Pace BF vs Shod

babysteps3446

Barefooters
Jul 19, 2010
Was hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have more experience running barefoot. I have been running bf (exclusively) a little over 3 months now after having run in shoes for 7 years. Before I took off my shoes, my average, day-dream aerobic pace was around 9:15-9:45 per mi. pace on 6-10 mile runs. Although I feel I'm making good progress where I'm comfortably running 4 miles every other day, my pace at the same perceived (bf) effort, is only 10:30-10:50 per mi. pace. Just wondering how long will it take before I get my pace back to when I was running in shoes?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Tom

Within a year of running

Within a year of running barefoot, I was able to take 15 minutes off my half marathon time. Most people eventually get back their speed, and many report increases in their speed. That's not to say that barefoot running necessarily encourages faster speeds. There could be many other factors involved as to why someone increases speed, fitness level, diet, etc. If you keep at it though, I believe you will at least get back to where you were before you chucked the shoes.

TJ- The 15 minutes you

TJ- The 15 minutes you took off your half marathon was that run bf, or did you wear some sort of minimalist shoes? I have read some bfr's train mostly bf, but usually race with something just to get faster times.

I've been running a mix of bf

I've been running a mix of bf and vff's for 7 months. I'm much faster and fitter now than I have been since high school. I've shaved over a minute off m y 5k pr...down to 19:16, and went under 3:30 in a marathon for the first time ever. I've even started doing speedwork at the track once a week with a few of the high school XC kids and parents. I do all my speed work and 5k's BF. I use my VFF classics for everything else. I am definately faster BF, but prefer the vff's for longer runs as they allow me to focus on racing and tactics versus being overly caught up in dodging twigs and pebbles.

Running BF or minimalist has made me much more efficient, which is translating to more speed over a longer period of time. Be patient and the speed will come back, and you'll be stronger than ever.

dirtdemon77 wrote:, but

dirtdemon77 said:
, but prefer the vff's for longer runs as they allow me to focus on racing and tactics versus being overly caught up in dodging twigs and pebbles.

I keep seeing this sentiment...and really, without any judgment from me, just curiosity...why do you spend time and energy dodging these things? Keep the feet relaxed and your step light, and your foot just conforms over them...

Or they just break...right

Or they just break...right nate? I'm sorry I couldnt resist that but I think the answer is that it takes a lot of training to get to where you are with self awareness in the absence of focus. the average person cannot tune it out and just let it ride. it takes a lot of practice to get there. i'm sure you remember what it was like the first time you jumped into some yoga.

Nate, the short answer

Nate, the short answer is...

Its a real challange for me to run fast and keep my feet relaxed.

I'm fairly new to racing in the front of the pack, so there is a lot going through my head during a race. Even the smallest distraction, when combined with the fatigue of a longer race, could throw off my performance.

Thanks guys....I guess it's

Thanks guys....I guess it's back to the racing thing...of which I have absolutely no knowledge of....I think, for me, one of the things I really like and drew me into the whole barefoot running thing was that it supports every other concept I've worked on for the last decade in both my kung fu/taiji and yoga training.....head stays level, no up/down movement, knees stay bent, move from the center, and above all else, find the ease and relaxation in the movement....for me, dodging stuff on the trail negates the ease and relaxation, and if I feel something "pointy" on my foot fall, I quicken the lift of the other foot and transfer my weight forward a little faster so there's very little contact with said sharp thing

That was barefoot, Baby,

That was barefoot, Baby, nothing on my feet.

Thanks all! I'm encouraged...

Thanks all! I'm encouraged... The thought of doing any tempo/interval work right now seems a mile way, but hearing from you and how far you've come gives me hope...

Tom

I find my times are a little

I find my times are a little better than what I woud expect in shoes (and I am faster barefoot than in water shoes) for a couple of reasons - heat loss is much better barefoot so same effort produces faster runsplus any weight on the feet slows me down significantly . And no shoes are remotely comparable to bare on the downhills, even minimalist shoes - you just can't get the same traction. I am a road/sidewalk runner and racer and am pretty slow (fastest 5K was 30:51). I think all my PR's will come BF. I have a slightly downhill mile race in August and I am hoping to pick up some advantage there and turn out a PR (mile PR in training is about a 8:40).

My pace has slowed since

My pace has slowed since starting barefoot but I think this is due to the shoes allowing me to run artificially fast. I have found that I'm able to train at a lower heart rate now without feeling as though I'm clumping along and this is starting to pay off as my speed is increasing whilst my HR is staying the same.

My 10k PB stands at 44.57 at the moment and I just ran a tough 10k in 46.20 in the VFF's despite picking up a big blister so I think I'm getting there. I haven't quite picked up the courage to run a race BF yet as it's not as common over in the UK as it is in the states so I stand out like a sore thumb.

I matched my shod speed 7

I matched my shod speed 7 months into my transition of barefoot running. I was 18 year shod runner before running barefoot.

My average pace now is around 8:30. The fastest I ran barefoot so far was 3 miles at a 7:20 pace. It's easy to get caught in a comfort zone with barefoot running. You need to push yourself and order to achieve new progress.

Enjoy the transition Rob!

Enjoy the transition Rob!

Which bit of "God's own county" are you from? I'm from Sheffield (mi sen) but I've not lived there in nearly 35 years.

Take it easy and your speed will pick up. I didn't start barefooting until April this year and was at a comfortable 9 minute pace at the beginning but I've since run several loops of Central Park (6 miles) at 7.30ish pace. In 5 fingers I did manage 6.45 for a 6k event recently but I don't run to race.

I'm from Leeds Chris. Nice to

I'm from Leeds Chris. Nice to hear from a fellow yorkshireman (albeit not any more).

Keep running.....

adam james wrote:I matched

adam james said:
I matched my shod speed 7 months into my transition of barefoot running. I was 18 year shod runner before running barefoot.

Seven months eh? I guess if my progress continues at the same rate (or slightly slower) than the first three months, that would make sense. Being a little cautious on my transition, may hold off on any tempo runs until my bf pace matches my old shod pace. From all the feedback I've received, " patience" will be rewarded...

Tom

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test