Out for a couple weeks

NakedSoleNate

Barefooters
May 27, 2010
bugger bugger bugger....

so this is what happened....actually, I don't know what happened...yesterday AM, I left the studio for a nice 6 mile run....was feeling very good...slight little twinge at mile 2 in the right ankle from the twist a couple of weeks ago, but didn't feel bad...run was pretty flat trail, 3 miles out....then the plan was the macadam road 3 miles back....

I was completely enjoying the run, felt good, light, muscles felt fine, feet felt fine....breath was fantastic...then, at 3.5 miles, what felt at first like a "cramp" entered into my lower left leg, just above the ankle, towards the front of the leg....and it quickly grew quite painful, and spreading to the ankle...I was 2 miles out of town, no way to get back....I tried to run....then I walked, painfully...then ran again, realizing it didn't hurt any more to run very slowly than it did to walk...and made my way back to the studio. There was no "twist" "fall" "stumble" or other "trauma causing" action....

It was painful all day yesterday, iced, elevation, etc....kept me up most of the night...hurting even when not moving....

Went to the Dr. this am...(he was busy so got the PA)...I told her all of this...got an x-ray, of the ankle, even though I said I thought it was the leg mostly....nothing shows up...no bruise yet, not much swelling....just excruciating pain. Nothing shows up on the x-ray....she says it's a bad sprain.

I stay off it all day....it's swelling (even with ice and meds)...beginning to bruise a bit...and it hurts in ways that sprains (in my experience) don't hurt. I'm pretty sure it's a stress fracture, even if the ankle is isolated, if I try to lift the leg upwards off the cushion, my lower leg howls and doesn't feel like it moves with the rest of my leg.

But, either way, I'm out of running for a month or more :-(. At least I can teach yoga from my mat.

And because of this, my "healing" right ankle is acting up a bit, and I'm having visions of Stephen King's "Misery".....LOL

I'm not usually a whiner, but I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. If it's still this painful by monday, I'm headed to the orthopedist.

I think this is a good thing, because I was really thinking I didn't have any limits !!!! :-D

Yikes, Nate.  I am soooooo

Yikes, Nate. I am soooooo sorry. It sounds just like a stress fracture. Maybe you and Zum can swap stories and such. Speedy healing to you.

yeah, maybe Zum and I can

yeah, maybe Zum and I can hang out at the bar and build up a calorie reserve to burn off when we can run again!!!! :)

Thinking too TJ.....another

Thinking too TJ.....another good thing that can come out of this...I should have some time to shoot you out some sort of literary item ;-)...as my kung fu training will be severely modified as well.

Most excellent.  Looking

Most excellent. Looking forward to it.

What a drag. You have a great

What a drag. You have a great 'tude towards it all. That is important.

thanks everyone....the ONLY

thanks everyone....the ONLY reason this injury MIGHT be related to running barefoot...is that if I wasn't running barefoot, I probably wouldn't be running at all :)

I was talking to one of my good friends who is a life-time distance runner, and he is of the opinion it's my over all conditioning that led to this...that most of my body is in really good shape, but I'm new to running, so my capacity is "high" while some of the other conditioning that is directly related to the actual "running" isn't there...but for most people who start to run, it's the lack of other conditioning that makes them need to back off (i.e. lack of heart/breath conditioning, leg muscle conditioning, foot conditioning, etc)..and they keep you from being able to do TMTS...i.e. they get sore, back off, get sore again, back off...etc...so while I have good stability for things like kicking, balance, etc, might not have the conditioning in the bones of the lower leg for the repetitive stress of running, but because of my strength, I wouldn't necissarily "feel" stress on the bones/tendons until something like this happened.....don't know, what do you guys think? Kinda makes sense to me....

I mean, truley, this run felt absolutley wonderful, until it didn't :-D.

NakedSoleNate wrote: I was

NakedSoleNate said:
I was talking to one of my good friends who is a life-time distance runner, and he is of the opinion it's my over all conditioning that led to this...that most of my body is in really good shape, but I'm new to running, so my capacity is "high" while some of the other conditioning that is directly related to the actual "running" isn't there...but for most people who start to run, it's the lack of other conditioning that makes them need to back off

That's exactly the conclusion we came to when Mr :davie: Deplume started running the first time, about 4 years ago. He was in otherwise great shape when he started on the C25K plan. Because it seemed too easy, he quickly left it in the dust and way overdid it. He ended up with a nasty case of IT Band-itis, and stopped running. The following spring he started again, following the 12-week program to the letter and has beeen quite successful in avoiding injury.

That makes sense to me. I

That makes sense to me. I always cringe when I see questions on running forums where the person is saying stuff like "oh, I already bike and spin, so I can start out with a five mile run out the gate, right?" and people always say, yes, of course. But aerobic conditioning is cheaply won - just take a little heavy breathing and add sweat. It's all the fine tuning the muscles and tendons and joints that is critical.

Gee, that's bummer news.

Gee, that's bummer news. I've been out myself about three weeks with TOFP thats slow to go away. How long have you been BFR and how many miles a week do you do BF? I have found that the only thing that seems to be helping me is soaking my foot each night in an ice bath. I have a small, old cooler that I put ice and water in. I put my foot in for as long as I can stand it, remove it for a little while, then back in. Hope you get a handle on your problem and get it solved.

I think so. I don't cycle

I think so. I don't cycle (except for the odd spin class) but there are back muscles that need to be built up - cycling puts alot of pressure on the neck. Also, it's risky if you are inexperienced and falls can happen, right? Of course, I am going to tell you to DO IT, though.

I think so. I don't cycle

I think so. I don't cycle (except for the odd spin class) but there are back muscles that need to be built up - cycling puts alot of pressure on the neck. Also, it's risky if you are inexperienced and falls can happen, right? Of course, I am going to tell you to DO IT, though.

yeah, I never had any pain

yeah, I never had any pain though....

anyway, saw the Dr. this afternoon....sprain of the anterior tibial tendons...have to stay off it until it "doesn't hurt"....then back to running slowly...

Oh, well....I'll be back on the mountain in no time :-D

Mique.....
I do everything barefoot...have for a long time...but I just started running seriously in April...before I twisted the right ankle 2.5 weeks ago, I was running about 20 miles a week...it finally felt good, so I was going to start 20-30 this week....

Most of my runs this last month have been 4-5 miles....some around 6...and longer ones up to 8 were mostly run/hike....

I do try to listen to my body....and like I said, I wasn't having ANY ISSUES...no blisters, no soreness, no next day soreness....never had TOFP....

sometimes these things just happen :)

Really though, I'm already 4

Really though, I'm already 4 weeks into recovery if you can believe it. It flew by! My foot is feeling strong and I'm really itching for a run. While on vacation last week, I was barefoot 99% of the time, walking to and from the cabin to the dock to boat, beach, lodge...everywhere. It was amazing, even the gravel ;) I thought of you and your rocky runs. Learn something about yourself during your recovery, let your strength build and it will carry you through your "sentence". Hang in there, soon this will all be behind us.

NakedSoleNate wrote: yeah,

NakedSoleNate said:
yeah, maybe Zum and I can hang out at the bar and build up a calorie reserve to burn off when we can run again!!!! :)

ah buggar N3!! Misery loves company, meet me over at the Pub for a cold one :)

thanks Zum ...just trying to

thanks Zum :)...just trying to be a good and patient patient :)...Not having many problems teaching yoga from crutches....Tai Chi class this AM took a little more creativity though :)...so I'm honing some verbal skills :-D. I'm sure it will go by fast, and I'll be back on the mountain in no time!!