Optimal strength training for runners

That's the idea! Yep grip always seems the first to go on Farmer's walks, once I get my hex bar I am considering doing them a little different. The first portion will be till I can't grip it and then to keep going as long as you can with straps. I think repeated sets are good for grip work but I have a fear of causing carpal tunnel or something? And I too usually do them last.

I just bought a 70lb. kettlebell to do them, so I plan to, if I keep the reps to 25 or under I don't feel them in my back. Dan John has a good tutorial on tnation http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_metabolic_swing&cr=

Did you start using a belt? You are doing weights at the point I would never do beltless now. I like my back too much!
Well, I'm kind of ideologically opposed to straps, belts, and gloves, but I know you've given good reasons for using them before. My own take is that if I can't handle a certain weight without orthoses, then it's too much. The fact that I can do 285lb 5-6 reps without feeling it in my lower back at the bottom of the movement, to me means that I'm not yet strong enough to do 305 properly more than one rep. That's OK I think. I know I'll get there, and I also believe that most development occurs in the 3-5 rep range anyway, while pyramiding down. I usually quit at 225, when I'm sufficiently fatigued that even at this reduced weight I feel a bit of a strain at some point, usually during the second or third set, when I try to come up for another rep. Then I know it's time to quit; I'm not going to get any more benefit, and I'd risk injury if I continued. Of course, another solution would be to do deadlifts off a raised platform of some sort, so that I don't have to do that final stretch. But I'm also kind of ideologically committed to full deadlifts, touching the floor or coming close to it at the end of each rep. And I have 25-lb plates, so the bar isn't too far off the ground, maybe 8 inches, at the beginning/end of each rep.

As far as grip goes, I don’t think I’m at risk of carpal tunnel, and would like to increase my grip strength anyway. So far, I haven’t had any grip problems on the deadlifts, but perhaps when I move up into the 350 range I’ll appreciate having developed my grip more with the loaded carries.

Thanks for the link. So what you're suggesting is to maybe try the swings at reduced weight, but higher reps? I got a homemade t-bar, so it’s easy to adjust the weights in 5-to-10-lb increments. I think I had been doing 80-90lbs, so I’ll reduce to 60lbs and see how that feels. Still skeptical though. . . . Have you noticed a difference? My approach is always to eliminate exercises if I don’t feel much benefit after a month or two. I’m trying my best to keep things simple, and focus on the heavy stuff in my st sessions. If the swings get too light, it’s hard to see them being any different from hip thrusts, or maybe burpees, jump squats, or some other plyometric exercise. I got friends (a married couple) that are fitness professionals, so perhaps I can have them critique my form to make sure I'm getting the swing's snap right. I've also been meaning to ask the husband to check out my squat form.

Oh, forgot to mention I also did some power cleans yesterday, but at low weight--just 75 lbs. I'm going to try to develop my shoulders a bit more before I get back to attacking the power cleans for real. It's also one of the exercises I'm targeting for ExRx's intermediate level (215lbs), but I want to make sure my left shoulder is solid before I get much past 125 lb.

Something like
8 sprints = 45 minute easy run = 1 max attempt lifting = 20 minutes plyometrics = 45 minutes of yoga
Thinking more about this and my own developing weekly routine.

Right now it's about:

a.) 4.5-5 hours of running each week, about 25-30 miles per week.

b.) 2.5-3.5 hours of strength-training each week, mostly free weights and some cables.

c.) 1 hour of plyometrics/mobility each week (box jumps, leg raises, sit-ups, hyperextensions, medicine ball, power wheel, etc.).

d.) Maybe an hour of stretching (and hopefully soon yoga)

If the stretching/yoga can be increased to another 30 minutes per week (or just 5 minutes or so more per day), then the ratios, at about 10 hours per week of targeted fitness activity (excluding more mundane tasks like shoveling snow, doing yard work, playing with kids) would be about:

50% running
35% lifting
10% plyometrics
15% stretching/yoga

Does this seem about right? Is there a fitness component that's missing? Comments welcome from everyone.

Thanks for the link. So what you're suggesting is to maybe try the swings at reduced weight, but higher reps? I got a homemade t-bar, so it’s easy to adjust the weights in 5-to-10-lb increments. I think I had been doing 80-90lbs, so I’ll reduce to 60lbs and see how that feels. Still skeptical though. . . . Have you noticed a difference? My approach is always to eliminate exercises if I don’t feel much benefit after a month or two. I’m trying my best to keep things simple, and focus on the heavy stuff in my st sessions. If the swings get too light, it’s hard to see them being any different from hip thrusts, or maybe burpees, jump squats, or some other plyometric exercise. I got friends (a married couple) that are fitness professionals, so perhaps I can have them critique my form to make sure I'm getting the swing's snap right. I've also been meaning to ask the husband to check out my squat form.

Oh, forgot to mention I also did some power cleans yesterday, but at low weight--just 75 lbs. I'm going to try to develop my shoulders a bit more before I get back to attacking the power cleans for real. It's also one of the exercises I'm targeting for ExRx's intermediate level (215lbs), but I want to make sure my left shoulder is solid before I get much past 125 lb.

I don't know about the swings I have only had a 55lb. kettlebell to work with. I bought the 70lb. one to have a heavier option for conditioning since I don't have a sled anymore. From what I have read heavy swings are a relatively safe way to do heavy conditioning work, like pushing a sled or farmer's walks. I will likely keep them in the 10-15 range though and mix them in with some core work as a finisher like you.

I'm not a big fan of bodyweight stuff because I feel like running and bike riding hit the same thing. They seem redundant and not very effective, just my opinion though. Its like doing handstand pushups, I don't see the purpose if you have a barbell and can do full a range press. In my experience the stronger I get at the bench press the more pushups I can do, but training pushups doesn't really make me stronger at the bench and only marginally makes my pushup better.

I have been doing more power cleans as well to get the bar up to press. I've been liking them so much I just bought 4 bumper plates so I can do them more. A 215 would be good, I think the most I have ever tried was 205.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Well, I'm kind of ideologically opposed to straps, belts, and gloves, but I know you've given good reasons for using them before. My own take is that if I can't handle a certain weight without orthoses, then it's too much.

It's definitely a good topic for discussion and is quite similar to the barefoot-shod argument. It's also interesting because in both cases my opinion has evolved over the years and has even gone back and forth.

Right now, and specifically talking about farmer's walks, my thoughts are its an excercise that trains two different components. Its a very strong grip training excercise which typically fails first, and it is also good for posture/core work which has a higher failure tolerance. So by limiting the set to the point where grip fails you may be preventing the other benefits. On the other hand as you have alluded to, maybe that is a good thing and you aren't overdoing the excercise and the slower build up of grip work overall better for you?

I don't know the answer as I have never actually trained them with straps but I am going to give it a try for a while. I suspect what will happen is they will become much more fatiguing like the deadlift and it will probably go from an assitance lift to a main lift. It will be interesting to see what fails second. I will probably only use straps when carrying 225+ lbs too. And hopefully I get some huge traps out of it.

I don't know about the swings I have only had a 55lb. kettlebell to work with. I bought the 70lb. one to have a heavier option for conditioning since I don't have a sled anymore. From what I have read heavy swings are a relatively safe way to do heavy conditioning work, like pushing a sled or farmer's walks. I will likely keep them in the 10-15 range though and mix them in with some core work as a finisher like you.

I'm not a big fan of bodyweight stuff because I feel like running and bike riding hit the same thing. They seem redundant and not very effective, just my opinion though. Its like doing handstand pushups, I don't see the purpose if you have a barbell and can do full a range press. In my experience the stronger I get at the bench press the more pushups I can do, but training pushups doesn't really make me stronger at the bench and only marginally makes my pushup better.

I have been doing more power cleans as well to get the bar up to press. I've been liking them so much I just bought 4 bumper plates so I can do them more. A 215 would be good, I think the most I have ever tried was 205.
OK, next time I do my Bottom-Pull workout (deadlifts & friends), I'll try the swings in the 10-to-15-rep range.

I disagree with you about bodyweight stuff though. Squat jumps, for example, don't train strength like barbell squats, but they do attack explosiveness, as well as range of motion, better. I've become convinced that plyometrics/mobility exercises are an important bridge between intense anaerobic exercise like free weights, and repetitive aerobic exercise like running. That's what I was trying to say in my last comment, that there's really four basic fitness components I want to work on: st, cardio, plyo, flexibility. It's just a question of proportions at this point, and scheduling. I like the am running, pm lifting schedule, but I'm still trying to figure out where to fit in the other two.

Another benefit from some body weight exercises, like handstand pushups, is that they attack your stabilizers more, which can improve balance and coordination. I agree though, that for pure strength purposes, body weight exercise will always impose a limit on how far you can go, as is the case with pushups. However, dive-bomber pushups do hit a range of motion that bench presses don't. Likewise, dips work the pecs, tri's and upper back in a manner quite unlike the bench press. So if bodyweight exercises can produce benefits that aren't possible with free weights, they're worth keeping in one's repertoire I think, unless time is limited or you're making a push for increased strength.

My power cleans are limited now by this gimpy left shoulder I have. I'm going to have to work up the weight increments very gradually. It's a little frustrating, because I can tell the rest of my body could do more, but I'm still hopeful that with the right approach and mix of exercises, I can get back on top of this shoulder issue and make it disappear for the most part. So I'm not going to let any one exercise interfere with that goal. If power cleans aggravate it, I'm throwing them out, but it sure would be nice to be able to do them with decent weight again. I love that explosive feeling. 20 years ago in karate I had a routine where I would do deadlifts, then power cleans, then clean to press, reducing weight along the way. It really helped make my kicks more explosive and powerful.

For ExRx's intermediate level calculations, I'm using 220lbs as my bodyweight, even though I weigh 240 right now, because at least 20 pounds is useless fat. If I could get down to 200--a distant possibility--my intermediate level standard would lower further. I'd only need to do 335 lbs instead of 350 lbs, for example, on the deadlifts.
It's definitely a good topic for discussion and is quite similar to the barefoot-shod argument. It's also interesting because in both cases my opinion has evolved over the years and has even gone back and forth.

Right now, and specifically talking about farmer's walks, my thoughts are its an excercise that trains two different components. Its a very strong grip training excercise which typically fails first, and it is also good for posture/core work which has a higher failure tolerance. So by limiting the set to the point where grip fails you may be preventing the other benefits. On the other hand as you have alluded to, maybe that is a good thing and you aren't overdoing the excercise and the slower build up of grip work overall better for you?

I don't know the answer as I have never actually trained them with straps but I am going to give it a try for a while. I suspect what will happen is they will become much more fatiguing like the deadlift and it will probably go from an assitance lift to a main lift. It will be interesting to see what fails second. I will probably only use straps when carrying 225+ lbs too. And hopefully I get some huge traps out of it.
Yah, on a practical level, I can see using straps, gloves, or belts. Just like some people may opt for shoes on challenging terrain so that they can run faster or farther. For me, for no practical reason, I like to keep things as bare as much as possible. I like the purity of it. But I would never tell anyone else which way is the right way for them. Just depends on preferences and goals. I really like having callused hands, for example, so I'm not going to put on gloves, even though gloves would make deadlifts a little easier. And if I lived by a gravel road, I think my tendency would be to master running on it bare, rather than donning minimalist shoes. The whole race/pace/max numbers approach can undermine a more zen focus on experiencing each form of exercise for what it is. This winter I tried to run on compacted snow bare as well, but I just don't have the tolerance for doing that for more than a mile or two at best, usually a lot less. Matter over mind I guess.

Reactions: dutchie53
Abide, I slightly disagree about the pushups thing. Having been in the Army I have done more than my fair share of pushups. The trick to getting better with pushups, don't do a ton at one time, but do 25 or so at a time periodically throughout the day, maybe up to 10 times a day. I've seen lot's of soldiers improve more at amount of pushups they can do in a timed 2 minute test than when strength training was added. Now strength training can add to the amount of pushups you can do, but it's pretty insignificant. Now I do agree that just because you are good at pushups does not make you better at bench press. I can say with confidence for myself also that right now I can bench press just as much as when I went into the Army, yet I can't do anywhere near the amount of pushups I could back then. There really is very little in common with pushups and bench press. They don't really translate well from one to the other.

Abide, I slightly disagree about the pushups thing. Having been in the Army I have done more than my fair share of pushups. The trick to getting better with pushups, don't do a ton at one time, but do 25 or so at a time periodically throughout the day, maybe up to 10 times a day. I've seen lot's of soldiers improve more at amount of pushups they can do in a timed 2 minute test than when strength training was added. Now strength training can add to the amount of pushups you can do, but it's pretty insignificant. Now I do agree that just because you are good at pushups does not make you better at bench press. I can say with confidence for myself also that right now I can bench press just as much as when I went into the Army, yet I can't do anywhere near the amount of pushups I could back then. There really is very little in common with pushups and bench press. They don't really translate well from one to the other.
Are we maybe comparing stamina versus strength here? Couldn't you get the same stamina by doing higher rep bench presses at lower weight as doing a bunch of pushups, all else being equal (frequency, time of day, etc.)? But the converse isn't true, because one's absolute strength, one's one-rep max, will always be limited to about half your body weight (just guessing) in pushups.

P.S., I haven’t read a fitness article in a few weeks. And it feels good. Nonetheless, this is a pretty good summary.
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitnes...ter&utm_content=MRlink1&utm_campaign=04082014

I’ve especially been enjoying running first thing in the morning, before I eat anything (#11). It really sets up the day nicely. I got off my schedule during the winter when I would wait till afternoon so I could run barefoot when it was warm enough out. But I think next winter I’ll run shod more so I can keep to the morning schedule.

Lee, to sum myself up more succinctly, I'm just saying that the two exercises don't translate well to each other. Being good (strength or stamina) at one does not mean you will get better (strength or stamina) at the other. At best they may be slightly supportive of the other. I think that's clearer and less long winded.

Lee, to sum myself up more succinctly, I'm just saying that the two exercises don't translate well to each other. Being good (strength or stamina) at one does not mean you will get better (strength or stamina) at the other. At best they may be slightly supportive of the other. I think that's clearer and less long winded.
That's very strange. Not at all my experience. Viva la différence!

Ok, we can disagree, I'm ok with that. When I was in the Army everyone had to take PT tests. Often, the guys who could bench a lot of weight could not do as many pushups as some of those that couldn't bench much. I think the strength training part may get you more explosive, but most people only do a small amount of up to 10-12 usually. When taking a PT test in the Army you had to do as many pushups as you can in 2 minutes. When I first went in I could do like 55 or so. A couple years later with zero benches I was hitting in the low 80's. That year I added in ST and bench press and while my strength went up greatly in that year and I got to where I could bench 280, my pushups actually suffered and I dropped down into the mid to high 60's. The next 6 months (my first 6 months in Afghanistan) we did not have weights and had to do only pushups, my pushups went back up to almost 80. We got weights after that first 6 months and what do you think happened? My pushups suffered despite still doing the pushups. I witnessed that with a lot of soldiers. Maybe what you attribute to getting better at them is only because you were not all that good in the first place? (not accusing at all, just musing because I don't know your history) It's weird but I came to acknowledge that they don't translate well with each other. What I learned (my experience only) is if you want to get better at pushups, lose some of the bench press and do the pushups, like I suggested earlier. There are several different types of pushups too and one would be wise to do a little of them all (wide arm, normal, close, diamonds, inverted with feet on a fence or railing, and the ones I saw someone mention on here earlier of the headstand pushups). If you want to get better at bench press, do more bench press and maybe even more pushups, do pyramids, etc...

Ok, we can disagree, I'm ok with that. When I was in the Army everyone had to take PT tests. Often, the guys who could bench a lot of weight could not do as many pushups as some of those that couldn't bench much. I think the strength training part may get you more explosive, but most people only do a small amount of up to 10-12 usually. When taking a PT test in the Army you had to do as many pushups as you can in 2 minutes. When I first went in I could do like 55 or so. A couple years later with zero benches I was hitting in the low 80's. That year I added in ST and bench press and while my strength went up greatly in that year and I got to where I could bench 280, my pushups actually suffered and I dropped down into the mid to high 60's. The next 6 months (my first 6 months in Afghanistan) we did not have weights and had to do only pushups, my pushups went back up to almost 80. We got weights after that first 6 months and what do you think happened? My pushups suffered despite still doing the pushups. I witnessed that with a lot of soldiers. Maybe what you attribute to getting better at them is only because you were not all that good in the first place? (not accusing at all, just musing because I don't know your history) It's weird but I came to acknowledge that they don't translate well with each other. What I learned (my experience only) is if you want to get better at pushups, lose some of the bench press and do the pushups, like I suggested earlier. There are several different types of pushups too and one would be wise to do a little of them all (wide arm, normal, close, diamonds, inverted with feet on a fence or railing, and the ones I saw someone mention on here earlier of the headstand pushups). If you want to get better at bench press, do more bench press and maybe even more pushups, do pyramids, etc...
Yah, I'm OK with disagreeing too, and don't want to get involved in any lasting debate. But reading your description here, it seems to me you're comparing apples and oranges:

80 reps (maybe half BW?) = stamina
280 lbs x 1rep = strength

The Westside people try to do something similar by dividing up their strength training into max effort versus dynamic effort components.

I think the experience you're describing shows that it's hard to be good at both strength and stamina, kind of a zero sum game. If you focus on strength (high weight/low rep), your stamina may suffer. If you focus on stamina (low weight/high rep), your strength may suffer.

In your examples, you've got two variables at play: type of exercise, and weight-to-rep ratio.

To make a fair comparison, you have to eliminate one of the variables. The easiest way would be to just do the bench press, because pushups will always be limited by bodyweight, so you can't compare 1rep maxes between pushups and bench presses unless you have someone sitting on your shoulders or something while doing pushups.

OK, so now we have a control--the bench press. Try benching 75-100 lbs (your approximate body weight load when doing pushups) x 80 reps over a period of time. I would bet it would interfere with your max bench just as pushups do, unless they were integrated somehow on a periodic basis.

Or try doing pushups with a guy who weighs 200 pounds on your back. Do that for a while. I would bet your 1rep max bench press would be pretty good too if you were to try it.

For overall fitness, some sort of compromise must be struck. That's kind of what I'm working on, what is the best ratio between endurance, strength, stamina or plyometrics, and flexibility training. There's no right answer, just depends on what sort of fitness you value most. Right now, I'm moving away from endurance. I'm not an endurance runner per se, but neither am I a sprinter, or a body builder, or a power lifter, or a cross-fitter, or yogi, or any other kind of fitness specialist. I just want good overall fitness. So long runs should really be at most once per week, maybe more like every two weeks. I'm trying to get in more tempo runs, and then build up distance again, an approach we discussed a year or two ago.

In general, I've found Zapmamak's Ranch Athletics training pretty intriguing, and will be kind of testing out my own version of it this year.

I like your point about how the pushup variations can work you in ways bench presses can't. I'm particularly interesting in clapping pushups, as a sort of plyo exercise, but I'm not going to try them until my left shoulder is better.

Reactions: DNEchris
I think we are agreeing a lot more than we think. You summed up exactly what I was saying with this "I think the experience you're describing shows that it's hard to be good at both strength and stamina, kind of a zero sum game. If you focus on strength (high weight/low rep), your stamina may suffer. If you focus on stamina (low weight/high rep), your strength may suffer." Saying the same thing two different ways I think. I agree wholeheartedly that a balance should be struck for overall fitness. Guess it also depends what your goals are.

I think we are agreeing a lot more than we think. You summed up exactly what I was saying with this "I think the experience you're describing shows that it's hard to be good at both strength and stamina, kind of a zero sum game. If you focus on strength (high weight/low rep), your stamina may suffer. If you focus on stamina (low weight/high rep), your strength may suffer." Saying the same thing two different ways I think. I agree wholeheartedly that a balance should be struck for overall fitness. Guess it also depends what your goals are.
Right, a power lifter wouldn't care about stamina. He wants power (strength over time). An endurance runner doesn't want a whole lot of strength--the extra muscle mass would slow him down.

Last year was all about seeing how far I could go. I still love long runs, but it would also be fun to do 3-5 miles at a pretty good clip--I just love the feeling of opening it up a bit--or to get a little stronger and more nimble. So trying to find the right mix. Running is still the center-piece for me, because it's the most enjoyable, but I also enjoy feeling somewhat strong, flexible, and 'explosive' (or at least somewhat athletic).

Man, I think I'm going to have to give into the caffeine demon. I've been spending way too much time feeling sleepy. Writing here helps me fight it off, but I'm getting way behind.

Reactions: NickW
I'm still trying to find the right mix too, that's why I am cutting down my ST days to only a day or two a week and adding in plyo. Gonna be cutting down my coffee to just 1 cup a day next week. I've noticed that's pretty much all that's needed to get me perked up (except on low sleep mornings).

I'm still trying to find the right mix too, that's why I am cutting down my ST days to only a day or two a week and adding in plyo. Gonna be cutting down my coffee to just 1 cup a day next week. I've noticed that's pretty much all that's needed to get me perked up (except on low sleep mornings).
Yah, even if I do go back on caffeine, this period without it has shown me I need to get back to the two-cup per day maximum. I think not running consistently this last winter screwed up my sleep cycle, which led to over-caffeination. But I'm running pretty well for a month or so now, and sleeping better. With a regular morning run, perhaps I just need a little shot mid-morning and after lunch? My older brother, who doesn't drink coffee, sent me a link reporting that you really shouldn't drink caffeine first thing in the morning (http://www.fastcompany.com/3026642/work-smart/your-bodys-natural-caffeination-why-coffee-can-wait). In any case, I definitely feel better physically when I'm not caffeinated, it's just hard to sit at a desk without it.

Reactions: NickW
I think some call that strength endurance and it's definitely different. I consider myself more of a minimalist and the less the better for my situation. Thats what I meant about push ups, if you did want to train your skill at push ups then the frequency method like you described Nick is the way to go. I'm always looking for the 10 or so excercises that give me the most bang for my buck. Alos maximal lifting suits me better than HIT and other methods. Well it coincides better with endurance training at least. I also think the stronger you are the easier other things become so it should hold greater importance however. The same way as I am believing the building an endurance base is more important than intervals, sprints etc...

http://canute1.wordpress.com/2014/0...cade-3-high-intensity-v-high-volume-training/

http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm

I think some call that strength endurance and it's definitely different. I consider myself more of a minimalist and the less the better for my situation. Thats what I meant about push ups, if you did want to train your skill at push ups then the frequency method like you described Nick is the way to go. I'm always looking for the 10 or so excercises that give me the most bang for my buck. Alos maximal lifting suits me better than HIT and other methods. Well it coincides better with endurance training at least. I also think the stronger you are the easier other things become so it should hold greater importance however. The same way as I am believing the building an endurance base is more important than intervals, sprints etc...

http://canute1.wordpress.com/2014/0...cade-3-high-intensity-v-high-volume-training/

http://www.sportsci.org/2009/ss.htm
A few thoughts:

1.) You've convinced me to focus on the fundamental lifts. Simplicity is key for me too. Looking at a long list of exercises at the top of a workout can be demotivating. I always start with the heaviest lift, and then if I still have time and energy, I do the others.

2.) I don't do HIIT (too lazy for the most part), but I think plyometrics or some form of conditioning somewhere in between aerobic and anaerobic intensities serves as a necessary complement to running and lifting.

3.) I read somewhere that at least some Kenyans train 35% of the time at tempo. I also read that Ryan Hall has decreased his weekly mileage is doing more 'quality' running. While people debate the exact ratios, none of the pro-style running sites I've come across have endorsed a purely MAF-style program, nor a pure Tabata-style program.

4.) Canute's conclusion that an 80-10-10 ratio of aerobic-threshold-interval work is based on elites who run 100-120 miles per week. For someone running 30 miles per week, I would think the ratio of aerobic running to the other two kinds of running would decrease. Maybe something more like a 60-30-10 ratio? Or perhaps 60-20-20 ratio if we include hill work in with intervals? And then for someone running 10 miles per week, say 2-4 miles 3-4 times per week, perhaps most of the running should be tempo running.

5.) Yah, stamina = strength endurance, as far as I can tell.

Lee I'm genuinely curious why you think ratios would be different based on total volumes?

I'm also confused about the 80-10-10 or 80/20 as other articles have summarized if your total mileage was 50 then 40 miles would be done at a slow pace and 10 miles would be done anaerobically? On a workout level that could mean you could be doing speedwork 2-3 days out of 5 potentially. not many speed days would last 5 miles, maybe a tempo run? If you are talking 30 miles a week then 6 miles would be speed work. I was looking at it more from if you run 10 times in two weeks 2 workouts would be speedwork.

I agree I just consider my sprints/hill sprints and mountain bike riding plyo's, and farmers walks conditioning.

On a serious note I think the workout mix is important and somehow easily desiging and documenting will be beneficial. Especially something that can be a little more flexible with life. I was thinking about breaking up a plan into pieces but instead of using points use blocks and to say you have a capacity for 100 blocks a month. Each block would obviously vary by person it could be a max lift 6 sprints etc... but the max monthly blocks would be 100. Then visually you could plot 3 measurable goals on the various axis and try to balance these out by workout choices. The interesting thing is you have 4 weeks so you would see results but could make minor tweaks each cycle to get closer to the goal. Eventually with enough cycles you would have a pretty good idea of what things work and which don't.

I might try something out. I think one of the problems I have is there is so much extra curricular stuff I do in addition to the workouts. Maybe tracking it all and compensating for it would give me a better idea of the good and bad.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS