Paleo again faster

chickpastor wrote:did the

chickpastor said:
did the paleo people have chickens?

I'd say no. Chickens are thought to be descended from red junglefowl which are native to southeast asian countries like Thailand, Vietnam, etc. They were domesticated, possibly interbred with other species, and have spread to every country in the world and we continue to develop new varieties, but in the modern day. So I guess paleos from southeast asia would have had access to junglefowl, but not the chickens we have today. Then again maybe they're similar enough genetically to make the distinction moot.

Kind of reminds me of the discovery that every domestic cat in the world has one common ancestor, a population of wildcat from the middle east, no matter how different they look or their location. So it makes sense that all the varieties of chickens have a common ancestor.

I personally think cats were

I personally think cats were domesticated in concert with the advent of evil grains (to combat mice). Egypt worshipped cats as one of the first grain-dependent civilizations. Chickens are not really Paleo in that sense, but wild animals are not plentiful as they were. It's a compromise to eat domesticated animals. I just found out we were allowed to bow hunt in my city on private land (with permission). Maybe we'll figure out how to leanr how to do that for the deer!

Funny how we think of them as

Funny how we think of them as "domesticated" when it is more like they just decide to hang out with us. We can coop them up inside and deny them food unless we give it to them, but cats are always being cats. They are genetically fine tuned to hunt mice and birds. Oh, and beat up any cats that wander into the neighborhood that aren't part of the family.

So they train all day long, and nights too. They chase small objects the size of a mouse; play with string, or gnaw on cords because that reminds them of a tail; jump for joy to get that feather toy because they love birds; and play fight all day and night long to be ready to combat stray cats who wander into their territory. Even if they have never seen a mouse, or caught a bird to know it's food, they all do everything they need to do naturally. We have to learn to be primal, they ARE primal, even if we keep them as pets and "think" we have domesticated them.

So true about cats! There is

So true about cats! There is an interesting book about the evolution of domesticated animals called the Covenant of the Wild where the author argues that, on an evolutionary level, animals chose humans just as much as humans chose them.

Are any of you backtracking

Are any of you backtracking at all in terms of Holiday eating? I have to admit that I've been a little less Paleo the past couple weeks, but at least I'm still within the ballpark of Paleo.

i heard one comedian saying

i heard one comedian saying the difference with cats and dogs.

a dog looks at us and thinks, "this person must be god, he feeds me, shelters me, loves me, he has to be god."

a cat looks at us and thinks, " this person feeds me, shelters me, loves me, i must be a god."

mike

if you can't laugh at something everyday, you can at least do it at yourself

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts