Pain on outer leg above ankle

5t3ph4n13

Barefooters
Jan 29, 2012
Ok, so for the past week or so I have been having a strange pain. It doesn't hurt when I run... But I will feel mild soreness after runs and when I press down on this spot (see picture) there is some pain. I haven't been able to determine what it could be based on muscle and ligament/tendon anatomy pictures I have looked at. It is not my soleus. The soreness/pain is very localized- not extending to the back or front of the leg but running up and down the leg 1-1.5" below where my finger is, with the focal point where my finger is located. The pain is right next to and behind the bone on the outside of my lower leg. There is no pain when bearing weight on the leg, flexing or pointing the foot, or rotating my ankle. There is barely any soreness when walking around... I just noticed it was slightly sore in that area after a run a week or so ago and I had mild pain when I pressed down. Any ideas? Just want to figure out what might be stressed there so I can correct my form.

6948416716_e4e7b936d7_d.jpg

I had some pain there when I first went 100% minimal/barefoot (not running yet but everything else). It came on after a 5 mile walk and stuck around for about a week. I figured it was just part of the adjustment away from the cushioned shoes and orthotics. Massage helped some too.

I had a pain in that region that I ignored and it sidelined me for just about all of March. My massage therapist told me my peroneus longus was very tight. I saw her weekly, used "the stick" several times a day, stopped using the hot tub, and stopped stretching. I changed the way I sit at my desk, instead of "on my toes" (dorsiflexed) went to plantar flexed.

Once I did all those things, it went away in a week. I wish I had taken care of it when it was a minor annoyance.

Heat promotes inflamation. Ice fights it, hence the "I" in R.I.C.E.

Now after every run, I take an ice bath instead. It doesn't really involve ice, but here is what I do. After any run over 3 miles I remove my shorts, leaving on my shirt. I get in an empty tub. Turn on the cold tap and sit in it while it fills up. When the water is just over my knees I turn off the tap. By this time I usually have also wrapped my towel around my upper body. When I start to shiver, I stand up and just soak my feet while the water drains. Then follow up with a cool/lukewarm shower.

I have also taken to doing all my runs wearing Zensa calf sleaves, and I wear diabetic compression socks all day at work. Rite Aid has them in navy and black for less than $20.

All together this is working very well for me.

I had the same thing. It sidelined me for a long time but it never got better from rest so eventually I gave up, dealt with the pain an just ran on it. Didn't seem to help or hurt it. Eventually it went away. I tried anti-inflamatories, compression sleeves and random other "cures" nothing made it better except time.

I significantly pulled something just over a year ago that seemed connected up the side behind my knee ( may have been my popliteal tendon?), but also radiated down to where you show in the picture. It healed well once I started applying heat and then massaging the calf region on a regular basis (myself). I did have to initially take about a month off of running. I find I still once in a while get tight there and doing the same thing helps a lot.

That could be Peroneal Tendonitis, the tendon on the side of leg about where your pointing in the picture...it goes down the ankle around and under the bone that sticks out on the side of your ankle. Take a tennis ball or something like that and massage the area and really the whole lower legs. Soaking your lower legs in ice water after running can help too. What really helped me the most that was doing some balancing exercises like standing on one foot or standing on a wobble board.

Like ajb422 said resting and not running didn't make it go away for me...I had a long history ankle sprang's and the ankle muscles were weak. Something else that helped me was to run more often but with less distance each run.

That spot will flare up on me sometimes. A good self massage will help. Really dig your thumbs into the spot and then run them up and down the entire length of the lower leg.

Cold baths are good. Good tip about leaving your shirt on, or wrapping your upper body with a towel. I'm just too lazy to do them after every run, or I've got to get to work, but they really help.

Icing is for immediately after injury to reduce swelling. Alternating between hot/cold is best to promote tissue healing . It has something to do with promoting blood flow in and out to remove damage/waste and bring in supplies to repair. I do it in the shower or two buckets if its for my feet - 1 min hot / 30 secs cold and repeat (and end on cold).

I am also a fan of massaging.

Reactions: dutchie53
massaging and compression sleeves will do the trick.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts