Optimal strength training for runners

Yeah that's typically how I do it. And if you look at my plan it's basically two main lifts plus four assistance lifts. I just do a couple less sets.

I think it is good advice to think, what is the purpose of this lift and how does it contribute to your goals. But your flexible method gives you the leeway to adjust as required.

Calves are finally feeling a little better gonna try to get a good 8 hours of sleep tonight and get back at it in the morning. I have noticed sickness and the lack of sleep have the same symptoms for me. Maybe that's all your feeling?

Yeah that's typically how I do it. And if you look at my plan it's basically two main lifts plus four assistance lifts. I just do a couple less sets.

I think it is good advice to think, what is the purpose of this lift and how does it contribute to your goals. But your flexible method gives you the leeway to adjust as required.

Calves are finally feeling a little better gonna try to get a good 8 hours of sleep tonight and get back at it in the morning. I have noticed sickness and the lack of sleep have the same symptoms for me. Maybe that's all your feeling?
For me there's a difference between tired and sickly tired. I can feel head cold symptoms bubbling just under the surface with the latter, and unlike straight tired, coffee doesn't help much get through the day. Yesterday it felt like sick tired, today it's more tired tired. I'll try to run three miles in a bit and hopefully that will lead to a good night's rest tonight and I'll be back on track.

Yah, I really like my current schedule. I took several months of obsessive messing, but it's really complete, with all my favorite exercises (and good reasons for why and how I've included them), yet also really flexible. It easily converts into a minimalistic schedule, no further thinking necessary, if I'm pressed for time. I just switch out the primary lifts of the middle and top segments to the following day, and don't repeat my upper body pulls a second time on the third day:

Monday
Bottom: [1] Deadlift, [2] Hip Hinge Swing, [3] Hip Thrust, [4] Loaded Carry/Tipping Bird

Tuesday
Middle: [1] DB Row, [2] Cable Seated Row, [3] Renegade Row, [4] DB Woodchopper
Top: [1] Supine Pulldown, [2] Straight Arm Pulldown, [3] Face Pull, [4] Rope Twist

Wednesday
Bottom: [1] Squat, [2] Overhead Squat, [3] Good Morning, [4] Lunge

Thursday
Middle: [1] Bench Press (DB/BB), [2] Dips, [3] Crossover Fly (strap), [4] Ab Fallout (strap)
Top: [1] Overhead Press (DB/BB), [2] Shoulder Swing, [3] Front/Side Raises, [4] Shrugs

Friday
Bottom: [1] Power Clean, [2] Hang Clean, [3] Front Squat, [4] Power Snatch
Middle: [1] T-Bar Row, [2] Russian Twist, [3] Reverse Fly (strap), [4] Pike (strap)
Top: [1] Neutral Grip Pulldown, [2] Rope Pushdown, [3] Biceps Curls (BB/EZ-bar), [4] Bench Pullover

Or more schematically
Monday
Lower body: Deadlift

Tuesday
Upper body: Pull

Wednesday
Lower body: Squat

Thursday
Upper body: Push

Friday
Power Clean & Arms

I moved a few things around with my dumbbell routine. It's quick, and I'm able to stay consistent with it. I've also noticed an improvement in my energy. I do it before my jog with the dogs morning and evening.

dead, single db row
single db overhead squat, kb high pull
squat, pulldown
single db clean and press, bench

Reactions: Bare Lee
I moved a few things around with my dumbbell routine. It's quick, and I'm able to stay consistent with it. I've also noticed an improvement in my energy. I do it before my jog with the dogs morning and evening.

dead, single db row
single db overhead squat, kb high pull
squat, pulldown
single db clean and press, bench
Looks like a nice, balanced, compact routine that hits all the basic zones. How do you like those overhead squats? I think it's smart to do the weights before the jog, with full energy stores.

Reactions: Sid
How do you like those overhead squats?
I tried the double db overhead squat, and I could feel it working areas similar to those in the squat and the press. However, it felt like a compromise, as it wasn't working either area fully. (I could see someone replacing the squat and press with the overhead squat, if they were short for time.)

I liked the single db overhead squat, as it definitely felt like it was working different areas that were not targeted in other exercises.

I dunno, yesterday after my squats (2x3x175 then 3x3x225) I did overhead presses with a barbell (3x5x95) and (alternating) dumbbells (3x5x35). I skipped my bench press and dips, as a control, and this morning my shoulders feel good--no real soreness.

Remember that guy is a bodybuilder, who thinks in terms of specific muscles. For me the overhead press is a great upper back exercise, and it seems pretty natural to put something above yer head, so I don't know what his beef is. I agree that for working the lateral and anterior deltoids, raises and swings are more effective. Or just do bench presses and dips.

But my self-diagnosis is that my anterior deltoid is either overdeveloped in relation to my posterior deltoid, and/or for some reason has become overtrained and inflamed. So the prescriptive therapy is to focus on developing my upper back for a while. I haven't been able to locate a good deal on used 10-pound weights, in order to do dumbbell bench presses, so this week I'm laying off the chest stuff completely, to give the anterior delt and pecs a rest. A massage therapist friend who also uses East Asian techniques like shiatsu, felt my pecs and shoulders and detected tightness and inflammation, so I'm going to continue with the stretching and electric massage too. I think I may have figured this thing out.

Also, I'm starting to conclude that doing more than two main lifts in a workout is mentally too much for me, so perhaps go back to a five-day plan:

M: Deadlifts and assistance
Tu: Upper body Pull
W: Squats and assistance
Th: Upperbody Push
F: Power Cleans & Arms

We'll see. I'm halfway tempted to try some bench presses today with narrow grip and 3x5x195 and see what the effect of that is the next day. Basically avoid my 1-2RM for a while, while giving the narrower grip a chance to work its magic.

I really got into the squats though, I have to admit. I particularly like it about 2/3 of the way up when you can really feel the hammies and butt working together to support the quads.

Ran two miles yesterday. Stubbed left toe feels fine, but my outer arch is surprisingly sore. Time to massage and stretch.

Reactions: Sid
I dunno, yesterday after my squats 2x3x175 then 3x3x225) I did overhead presses with a barbell (3x5x95) and (alternating) dumbbells (3x5x35). I skipped my bench press and dips, as a control, and this morning my shoulders feel good--no real soreness.

Remember that guy is a bodybuilder, who thinks in terms of specific muscles. For me the overhead press is a great upper back exercise, and it seems pretty natural to put something above yer head, so I don't know what his beef is. I agree that for working the lateral and anterior deltoids, raises and swings are more effective. Or just do bench presses and dips.

But my self-diagnosis is that my anterior deltoid is either overdeveloped in relation to my posterior deltoid, and/or for some reason has become overtrained and inflamed. So the prescriptive therapy is to focus on developing my upper back for a while. I haven't been able to locate a good deal on used 10-pound weights, in order to do dumbbell bench presses, so this week I'm laying off the chest stuff completely, to give the anterior delt and pecs a rest. A message therapist friend who also uses East Asian techniques like shiatsu, felt my pecs and shoulders and detected tightness and inflammation, so I'm going to continue with the stretching and electric massage too. I think I may have figured this thing out.

Here is a response he made in the comments, read what he says about the semi incline press, kind of re-confirms using a closer grip in the bench and press.

First, allow me to say that I have consistently stated that my recommendations are for those whose primary goal is bodybuilding. I am not focused on resistance exercise for the purpose of sports conditioning, and for the goal of gaining maximum power. My goal, and the goal of most bodybuilders I know, is to build the best quality physique, while minimizing the likelihood of injury.

I agree with you, that OHP works the anterior deltoid as much - if not more than - the lateral deltoids. I state that unequivocally in the article. I also agree with you, although I don't state it in the article, that OHP works the clavicular head of the pectoralis. However, there is a much better way to work... the anterior deltoid, as well as the clavicular head of the pectoralis. The Semi-Incline Front Press is far more effective, without any of the risks associated with the OHP. It's not commonly seen, so very few people know how to do it, but it basically looks like an Incline Dumbbell Press, on a bench that has about a 20 degree incline. However, instead of having the elbows go outward - laterally - they stay in close to the torso, as they come down (aka "reverse grip"). This brings the dumbbells down to about the base of the ribcage - and then one pushes the dumbbells up and directly over the shoulders. This hits the anterior deltoids and the clavicular head of the pecs much better, without the external rotation of the humerus.

In terms of impingement, given the position of the infraspinatus tendons - which extend out between the acromion process and the humerus - it's impossible to avoid pinching that tendon, any time one moves his humerus higher than his acromion process. Yes - I know that the clavicle moves, and swings upward to a degree, but it doesn't entirely avoid the pinching of the tendon. And doing that type of movement repeatedly, with load, is simply increasing the likelihood of inflammation - or a tear.

Those who are UNABLE to rotate their humerus to a position that is 90 degree (perfectly vertical) are the ones who are most at risk. I do mention at the bottom of the article that "not all people" have the same degree of injury risk, and by that I am referring to those who have "more than enough" flexibility in their shoulder joint - thereby allowing them to achieve 90 degree shoulder rotation. But for those who cannot achieve that, the OHP is risky - without question. I've seen it many times, and I'm sure you have as well - people attempting to do an overhead press, while having their forearm slanting forward. They don't compensate by leaning back, and - as you said - that is not an ideal solution anyway. They simply strain their external rotators, trying to keep the weight from falling forward, as they perform an awkward OHP. Your recommendation that they use stretching to gain enough flexibility to use proper form seems very strange to me. Is there any other exercise that we "should" do, but not until we've gained enough flexibility to do? None come to my mind. Further, many people will never gain sufficient flexibility for that, regardless of how much they stretch. No other exercise requires us to come so close to our strain-limitation, for us to do it correctly.

The strain of external shoulder rotation that I feel when attempting an OHP is very similar to the strain I would feel if I tried to perform a dumbbell curl, behind my back. And there are other similarities to this comparison. I can work my biceps just fine, without that type of strain. Likewise, I can work my deltoids (and clavicular pecs) just fine, without the strain of an OHP. I have not experienced any compromise whatsoever, in working my deltoids (all three heads), plus my clavicular pecs, without the OHP. I'll be competing this coming June, in the World Championship and - you'll see - my deltoids and clavicular pecs will be fully developed - without having done any Overhead Presses at all. My delts, in particular, will be extremely impressive. And that makes a pretty solid statement, don't you think?

Again, my objective is bodybuilding, and - to a lesser degree - general fitness (defined as the improvement of the physique, and improvements in overall health, the decrease of body fat, with the least amount of injury risk). I have found that OHP is not "necessary" to achieve these goals. So if I can achieve these goals, without the potential risks associated with an OHP, why do them? On the other hand, if the OHP were to produce much better deltoid development, and which would be impossible otherwise - I might agree that the risk is worth the benefit. But that has not been in the case in my 38 years in the trenches. That includes my own personal experience, as well as the observation of others, and conversations with orthopedic doctors.

If you enjoy overhead presses, and you do not experience any kind of strain or discomfort, I would not try to discourage you from doing them. However, for those who have experienced discomfort, pain or injury from doing OHP, and for those who simply want to avoid the possibility of injury, I can state without doubt, that there is no compromise to bodybuilding / health / fitness results, in doing other exercises that are more productive and safer. [/quote]

Here is a response he made in the comments, read what he says about the semi incline press, kind of re-confirms using a closer grip in the bench and press.

First, allow me to say that I have consistently stated that my recommendations are for those whose primary goal is bodybuilding. I am not focused on resistance exercise for the purpose of sports conditioning, and for the goal of gaining maximum power. My goal, and the goal of most bodybuilders I know, is to build the best quality physique, while minimizing the likelihood of injury.

I agree with you, that OHP works the anterior deltoid as much - if not more than - the lateral deltoids. I state that unequivocally in the article. I also agree with you, although I don't state it in the article, that OHP works the clavicular head of the pectoralis. However, there is a much better way to work... the anterior deltoid, as well as the clavicular head of the pectoralis. The Semi-Incline Front Press is far more effective, without any of the risks associated with the OHP. It's not commonly seen, so very few people know how to do it, but it basically looks like an Incline Dumbbell Press, on a bench that has about a 20 degree incline. However, instead of having the elbows go outward - laterally - they stay in close to the torso, as they come down (aka "reverse grip"). This brings the dumbbells down to about the base of the ribcage - and then one pushes the dumbbells up and directly over the shoulders. This hits the anterior deltoids and the clavicular head of the pecs much better, without the external rotation of the humerus.

In terms of impingement, given the position of the infraspinatus tendons - which extend out between the acromion process and the humerus - it's impossible to avoid pinching that tendon, any time one moves his humerus higher than his acromion process. Yes - I know that the clavicle moves, and swings upward to a degree, but it doesn't entirely avoid the pinching of the tendon. And doing that type of movement repeatedly, with load, is simply increasing the likelihood of inflammation - or a tear.

Those who are UNABLE to rotate their humerus to a position that is 90 degree (perfectly vertical) are the ones who are most at risk. I do mention at the bottom of the article that "not all people" have the same degree of injury risk, and by that I am referring to those who have "more than enough" flexibility in their shoulder joint - thereby allowing them to achieve 90 degree shoulder rotation. But for those who cannot achieve that, the OHP is risky - without question. I've seen it many times, and I'm sure you have as well - people attempting to do an overhead press, while having their forearm slanting forward. They don't compensate by leaning back, and - as you said - that is not an ideal solution anyway. They simply strain their external rotators, trying to keep the weight from falling forward, as they perform an awkward OHP. Your recommendation that they use stretching to gain enough flexibility to use proper form seems very strange to me. Is there any other exercise that we "should" do, but not until we've gained enough flexibility to do? None come to my mind. Further, many people will never gain sufficient flexibility for that, regardless of how much they stretch. No other exercise requires us to come so close to our strain-limitation, for us to do it correctly.

The strain of external shoulder rotation that I feel when attempting an OHP is very similar to the strain I would feel if I tried to perform a dumbbell curl, behind my back. And there are other similarities to this comparison. I can work my biceps just fine, without that type of strain. Likewise, I can work my deltoids (and clavicular pecs) just fine, without the strain of an OHP. I have not experienced any compromise whatsoever, in working my deltoids (all three heads), plus my clavicular pecs, without the OHP. I'll be competing this coming June, in the World Championship and - you'll see - my deltoids and clavicular pecs will be fully developed - without having done any Overhead Presses at all. My delts, in particular, will be extremely impressive. And that makes a pretty solid statement, don't you think?

Again, my objective is bodybuilding, and - to a lesser degree - general fitness (defined as the improvement of the physique, and improvements in overall health, the decrease of body fat, with the least amount of injury risk). I have found that OHP is not "necessary" to achieve these goals. So if I can achieve these goals, without the potential risks associated with an OHP, why do them? On the other hand, if the OHP were to produce much better deltoid development, and which would be impossible otherwise - I might agree that the risk is worth the benefit. But that has not been in the case in my 38 years in the trenches. That includes my own personal experience, as well as the observation of others, and conversations with orthopedic doctors.

If you enjoy overhead presses, and you do not experience any kind of strain or discomfort, I would not try to discourage you from doing them. However, for those who have experienced discomfort, pain or injury from doing OHP, and for those who simply want to avoid the possibility of injury, I can state without doubt, that there is no compromise to bodybuilding / health / fitness results, in doing other exercises that are more productive and safer.
[/quote]
Yah, I don't know why, but I've always done the bench press with a wide grip. I guess that's how I was taught to do it when I was starting out. I've never had shoulder issues with it before though. So I'll try dumbbell with neutral grip or barbell with narrower grip for a while. I had x-rays taken of my left shoulder two years back and the orthopedist said everything looks fine, so I don't think there's any structural damage. Just been overtraining and/or using improper technique and/or am imbalanced front to back it seems. But I've also been very negligent about stretching and massaging the upper body, especially the shoulder and pecs. I tried to do the squats yesterday with the grip that Rippetoe recommends--he wants the palms closed and on top of the bar--and I couldn't get my elbows back and high enough.

Anyway, like he says in the comments, bodybuilding and strength training have two different goals. I think it's cool to be able to put heavy shit above my head, but I don't care if I have puffy shoulders.

Basically, there's four ways to do weights, right?:

Bodybuilding (which seeks to look strong)

Strength training (which seeks to be generally strong by focusing on a variety of basic, compound movements and/or the use of machines and cables)

Power lifting (which seeks to be strong in a few basic movements, and involves little power, more strength)

Olympic weightlifting (which seeks to accomplish complicated movements involving a lot of technique, speed, and hence power)

I tried the double db overhead squat, and I could feel it working areas similar to those in the squat and the press. However, it felt like a compromise, as it wasn't working either area fully. (I could see someone replacing the squat and press with the overhead squat, if they were short for time.)

I liked the single db overhead squat, as it definitely felt like it was working different areas that were not targeted in other exercises.
Could be a difference between the dumbbell and barbell version, but with barbell overhead squats it's quite difficult to keep the bar balanced on top of one's outstretched arms as one squats up and down. I really feel it in my 'core.' There shouldn't be any pressing after initially getting the bar into place.

Thinking about getting a more compact set-up with something like this: http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/BD-7-Power-Rack-with-Lat-Pull-p-16332.html
Any thoughts?
Dang, measured my garage and it's just a smidgen from fitting.

Shit just deleted my comment. Anyway I've been looking at this plan and if it were me I might switch this up a little bit I'll give my reasoning below.

Your original

How I would probably lay it out
M: Squats and assistance
Th: Power Cleans & Arms
F: Upperbody Push
S: Deadlifts and assistance

Mainly I would do two things, seperate the pulling work from the deadlift work, and then put the deadlift later in the week since the neural impact is much higher and takes longer to recover from. Ideally though I would probably dump the power clean day and just work them in as squat assistance and then add the arm work after the pull and push days.

However I do like the concept of the 3 day week a little better. Here is what I may do down the road using your plan

Monday
Bottom: [1] Deadlift, [2] SLDL, [3] Loaded Carry
Middle: [3] Rollouts [3] Weighted Sit ups
Top: [3] Shrugs/high pulls [3] Face Pull

Wednesday
Bottom: None
Middle: [1] Bench Press (DB/BB), [1] Chest Supported Rows
Top: [2] Overhead Press (DB/BB), [2] Pull Ups
Swap weeks here so Bench would be heavy and rows would be heavy, and the next week Press would be heavy and do weighted pulls or heavy pull downs

Friday
Bottom: [1] Squat [2] Power clean
Middle: [3] Rollouts [3] Leg raises
Top: [3] Curls [3] Close grip bench

So [1] would be <5 heavy
[2] would be >5<10
[3] would be 20-100 reps

I like combining heavy back work with heavy pushing work but on the DL and squat days everything else is just assistance.

Dang, measured my garage and it's just a smidgen from fitting.

That stinks its a nice rack and reasonably priced. Can your standard bar fit it?

Here is the one I have, I could get a lat attachment maybe, weighted pullups work just as well though.
http://www.helisports.com/squat-and-pressracks/PowerMark-475R-Power-Rack.html

I do like that the safety catches flip up so you can change them a little quicker than sliding them all the way out. However the height is the same for me for bench and squats so I don't really move them.

Shit just deleted my comment. Anyway I've been looking at this plan and if it were me I might switch this up a little bit I'll give my reasoning below.

Your original

How I would probably lay it out
M: Squats and assistance
Th: Power Cleans & Arms
F: Upperbody Push
S: Deadlifts and assistance

Mainly I would do two things, seperate the pulling work from the deadlift work, and then put the deadlift later in the week since the neural impact is much higher and takes longer to recover from. Ideally though I would probably dump the power clean day and just work them in as squat assistance and then add the arm work after the pull and push days.

However I do like the concept of the 3 day week a little better. Here is what I may do down the road using your plan

Monday
Bottom: [1] Deadlift, [2] SLDL, [3] Loaded Carry
Middle: [3] Rollouts [3] Weighted Sit ups
Top: [3] Shrugs/high pulls [3] Face Pull

Wednesday
Bottom: None
Middle: [1] Bench Press (DB/BB), [1] Chest Supported Rows
Top: [2] Overhead Press (DB/BB), [2] Pull Ups
Swap weeks here so Bench would be heavy and rows would be heavy, and the next week Press would be heavy and do weighted pulls or heavy pull downs

Friday
Bottom: [1] Squat [2] Power clean
Middle: [3] Rollouts [3] Leg raises
Top: [3] Curls [3] Close grip bench

So [1] would be <5 heavy
[2] would be >5<10
[3] would be 20-100 reps

I like combining heavy back work with heavy pushing work but on the DL and squat days everything else is just assistance.

Yeah, I can see the logics there as well. One constraint for me is that st has to be M-F. On the weekends the kids are around unless I do it early in the morning before they wake up. There's no way my toddling son is going to let me lift weights alone. It's a lot of fun with him around, but it's hard to concentrate and on something like the squat, it's a little dangerous too.

I like Monday to be my toughest day, to set up the rest of the week but also because I'm mentally freshest then after two days off from ST. Before, when the bench press was my most important lift, I started off the week with those, but right now the deadlift takes the most time and mental energy. Once I get those up to 405, maybe I'll switch them around with the squat day in order to get those up too. I read somewhere that a good set of ratios for an intermediate lifter of about 200 BW would be 200 for the press, 300 for the bench, 400 for the squat, and 500 for the deadlift. Using those same ratios, but setting the top end for the deadlift at 400, then the press should be 160, the bench 240, and the squat 320. Except for the bench, which is within reach right now, those other 'benchmarks' are all realistic goals for me within the next year or so, if I can stay consistent. So once I get up to 405 deadlift, I think I'll next make a push to get the squat up to 325. Of course, I'm already working on the squat. Yesterday the intention was just to do 3x5x175, but it was feeling good, so I bumped it up to 3x3x225 after warming up at 2x3x175, which is back to where I was about a month ago. I'm not going to do 1RM maxes again, however, until my form feels really good at 3x5x225. It's still a little shaky at 225 and I can only do three reps comfortably.

Anyway, I like focusing on power lifts on a separate day from squats and deadlifts, because getting the power lift up to a decent weight is a point of emphasis for me too. After getting the deadlift and squat up to 405 and 315/325, respectively, it would be nice to get the power clean up to 225, as we've mentioned. 215 is ExRx's intermediate standard for 220 body weight, 205 for 198 BW. Maybe the power clean will get up there on its own without having to make a push, I don't know, but it's more important to me to get all three "lower body" lifts--deadlift, squat, and power clean--up to intermediate level than any of the upper body stuff. So it seems best, at the moment, to give each of those lifts their own day and base those workouts on them. With the hope of getting back to my weekend long runs in the not-too-distant future, it makes sense to put the power cleans on Friday, since they are the least taxing on my legs and glutes. So, with these logics in mind, I get:

M: Deadlifts
W: Squats
F: Power Cleans

For the upper body stuff then, it's just a question of scheduling around the lower body lifts. There's the upper body pushes--out and up--and the upper body pulls--in and down. In a three-day schedule it doesn't really matter to me which one aligns with the deadlifts and squats. On the power clean day I can either repeat one or more of the upper body force/direction pairings, or leave one of them off in the previous workouts and do them on Friday, in addition to the arm stuff, which takes just 10-15 minutes at the end of the workout.

In a five-day workout, I do the upper body stuff on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, which works well since I will have run in the morning. I can do the middle and top pushes together and the middle and top pulls on the other day, or do the middle push and pulls together and the top push and pulls on the other day. Doesn't really seem to matter, but I like to do middle and top in the same workout because it feels like it works about the same amount of muscle mass in each push or pull workout. Middle push and pull seems heavy in comparison to top push and pull.

Here's what a fairly realistic five-day schedule might be like, keeping the idea of doing some back/pull stuff twice a week until my back strength has caught up with my front strength:

Monday
Bottom: [1] Deadlift, [2] Hip Hinge Swing, [3] Hip Thrust, [4] Loaded Carry/Tipping Bird

Tuesday
Middle: [1] DB Row, [2] Cable Seated Row
Top: [1] Supine Pulldown, [2] Straight Arm Pulldown, [3] Face Pull,

Wednesday
Bottom: [1] Squat, [2] Overhead Squat, [3] Good Morning, [4] Lunge

Thursday
Middle: [1] Bench Press [2] Dips, [3] Ab Fallout (strap)
Top: [1] Overhead Press [2] Shoulder Swing, [3] Front/Side Raises

Friday
Bottom: [1] Power Clean, [2] Front Squat,
Middle: [1] T-Bar Row, [2] Russian Twist, [3] Reverse Fly (strap),
Top: [1] Neutral Grip Pulldown, [2] Rope Pushdown, [3] Biceps Curls

The schedule I have set up right now is flexible enough that I can just take it week by week, or even day by day. For example, today I'm thinking about doing some light benching and then hard on the dips since I passed over those exercises yesterday yet my left shoulder is feeling reasonable today. In general, it's a little bit hard to do a bottom, middle, and top exercise well all on the same day, but I think it's doable. It just means most of the tertiary and quadrary exercises get neglected.

For the rack, yeah, without the lat cables it's a lot easier to find a size that fits. The cable pulleys add an extra few inches on top. I think the Valor is one inch taller than yours. Right now for cables I'm using my brother's old universal machine, but it's a retail-type piece of crap and has about the same footprint as a half rack like that one by Valor. The only reason I'm interested in a lat accessory is because I'm still too weak to do proper pull-ups, and I like some of the accessory cable stuff like push downs, face pulls, and seated cable rows. Anyway, it's a good price and if I sell my bench and that cable machine and a few other things I no longer use much, I should have $200 or so to cut into the cost. I would need to get rid of that stuff anyway, but it would also help me justify the expense to my wife. The only problem is that our garage door would no longer open all the way. People would have to duck a bit. Not a big deal, since I'm the only one who uses the garage, but it is a main entrance for everyone since the actual main door is on the side of the house, and no-one seems to want to use that except solicitors.

Anyway, I've got it on my mind now, so eventually I'll probably get something like that. I like the simplicity of having everything in one work station. I would also get a dip accessory and maybe a few other things. It would be nice to get a decent bench too, without the posts. The one I bought after college is kind of a piece of crap, although it's held up well over the years.

Not sure if my standard bar would fit. You're supposed to have a seven-foot bar, and mine is six I think.

Here is how I am going to work it in.
Wow, that looks like a really nice program. When I get tired of what I'm doing now, I might do something similar. That would be a good rotation in general I think, doing one like I'm doing now for a month or two, then your 40-day/Heavy-Light program for another month or two, then back again, and so on.

I would have trouble keeping things simple though. I'd probably end up with something more like this:

A
Squat: [1] Back Squat,
Hinge: [1] Deadlift, [2] Hip Hinge Swing
Pull: [1] Rows, [2] Russian Twist, [3] Reverse Fly (strap),
Push [1] Bench Press [2] Dips
Arm: [1] Biceps

B
Squat: [1] Front Squat, [2] Overhead Squat
Hinge: [1] Power Clean [2] Loaded Carry
Pull: [1] Pulldowns, [2] Face Pull
Push: [1] Overhead Press [2] Front/Side Raises
Arms: [1] Triceps

Or, forgoing a strict heavy/light alternation, but putting the heavier of the two exercises that work the same area in A or B, and the lighter in C or D, for example Bench before Dips, Back Squat before Front Squat, or Deadlift before Power Clean, I get something like this, with a little more variety:

A
Squat: [1] Squat
Hinge: [1] Hip Hinge Swing
Pull: [1] T-Bar Row, [2] Russian Twist
Push [1] Bench Press
Arm: [1] Pullover
B
Squat: [1] Overhead Squat
Hinge: [1] Deadlift
Pull: [1] Supine Pulldown, [2] Reverse Fly (strap),
Push: [1] Overhead Press (BB), [2] Shoulder Swing
Arms: [1] EZ Bar Curl
C
Squat: [1] Front Squat
Hinge: [1] Power Clean
Pull: [1] DB Row, [2] Seated Cable Row
Push [1] Dips
Arm: [1] Rope Pushdown
D
(Squat): [1] Loaded Carry
Hinge: [1] Hip Thrust, [2] Good Morning
Pull: [1] Neutral Grip Pulldown, [2] Face Pull
Push: [1] Overhead Press (DB) [2] Front/Side Raises
Arms: [1] DB Curls

Or, closer to the true spirit of the 40-Day concept, something like this:

A
Hinge: [1] Hip Hinge Swing
Pull: [1] T-Bar Row, [2] Russian Twist
Push [1] Bench Press
Arm: [1] Pullover, EZ Bar Curl

B
Squat: [1] Overhead Squat
Hinge: [1] Deadlift
Pull: [1] Supine Pulldown, [2] Reverse Fly (strap),
Push: [1] Overhead Press (BB), [2] Shoulder Swing
Arm: [1] DB Loaded Carry, [2] Forearm Curl

C
Hinge: [1] Power Clean
Pull: [1] DB Row, [2] Seated Cable Row
Push [1] Dips
Arm: [1] Rope Pushdown, DB Curl

D
Squat: [1] Front Squat
Hinge: [1] Trap Bar Deadlift/Jump
Pull: [1] Neutral Grip Pulldown, [2] Face Pull
Push: [1] Overhead Press (DB) [2] Front/Side Raises
Arm: [1] DB Loaded Carry, [2] Supinated/Pronated Wrist Twists

Repeating the squats and deadlifts twice would help me stay true to the concept of only doing 1-2 work-sets per exercise per workout. Otherwise, this scheme isn't too too different from what I'm doing now, but it does involve doing presses more frequently, which may not be a good thing given my left shoulder issue. On the other hand, with greater frequency, there will be less temptation to push the presses I guess. The only question for me is how often to do the loaded carries. I could alternate them with biceps and triceps exercises and consider them 'arms' exercises.

The main drawback I see in this scheme is all the messing around with equipment. This is where having a power rack like that one from Valor would really come in handy.

Conceivably, one could even rotate the two styles of workout on a weekly basis. One week favoring duration (higher reps) and maybe a little more intensity, like a 1-2RM, the other frequency and a little less intensity. My sense is that, done right, this kind of varying approach would cause progress to speed up some.

For the more intense, higher rep workout week, you'd either have

M: Squat
T: Pull
W: Deadlift (Hinge)
Th: Push
F: Power Clean, Pull & Arms

or

M: Squat, Pull
T
W: Deadlift (Hinge), Push
Th
F: Power Clean, Pull, & Arms

And for the higher frequency workout week, you'd have the scheme I just drew up above, a close copy of yours (Abide's):

M: Squat, Hinge, Pull, Push, Arms
T: Squat, Hinge, Pull, Push, Arms
W:
Th: Squat, Hinge, Pull, Push, Arms
F: Squat, Hinge, Pull, Push, Arms