Paleo again faster

TJ -- That's right on a

TJ -- That's right on a certain level. But we don't have to eat carbs for that to happen. Our bodies can make them if necessary. And most organs can do pretty well on fats, proteins, and ketone bodies. In fact, certain organs actually do better on non-sugar fuel sources.

But there are a number of "essential" fatty acids and amino acids. Those are things our bodies can't produce on their own.

Interesting tread, I'll have

Interesting tread, I'll have to get the book and read up on it. The diet makes sense I'll have to give it a try. On another similar note has anyone seen the documentary King Corn? You will be suprised how much corn is in our diet. Also check out the documentary Food Inc.

Atkinseers always say that

Atkinseers always say that the brain refers ketones as fuel (product of fat burning). I never looked into it because I just go by how I feel and not studies. I think different people's bodies have different preferences. Hubby eats esseintially zero carb most days and that keeps his brain functioning at a much higher level than when he was slumped over in a postpranidal haze. I never adapted to very low carb with my energy levels, but I think people who tend towards high blood sugar do better on very low carb and those with normal blood sugar have issues with it.

I've heard different figures,

I've heard different figures, but the one I hear most often is that the brain needs about 70g of carbohydrates per day. It's true that you don't need to eat carbohydrates to get them, though: you liver can turn protein into carbs using a process called "gluconeogenesis." I wouldn't have a problem with eating 70g of carbs per day because I think that's more efficient than burning protein for energy, but it just so happens that most carbohydrate foods make me feel like total cr*p, so I don't eat them.

There is an interesting diet based on the books of a Polish dietician named Jan Kwasniewski. "Dr. K" recommends a low-carb, low-protein, high-fat diet - a typical recommendation would be 30g carbs, 60g protein, 150g fat per day. Personally I like my protein, but it's been something I've thought about trying from time to time.

jschwab wrote:Atkinseers

jschwab said:
Atkinseers always say that the brain refers ketones as fuel (product of fat burning). I never looked into it because I just go by how I feel and not studies. I think different people's bodies have different preferences. Hubby eats esseintially zero carb most days and that keeps his brain functioning at a much higher level than when he was slumped over in a postpranidal haze. I never adapted to very low carb with my energy levels, but I think people who tend towards high blood sugar do better on very low carb and those with normal blood sugar have issues with it.
I think there's also a variability in adapting to very low carbs. For me, personally, when I go ketogenic, it's almost a euphoric feeling, and my energy and mood go up considerably. However, I've read that some people can take weeks to adjust to low carbs.

Yeah, there are a ton of

Yeah, there are a ton of holes in the paleo argument. I am still on the diet with some minor variation because it's easy and it makes me feel good. I've never really gotten the argument against potatos, legumes, and dairy, so I tend to eat those in smaller quantities. I don't eat any grains and processed foods though...not because they aren't "caveman food", but because they make my stomach turn now.

I'm not all that concerned

I'm not all that concerned with arguments for or against Paleo. But what I'm concerned with are results. So far, cutting out sugar and grains has been a big plus. Robb Wolf goes into great detail about why grains, legumes and dairy have adverse effects on our bodies. It seems like the science is catching up fast, in terms of spelling out what's happening in terms of the biochemistry.

My main motivator initially was to reduce inflammation. The other stuff that came with that has been a pleasant bonus.

I was just posting that

I was just posting that tongue in cheek. It is awesome that you have found a diet that works for you and keeps healthy. And actually my main beef against paleo has nothing to do with health. So I honestly could care less what the prehistoric man ate.

The science I have read though is not very definitive. It seems like a lot of assumptions are made. Maybe I'm reading the wrong stuff. Got any links?

Abide - the assumption case

Abide - the assumption case can be said about most main stream diets and I agree that Paleo is the same.

I follow more of what Mark over at Mark's Daily Apple suggests but even he raises my ire on a few things.

As far as Paleo for Athletes goes, I still have a major beef with that. I find it absolytely absurd to tell people to not eat such and such food items since they are poisonous to the human body....but go ahead and eat them if you are a high cardio athelete. Friggin stupid. There are plenty of carbs to be eaten that are paleo friendly.

Nate nailed it: listen to

Nate nailed it: listen to your body, stay away from "book diets" and eat whatcha want. Sounds like good advice to me because everybody's different.

Sigh. I think when this

Sigh. I think when this thread started I may have still been eating a little dairy, especially butter. I have had 2 anaphyactic full blown throat tightening reactions to inadvertently having dairy recently. My plan of eating cheese again "someday" is gone forever. Paleo plus potatoes seems to be the only diet I can handle at all.

That's what I thought you

That's what I thought you would say about Paleo for Athletes Shacky. I haven't read the book, only some summaries. But it is a little ridiculous that the argument is that certain foods are bad for you, except when they aren't.

I tried the Paleo for Athletes thing for a few days after I mentioned it, and ate one of my old favorite recovery foods (peanut butter and honey toast). It made my stomach go crazy. The next day I switched to one of my cold weather post run favorites (hot chocolate). That was really good. Like most have said, I'd rather just find foods that work for me and eat them when they work for me. I still like Paleo because it gives me a good road map of what to eat and when though.

jschwab wrote:Sigh. I think

jschwab said:
Sigh. I think when this thread started I may have still been eating a little dairy, especially butter. I have had 2 anaphyactic full blown throat tightening reactions to inadvertently having dairy recently. My plan of eating cheese again "someday" is gone forever. Paleo plus potatoes seems to be the only diet I can handle at all.

I definitely can tell when I eat dairy, it really messes with my digestion. Cows milk is actually the only real food I have found that affects me negatively?

Have you tried goat/sheep cheese or milk?

I would have tried those

I would have tried those until this "yes, you might someday die from milk" thing came along. I love goat's cheese and goat's milk yogurt. I already was dealing with a recently new shellfish allergy (anaphylaxis) so I rationalized the dairy thing a little and was not as careful after the first reaction as I should have been. I am having testing, but I would not risk any kind of mammal's milk at all - each episode was terrifying. It's like my whole immune system freaked out at once to get these two allergies at once. Apparently, they are the two most common adult food allergies, though. It's sad - I used to live in the canton where they make my favorite cheese.

Wondering if anyone else here

Wondering if anyone else here finds eating out a real challenge?

Jschwab, I so relate regarding dairy: it took several months of misery in my guts to finally concede that eating dairy + eggs on purpose is like willingly swallowing a giant balloon of nausea & cramps & suffering for 3 days. Thankfully I don't have anaphylactic reactions (already got that t-shirt) but that must be terrifying because in my experience, at restaurants frequently my "no dairy" request is respected as to cheese, but then they load up on butter unless I'm super specific.

Yeah that would be hard

Yeah that would be hard Jschwab and you are right just stay away. What I don;t understand is a cow's milk is best suited for a baby cow. Why we would so profilifcally drink it, and be such a negative breast feeding society is absolutely beyond me. Oh well rant off.

Twinkletoes, eggs bother you too? That is interesting, usually it is just the issues with lactose.

I have heard that research

I have heard that research shows that Northern Europeans particularly developed a genetic adaption to drinking cow's milk into adulthood (meaning we don't develop lactose intolerance as young children like everyone else - mama milk has lactose, too). If you ever read Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Tess the milkmaid is considered odd for drinking milk - milk was for cheese and butter. I'm not sure when it became widespread to actually drink mik - probably early 20th century. Drinking milk/eating lots of cheese and cream was probably a peasant thing. It certainly was traditionally in Switzerland. Fondue is peasant food.

It doesn't make sense to me

It doesn't make sense to me either Abide, and it's only been through trial and error that I've figured any of this out as pertains to my system. Eggs and dairy are always lumped together for some reason that I've never understood. I am completely dairy-free, but when I eat eggs (hens raised by friends) regularly, I get low-grade flu-like symptoms. I just try to eat them more sparingly because I am a high-protein person and they are so good when raised in someone's backyard!

Eating out on paleo isn't as

Eating out on paleo isn't as hard as it seems if you know where to go. Fast food restaurants are pretty much out of the question, unless you get a salad. Wendy's is good because they have a good bean-less chili. Sit down food is pretty easy. Most restaurants have a steak and chops menu.

When I go out, I don't get all bent out of shape about ingredients. I'm sure there non-paleo things in my food. But since eating out is a once in a while kind of thing, I don't care much about breaking the rules