Overnight with the yak

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
So since the barefoot hiking topics had come up recently I posted about a brief daytrip I did minimalist, and thought about mentioning a paddling trip but never got around to uploading any pics until bfsailer's canoeing post reminded me. Not hiking, but in the same spirit of outdoor adventuring beyond where pavement ends.

The only overnight trip I did in the last year was with the kayak, not far from here on Ohio's Kokosing River. A friend and I got permission to camp overnight on a small island thats part of the County Park District's park. Its about perfectly situated in the middle of the 28 mile long river making a nice two day trip that you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to make.

And not that it makes much any difference sitting, but of course I was barefoot! With some minimalist for backup.

So might as well share some pics! I've been down the river once each of the last three years so some of these are from other trips, just trying to pick out the best pics.

IMG_0309_1024.jpg

My overnight accommodations. My friends tent isn't even visible on the other side of the trees right behind mine.

IMG_0122.jpg

800_IMG_0155.jpg

800_IMG_0222.jpg

800_IMG_0246.jpg

800_IMG_0251.jpg

There are a few spots which Sycamores have been planted to restore riparian habitat along the river. Not sure if this was one of those spots, or they are just naturally occurring here.

eagle1.jpg

First time I have seen a Bald Eagle in the wild. This is from my first trip on the river, and didn't have much of a camera so thats the best I could do on max zoom since the eagle was quite high in the sky by the time we got the camera out.

eagle2.jpg

eagle3.jpg

At least I assumed it was a Bald Eagle, I'm no bird expert.

I concur on both accounts.

Looks beautiful. I'm heading out hiking in a couple of days, so your pics have got me all excited about getting away.

It's been quite a few years since I've done a long canoeing trip, but there's something to be said for paddling down a river with all your gear on board.

My hubby and I often dreamed about taking our SeaDoos down some of the rivers with our gear packed in the various compartments. That was BC though, so maybe when our kids are older...?

Great pics, I wish our rivers looked that nice and calm. I always feel like I am going overboard when we paddle down or up ours.

Outstanding! I've toyed with doing an overnight trip using either the kayak or the Hobie Cat. What was the weight of you + gear? Did you find the kayak to be tippy/top heavy at all? Did you strap anything to the deck or was it all underneath?

Also, do you have to register kayaks in OH? The 4th picture looks like you have license numbers on the bow...

My hubby and I often dreamed about taking our SeaDoos down some of the rivers with our gear packed in the various compartments. That was BC though, so maybe when our kids are older...?

Our kids are only 2.5 months and 3 years old and we already have some of those plans.

Hi Lauren! We used to go jet skiing with our oldest when he was an only child. One of us would ride with him while the other "went nuts" on the water; then we'd change, taking turns. Then when I got pregnant with our youngest, I was about 4-5 months pregnant (and very showing), we went jet skiing during the drought here in Georgia. I was hauling hiney when all of a sudden, my SeaDoo got stuck in the muck. I climbed off to find there was barely any water below me. I start waving my arms to my hubby who had our son with him to stop, but it was too late. Now they were stuck. We had to rock these monstrous 3-seat SeaDoos back and forth and back and forth while pushing them and trying to get them back into any kind of depth of water. After that, I was done! We knew we wouldn't be able to jet ski with two little ones, so we sold those and bought a boat! Ha! Good times! Good memories. I do miss jet skiing down the fingers of the lakes and rivers though. That was fun.

Thanks all!

Great pics, I wish our rivers looked that nice and calm. I always feel like I am going overboard when we paddle down or up ours.
There are 2 rough spots on that trip, but in low water conditions its really nothing. The first one can be class III in high flow conditions. I have no experience whatsover with whitewater, and the first time we went though it we did take on some water. Most of my paddling experience comes from the gentle lakes of the Adirondacks.

Outstanding! I've toyed with doing an overnight trip using either the kayak or the Hobie Cat. What was the weight of you + gear? Did you find the kayak to be tippy/top heavy at all? Did you strap anything to the deck or was it all underneath?

Also, do you have to register kayaks in OH? The 4th picture looks like you have license numbers on the bow...

No clue on the weight really, I have a pretty heavy recreational tandem, and most often pilot it single using the other seat for storage. Unlike hiking where I am squeezing ounces, I throw on whatever heavy gear I want on the kayak (as long as I don't have any portages). I had gear stuffed up inside the rear hull, I had a duffle bag in the rear seat tied down, and just a couple things bungied to the front deck.

Every kayak is going to be different though, some are much more stable some are tippy. Some have water tight hatches some not. I've done more paddling in Old Town Discovery 158 canoes loaded up with gear. Those are big heavy busses compared to most yaks, but very stable. We did lots of portages with those too.

Yeah, we have to register kayaks in Ohio. Its silly really, we didn't have to do that in NY even.