TENS?

Well the Compex is mostly an EMS machine, but the model I bought has a TENS program built in.

I'll be honest in that part of my reason for buying it was that Compex machines are used by Kilian Jornet, Anna Frost etc in running, and Mark Cavendish and many Tour de France cyclists (though I'm sure most/all of them are sponsored).

As I understand it, EMS promotes healing/active recovery by 'working' the muscles gently (contracting or twitching them depending on the program) and stimulating extra blood flow to those areas. I couldn't say if it's had much of an effect on me so far, or whether it's been proven in clinical trials. It sounds reasonable though and I've heard of them being used by physiotherapists and in rehabilitation.

It also has strength building programs. I've tried the 'trail running specific strength' program a few times on quads, hamstrings, calves and my god does it put them through some punishment - you feel like you're being tazed! It works muscles to the point they are really bulging and pumped, and you have DOMS the next day like you've been climbing a mountain. I'm aiming to use it for recovery after runs, and for strength building on my non-running days.

Here's a flashy marketing video they have, hopefully it's not all BS! :cool:

I'll check out the video shortly. Thank you. So I get it now. The TENS applies electricity, as I knew, and the EMS stimulates the muscles. I wonder if I could use this to "work out" instead of having to go to the gym, because basically, I can't go to the gym with all my health problems. I wonder if people who are paralyzed use this to help keep their muscles from atrophying and dying.

I wonder if people who are paralyzed use this to help keep their muscles from atrophying and dying.

Well, I'm planning an experiment in that area. My girlfriend was born with cerebral palsy so has a weaker left side, her left leg and arm are smaller and weaker than the right.

If I can talk her into it, I want to see if it can help her build strength/size on that side when she lacks the nerve control to work the muscles manually. Maybe measure quad/calf circumference then do several weeks of sessions and see what changes.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Off topic. I read an article where the author practices balancing on one foot while brushing their teeth. To make it more challenging (since I have an electric toothbrush), I try doing it with my eyes closed. It's trickier than I thought it would be!
Great to hear I am not alone doing this crazy exercise. :woot: Have been practicing standing on one foot while brushing teeth since December last year, for the last 9 months. Seeing a great improvement in keeping my balance and strengthening foot muscles but did not get to the point of doing it with eyes closed :wacky:

Reactions: dutchie53

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test