New runner here with a question

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Supersco82, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Supersco82 Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hey all,

I'm just getting back into running after a loooong absence. I've been wearing minimalist shoes (Altra, Lems, Tune) for several months now and have been seeing a reduction in foot and leg pain.

I want to start running again and this time I want to do it barefoot. Problem is I live in the OKC metro (Edmond currently - looking for houses elsewhere) so there's not a lot of wide open grass space.

Since I haven't run in years and have never run barefoot, I've been taking barefoot walks of around a mile. I've jogged very slowly for a couple hundred yards like twice. But I don't like running on concrete and am actually pretty scared of injuring myself on it. Where do you guys run if you live in the city?
    paulbeales and Barefoot TJ like this.
  2. paulbeales Administrator
    1. Presidents
    2. International
    3. United Kingdom

Message Count:
    Can anyone in Oklahoma City advise Supersco82?

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. miker Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Supersco82, Welcome to barefoot running in Oklahoma! I live near Tulsa, but face many of the same issues you would have in Edmond. I, personally, love running on new concrete (of which there is plenty in Edmond). I like the immediate feedback I get from my feet regarding form. Grass allows me to be much sloppier. But...if you want grass...find a soccer field. There is that large soccer complex in Edmond where you could get larger loops, depending on how long you were wanting to run. I did 5 miles worth of 1/2 mile loops in Owasso on Monday while my son practiced soccer there. Feet feel fine today. In May, I ran 1 mile barefoot on an asphalt path and worked up a couple of small blisters. From what I understand, the OKC/Edmond area doesn't have an abundance of dirt trails, but you might look around for a high school cross country course. Sometimes they aren't bad for barefoot running. Also, there is a large running club in OKC. Landrunners(?), or something like that. You might check for group runs with them. This would allow you to scope our some different areas that might work for barefoot running. But, alas, you will probably be one of the few (or maybe the only) people/person who are willing to lose the shoes. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. :)
    paulbeales and Barefoot TJ like this.