Nothing is carved stone.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Well, at least for me! My garmin has made it back to my wrist, again. Here is why, I was getting slow. I ran my annual turkey trot this year, it was 5 miles and my time was 39:18 with a pace of 7:52. I have not ran that fast (fast for me) in over a year. It felt pretty awesome. I ran it barefoot and my feet and calf's definitely felt the effects of pushing my body out of my comfort zone

While I was totally enjoying my garmin free running, my pace was becoming slower. I was averaging around a 9:00 pace, which is fine but I know I am capable of running faster. I feel into a comfort zone, and again here comes my competitive side lurking to the top. The great thing about running the competitiveness is just my personal goals. I have ran twice after the turkey trot, and having the garmin on I do enjoy pushing the pace again.

So I came clean, let the lashings begin!

I love the Garmin I got in June exactly for the reason you gave; it makes me more conscious of pace, which provokes me to run faster. Still, I do enjoy my gadget-free runs as well. Just as I enjoy the variety of running different kinds of paces/distances/terrains, I enjoy switching between gadgetful and gadgetless running . . . for the moment. Maybe in the future I'll need a complete break, as you did. Just say no to ideological purity and follow your mood!

Reactions: Robin and Sid
Nah - no lashings. I'm an on-again/off-again data junkie, so I can see the thing with using the Garmin. The only reason I don't have one is because by the time I get worked up enough to get one, I go into "off-again" mode. I think part of this is also due to the fact that I have a GPS (albeit clunky one) on my phone that I can use. Remember, personal goals matter - it keeps us running (figuratively and literally) - and real-time feedback (like what the Garmin is providing) is important. I think the key is to remember that you are the Master of Your Domain, not the Garmin, then you'll be fine...

I agree nothing is carved in stone and even if it was you could always break it.
However there could be many reasons why your pace has slowed, I personally slow down a little in the winter and pick up again with the advent of spring.
You may just be tired, or trying too hard and need a bit of a rest.
Using the Garmin again could be a good idea as it will change your routine and keep things fresh for a while, but don't fall into the trap into thinking that it will make you faster, because that idea also isn't carved in stone :)

I agree nothing is carved in stone and even if it was you could always break it.
However there could be many reasons why your pace has slowed, I personally slow down a little in the winter and pick up again with the advent of spring.
You may just be tired, or trying too hard and need a bit of a rest.
Using the Garmin again could be a good idea as it will change your routine and keep things fresh for a while, but don't fall into the trap into thinking that it will make you faster, because that idea also isn't carved in stone :)

I agree. In my case I just wasn't trying hard enough. it was a very low mileage, minimal training for my spring/summer races. Time to step it up a notch!

numbers can be cool. just don't fall into maf or you'll really hate yourself for about a year or so.

Reactions: Sid
Don't beat yourself up too badly, BG.

Back in the mid-90s, when training for my first (and thus far, only) marathon, I bought a Polar heart rate monitor about 3/4 of the way through my training program. It altered things dramatically, though, in retrospect, I should have waited until AFTER the race to adopt its use. The point is that I've been something of a data junkie ever since.

Devices have gotten so much more sophisticated now. The Garmin that I use to replace that old Polar monitor tells me way more than I ever need to know, but I have to say that it has honestly been a huge help in learning the barefoot technique. Coupled with a metronome app, I've really been able to learn proper cadence, which in turn makes my run much more fluid and comfortable. And since I tend to run faster than I should after a decent warm up, the feedback keeps me from overdoing it on the first half of a run and then paying the heavy price during the second. It keeps me from being lazy when I shouldn't be, and keeps me from pushing too much if I haven't fully recovered. In short, used as a tool, it's useful. Used as a crutch, it can be debilitating.

So, if it helps you improve and enjoy your running, I say use it unapologetically. I'll defend to the death your right to strap on a device if you choose to do so. :)

Reactions: happysongbird
I started using RunKeeper on my phone which was great until I realized that I was rarely running any slower than 8mi pace....which was brought to attention by my IT band....lol
I got so focused on my sweet splits and pace, etc that I forgot about the rest.....of course I'm sure you have much more experience to wield than I do....they are great tools when used in some sense of moderation I think

I started using RunKeeper on my phone which was great until I realized that I was rarely running any slower than 8mi pace....which was brought to attention by my IT band....lol
I got so focused on my sweet splits and pace, etc that I forgot about the rest.....of course I'm sure you have much more experience to wield than I do....they are great tools when used in some sense of moderation I think
That's funny. I just read that slower paces irritate the IT band more than faster paces.

http://www.anaerobic.net/runnersguide.aspx

Under the heading Return to Running Phase:

"Start with easy sprints on level ground, as studies show that running at a faster pace is less likely to aggravate the ITB than slow paced running. Recover between intervals by walking rather than jogging."

Is there ever going to be a straight answer when it comes to running?

Reactions: Zetti
That's funny. I just read that slower paces irritate the IT band more than faster paces.

Is there ever going to be a straight answer when it comes to running?

Then we wouldn't need this forum ;)
...besides I like contradictions and ambiguity...they make me question my questions...

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test