No eating before or during running?

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
I saw a post by one of our members about a 26 mile long run he did where he didn't consume any calories during the run. From what I remember, it was one of the best long runs he had ever experienced.

Well I've been an on-again off-again fan of the Warrior Diet, which involves fasting for 20 hours, followed by eating as much as you want for up to 4 hours. I've also had troubles with fuel during a long run, generally feeling pretty good until I consume any kind of calories.

So I decided to try to do a 20 mile long run Warrior Diet style. The only thing I consumed that day prior to the run was a few cups of coffee and some water to hydrate.

The first few miles I felt pretty sluggish, but at around mile 4 or 5 I started to perk up and feel like I usually do during a run. That feeling lasted the entire run, and my energy level was pretty consistent throughout. I suppose this had something to do with my body switching to fat for fuel, but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any similar experiences or insight?

That's interesting saypay, I

That's interesting saypay, I have never heard of such a thing. I was always taught to eat every 3-4 hrs... I'm interested to see people's responses.

I don't follow the warrior

I don't follow the warrior diet but I never eat before noon, I run in the morning too. The only time I eat during or right before a run is for fast tempo runs over 12 - 15 range...these are rare for me. Oh and during some races from half mary - marathon distance. My slow runs are slow enough I'm mostly burning fat anyways so no extra carbs needed.

Now when I try my first Ultra thats going to be a feast!

During my ironman marathon I

During my ironman marathon I was taking one gel/hrs or 150 cals/hrs, not much. By the time I got to the marathon my GI system was hypersensitive. I was not have problems but from past experiences I need to go with less. It was more about how much I could take in as apposed to how much my body was using. Bonking is no fun, so if I needed a top up I added something at the aid stations.

I on the same page Saypay- I

I on the same page Saypay- I never eat before or during long runs. Eating just makes me feel sluggish and I hate the feeling of anything sloshing around my guts - plus I get hideous side-aches. Did 12 3/4 miles Saturday after 3 cups of coffee and felt great. The night before I had a roast beef sandwich, french fries and 2 glasses of red wine for dinner. Not sure how it would be if double the distance, but I've always done long runs with no food or water (unless really hot-I'll take water) and think the body can be trained. I'm not a snacker though anyway, preferring to eat meals only when I am really hungry.

I'm wondering how this would

I'm wondering how this would go for me if I went further than 20 miles. 20 is considered "the wall", so it would be interesting to see if I was fine because I hadn't hit the wall yet. Although at mile 20 I was pretty stinkin' chipper. Usually I'm a zombie by then. If that was "the wall", I'll take it!

I try to eat a complex carb

I try to eat a complex carb the night before a long run, then I will eat a Zone bar and banana with a bunch of water before I run. Seems to work for me, although I know if I get to the even higher miles, I will need to find out what different will work for me, since by then my carb energy source will be depleted.

BTW, I thought fat was an inefficient energy source, only used when there is nothing left. I'm glad you guys can run well, fast, and long off of fat. I wish I could. ;-)

I usually don't eat at least

I usually don't eat at least 4 hrs before a run, and a couple hours after a run. If i eat I can't run, I run out of energy?

my best time to run is after

my best time to run is after waking and having a cup of tea. i eat about an hour after running, even after the gym. i try to exercise at least two hours after eating. i raced on sunday and at just over two hours before the race, i got a little side cramp. oh, i drink a protein shake for breakfast always because food makes me tired. as far as running 20 miles, not there yet. i ran 7 miles last week and the legs were a bit sore. 5 miles on sunday's race and they were beat up pretty badly.

Mike

I've found it really depends

I've found it really depends on how much I ran the week before. If my weekly mileage stays under 50 I don't normally like to eat on any run shorter than 16. 16+ I'll eat a hundred calories or so in gatorade, gu, breakfast bars ect... Honestly I think alot of that comes from boredem and feeling as if I "should" though as opposed to really really needing it. My stomach really prefers to be empty while running. However if my weekly mileage is hovering over 65+ especially when I start hitting mid 70s I've found I have to eat alot on pretty much anything over 13. And not just gus or gatorade but things with solid food in it. Nutragrain bars, powerbars ect.... Or I just can't keep up my energy. Then I'm usually forced to eat breakfast before hand too. All of this bothers my stomach a bit but its better than bonking which I've done several times now. I'm really looking forward to being able to go back to not eating much before and during long runs now that I'm going to cut back on the mileage. yay tapering.

My husband is a serious mtn

My husband is a serious mtn biker (he races single speed) and has done a lot of reading on endurance training for MTB. He has recently been doing a thing where he doesn't eat any closer than 3 hours before a long ride or race. He will eat complex sugars during his rides/race, though, on occasion. He says the not eating before makes a big difference.

I don't seem to have much of

I don't seem to have much of a problem eating before a run.

I go on early runs on the weekend and usually have a breakfast of Juice, Weetbix with LSA mix, Chia and Lecithin, then to top it off some toast with honey and a big cup of tea.

40 minutes later I am out running no problems.

I had more problems when I wore shoes and ran incorrectly and I think that was due to all the bouncing up and down and heel striking causing all the food to slosh around.

With my stealth barefoot style it only the legs that are moving with the trunk just moving horizontally so my breakfast seems to stay put.

Neil

SP, In my experience being

SP, In my experience being able to run long on empty has changed with age. I think it also depends on whether you are out for a weekend LSR or you are trying to place at a race in your age group. Past a 25K in training or racing I really need to pay attention to nutrition and hydration at 52 years young. It is not that I cannot do it anymore I just really start to feel like junk somewhere between 15 and 20 if I am running on empty. This was not always the case and in the day I would run marathons only having to worry about hydration. I do not remember if you are one of the Paleo people but I found this article interesting. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19425SP Have fun with your training! http://www.runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=19425 http://www.runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=19425 HHH Have fun tri Have fun training ?

SoleFoot - that was an

SoleFoot - that was an interesting article. I started Paleo a couple months ago and was doing some intense training workouts at the same time. I rarely get sick, but I had one of the worst colds of my life within 2 weeks of starting the diet. According to the article, apparently the no carb thing can suppress your immune system. I totally saw that happen to me and was wondering what was going on.

I'm feeling MUCH stronger with my training now that I'm about 2 months in with the whole Paleo thing. I haven't done any super long runs though, but it seems I have more energy for my interval training and high intensity workovers.

I like to do a 23/1 fast

I like to do a 23/1 fast (fast 23 hours and then eat a big meal instead of having a longer "feed window"). I have no problem doing this, eating at noon and then running between 7 and 9 at night, or on empty for the long weekend run. I have been slacking and eating extra when I go home at night after my run and it's been nothing but detrimental. I should eat more at lunch to compensate for more mileage, but I've been mentally lazy about it. Hubby eats the same way and has no problems running on empty, even running on no fluids, too. It's all about adaption.

Really cool article

Really cool article sole_foot. This is exactly what I'm trying to do with my diet and training. I noticed that the article recommends no carbs up to 20 miles though. That's normally "the wall" where the body shifts from burning glycogen to fat for fuel, and most people bonk. But if you're already burning fat, why would you have the same bonk point I wonder. Seems like as long as you have fat on your body, you can keep running and burning fat without food.

I sometimes do what a friend

I sometimes do what a friend of mine has recommended for weight loss- as soon as waking up, run (and/or workout) BEFORE eating. Doing this burns stored fat calories. I try to do this in the afternoon, i eat lunch around 11:20am, then run around 5pm. It can take some strong mindpower, but supposedly its worth it.

I'm with the Deviant.  I

I'm with the Deviant. I don't run very fast, nor do I run so very far and don't think much of the idea of missing a meal for any reason. I'll eat when it's time to eat and run when my schedule allows and food in my belly or not doesn't seem to matter...except that time when I had a big meaty dinner and way too much to drink the night before and gee, I didn't feel much like running the morning after. I won't do that again!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts