Paleo again faster

I'm finding it easier and

I'm finding it easier and easier to eat out. Just don't be afraid to ask for substitutions.

Most places are more then willing to swap out a side of fries with a house salad or some fresh or steamed veggies.

A few places even offer protein or Atkins specials although they may not be listed on the menu. Doesn't hurt to ask. I know Islands and L&L BBQ does. I absolutely love the L&L Atkins special.

I'm finding it really easy to

I'm finding it really easy to eat out now, but if and when I go dairy-free, I'm sure it will become a lot more challenging. I had a cobb salad the other night that was loaded with chicken, eggs, bacon, avacodo. And steak or fish, with a veggie side always works well.

I found out that Lou Malnati's in Chicago offers a crust-less deep dish pizza. Can't wait to try it.

That is an interesting

That is an interesting article. It is odd to think that a gene can be turned on or off. We are getting into a very ethically delicate point in science.

Hubby (capmikee) lost his

Hubby (capmikee) lost his gray hairs after we both started eating low carb. Both of us look way younger than we used to. Really, it sounds like they are not talking about ageing, per se (like gray hair and wrinkles) but about what we consider age-related diseases (and really should be considered carb/civilization related diseases). Diabetes is not an inevitable part of aging, nor is cancer, nor heart disease - we've just come to see it that way.

This part really irritates

This part really irritates me:
Professor Kenyon’s work is ­creating a wave of excitement among drug companies who’ve been researching molecules that will damp down the Grim Reaper and boost Sweet ­Sixteen, giving us the benefits of very low-calorie diets without the ­penalties. So far, none is very near being approved. I hate how everyone wants to take shortcuts for everything. We are becoming one big lab experiment.

Shacky wrote:This part really

Shacky said:
This part really irritates me:professor Kenyon’s work is ­creating a wave of excitement among drug companies who’ve been researching molecules that will damp down the Grim Reaper and boost Sweet ­Sixteen, giving us the benefits of very low-calorie diets without the ­penalties. So far, none is very near being approved. I hate how everyone wants to take shortcuts for everything. We are becoming one big lab experiment
Good point. I think this is something like running, where taking a simple approach can work. If you eat real foods and avoid stuff that is overly processed and manufactured, you will be going in the right direction.
Why do we need a pill for everything?

I've been on a vegetarian

I've been on a vegetarian diet since the 1st of May. I really miss steak & hamburgers. So this Paleo thing sounded pretty good. And then I read some stuff online about why the Paleo method is the way it should be. Seems like the information gets skewed depending on whether the writer is pro-veg or pro-meat.

So I think I'll adopt a new way of eating. I dunno...maybe just eat a mixture of all food groups in a balanced, portion controlled manner. I know, I know... you don't hear much about this. Maybe 'cause "balanced diet" doesn't sound catchy enough.

Maybe I'll call it the "undiet". Really, it boils down to thinking about what (and how much) we are putting in our bodies.

I think that whenever we change methods of choosing food, it is like changing to a new time management system. New system works pretty well as long as we are aware of what is going on. Then sloppy habits take back over and we're back to square one. Diets seem to me to work on the same premise.

So to all...I'm glad you have something that is working for you. Stay diligent!! ;-)

I do think we blame way too

I do think we blame way too much on carbs. An interesting point made about insulin is that it is regulated by excercise. Which I think is way more important than excluding most carbs from your diet.

The problem is you have two extremely healthy groups of people. Vegans on one end and Paleo's on the other and both see fabulous benefits in their diet choices. Now the question is why? If you listen to either camp they'll say the main caloric parts of the other (grains/meats) are bad for you. Obviously they both work though? I know veganism has the history piece on it's side where paleo doesn't.

Yeah Shacky that is what I meant about ethical issues, but honestly what is the difference between a weight loss drug and a stomach reduction surgery?

How does veganism have

How does veganism have history on its side? I don't think there is any vegan traditional diet. We are witnessing the first generation of vegans grow up, give birth, raise vegan children. It's a giant experiment.

I'm too lazy to do put up any

I'm too lazy to do put up any research, but there are studies that indicate that vegetarians and vegans are typically healthier than the general population. I meant that right now the Paleo diet has not had specific research that looks at the long term benefits. Sure I agree paleo is very effective for a lot of people. I just have a hard time believing that meat is necessary, when I am perfectly healthy, and actually healthier than I ever was as a meat eater. But that is probably becasue I run barefoot now :)

Besides I have a real issue with the economical and environmental impact that eating meat has on our society and earth. That affects my decision much more than any potential health benefits it possibly provides.

But I agree more with the paleo diet than almost any other diet.

Abide wrote:Besides I have a

Abide said:
Besides I have a real issue with the economical and environmental impact that eating meat has on our society and earth. That affects my decision much more than any potential health benefits it possibly provides.
I think a lot of Paleo eaters would agree with your sentiment. There are definitely better and worse ways to aquire meat. I'm no fan of the corn fed, hormone injected animals that become a good portion of what constitutes meat in America.

Well, here's some food for

Well, here's some food for thought, no pun intended.

My husband, as I've mentioned, is a bow hunter and hunts deer during the season. He has a fancy bow, yet last season he shot one doe and tried to shoot another one (lots of people want deer meat, and he enjoys the sport), and didn't. We froze the meat and ate it for almost a year. This season he has yet to shoot a deer and he's gone out every Friday and some nights during the week. So if we were paleo, we'd basically BE vegan, unless we killed a chicken (did the paleo people have chickens?), until he shot a deer, and then I assume we'd eat deer until we were totally stuffed and would salt-preserve the rest if we could.

So perhaps it's both and.....but it is true that grains don't figure into either, really.

Everyone should read your

Everyone should read your guide, Saypay. I just did and commented on your blog. It was AWESOME!

Thanks jake.  I appreciate

Thanks jake. I appreciate the plug and the comments on my blog. It feels my AW nature nicely.

I looked around online and I couldn't find anything that was just a step by step, here's what you need to do to get started. It's all pretty advanced. Hopefully I filled the void with something semi-practical.

SP -- I highly recommend Robb

SP -- I highly recommend Robb Wolf's blog and podcast as a resource. I first learned about him from the post on Tim Ferriss' blog. His book is pretty good, too. But everything he covers in the book is on his web site and podcast.

I'm about 2/3 the way to pure Paleo right now. I still eat a lot of cheese. But even only being 2/3 the way there, I've noticed some really good changes in my body.

Another site that comes to mind is Mark's Daily Apple, which probably covers a lot of the same stuff that Robb Wolf's site does, but in a slightly different style. MDA also has a really active community that contributes a ton to that site.

Where Robb Wolf's blog might not have quite the community feel of the MDA site, he has more in the way of geeky good info on the whole topic.