Non-Achilles ankle issue

Scratch that last question!

Scratch that last question! Yeah, bending my knees a lot may not feel natural, but I just tried it around my house, and suddenly lifting my feet without pushing off was easier. I know KB says bending the knees & lifting the feet are the same, and I don't know how that works, but I think I just experienced that connection.

Since I'm having a hard time "getting" the whole lifting the foot thing, I'm going to try keeping my knees really bent for my run tomorrow; hopefully that will be the key!

And of course all that without thinking too much...ideally. ;0)

I can't run like BKB.  I wish

I can't run like BKB. I wish I could, but he really, really bends his knees when he runs. I have tried that, and it seems difficult for me, probably due to the MN. If I ever get my problem resolved with the neuromas, I hope a better running form will come to me. Right now, I run the way my feet will LET me run...and it's not pretty.

I always say, if you can find a form that keeps you injury-free and puts a smile on your face, then you're good to go. Sometimes that form is not the same as the next guy's.

As long as I have been running barefoot, I have never experienced a barefoot running-related injury. I did pull my hamstring and Achilles last week while running in VFFs though. I'm one of those BFRs that have never been able to transfer my "good" running form from barefoot to minimalist and back again. I'm not a gifted runner. I'm probably not even a good runner. In order to run at my best, I have to run barefoot.

Barefoot TJ wrote:I'm not a

Barefoot TJ said:
I'm not a gifted runner. I'm probably not even a good runner. In order to run at my best, I have to run barefoot.

Love that statement, TJ. One of the joys of running for me is that I've never been athletic. Realizing I can do something athletic is so exciting. But I'll NEVER win any races. That would be fun; I'm just not fast and don't think I ever will be! But running gives me joy, a sense of accomplishment, energy...I could go on and on. I think if you run without being injured as you do, you ARE a good runner...even if you are at the back of the pack.

The tiny bit that I've tried the "knees very bent" thing today, it's felt really good. Different...and I think I'll get sore getting used to it...but my feet really felt lighter. It's hard to say how that will translate with a real run though. I was running around my house on carpet, and my house certainly isn't big enough for me to go any real distances! So I'll try it in the morning and see.

If it ends up working for me...awesome. If not...I know that you guys will be here to give me input on other forms that work!

Thanks, Jimmy & TJ! :)

Back of the pack?!  I'm not

Back of the pack?! I'm not that damn bad! Ha! Just teasing all my slow turtle brethren and sisters. I do run in the middle of the pack, but I will never be at the front of the pack; although I did take second in my age group at a 10K (of which I ran the last half barefoot) nearly a couple of years ago...well, there were only three of us in my age group. Hee.

Ha ha...now I might be able

Ha ha...now I might be able to take 2nd in a race like that!! :)

Okay, I did my run with

Okay, I did my run with extra-bent knees today, and I think that's going to work for me! It's definitely going to take some getting used to since my muscles aren't used to that position. But I think it does help me lift my whole feet while still keeping my feet and ankles pretty relaxed. I did get just a little sore in one Achilles; I think that was still a relaxation issue. I'll do plenty of stretching and some icing to try to make sure that doesn't get really sore, and keep focusing on staying loose and relaxed.

Thanks, guys!!!

Hello Beth,My advice for

Hello Beth,

My advice for aches and pains from adapting to barefoot running is - cold water. After you have been for a run, get a bucket of cold water or run cold water in a bath.

Make it deep enough to cover your calves. Stay in the water for 5+ minutes then get into some warm water.

It flushes out all the lactic from the muscles around the are. It is what the footy players (Aussie rules) over here do after a tough game. They get in the sea which is pretty chilly this time of year.

Doing this sorted out all my problems. Do this after each run.

Good luck

Neil

Thanks for the tip, Neil!

Thanks for the tip, Neil! I'll have to try that.