Pacific Crest Trail

Wayne Whiting

Barefooters
Mar 8, 2012
I have hiked/run different parts of the PCT in California and Oregon, but never barefoot. The books I have read on the PCT always talk about the nightmares of blisters and your choice of boots.

Is through hiking the PCT even possible? The lava beds of Oregon are pretty gnarly.

I've only hiked part of it down by Crater Lake in OR barefoot which was definitely doable barefoot. I can see how other parts of it may not be as easy barefoot though.

that depends on you.

i saw Kelly Slater, pro surfer, talking about how some kids took him and his friends to a surfing spot. they were running bf on coral reef and he and his friends were hobbling in their shoes.

Reactions: paraganek
I've hiked the entire PCT and yes we get loads of blisters. It was so bad I switched from my light hiking boots to sandals and the my sandals gave me blisters. I believe this is due to the high mileage and when you consider your feet are damp inside your boot, it really encourages blisters. But eventually your feet get use to the miles and then you increase the miles so your feet just hurt a lot, but if you keep the miles below 30 per day it isn't too bad. The whole trip was a blast and I would love to do it again and try barefoot. In 1999 it was year with record snow fall, so it would have been difficult to do it 100% barefoot, but still interesting to try.

I wish I had know about barefoot hiking back then cause I would have tried it. For the most part the trail is pretty easy, I might be concerned with thorns and maybe bites from little critters in the sand, but seeing how I only saw a few dangerous reptiles on the hike, it is probably just as likely I would gets worms from walking barefoot. Perceptions die hard even once you believe barefoot hiking is safe. And your feet would get really tough, so just try and see and bring back up or plan to walk slow in someplaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barefoot TJ