New Haven, CT 20K labor day race report.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I ran this race last year and it was my last race shod, a week after the race I took my first barefoot run, and the rest is history. I had a somewhat uncertain goal for this race to beat last years time, the difference I would be running it barefoot. Last years time was 1:35:07, pace 7:39. I really didn't know if I could achieve this, but I was going to try. I was having a few good tempo runs in the 7:30 pace a month prior to the race, but the question was can I maintain it for 12.4 miles.

I got somewhat of a decent sleep the night before the race, as of now I am probably averaging 5 hours of sleep due to various late night feedings for my two month old son. I usually don't sleep well before a race anyways. I woke up at 6:30am and it was about 60 degrees out, i knew it was going to be perfect running weather. By race time which was 8:40am, it was about 75 degrees, just perfect.

There was about 2700 people running the 20k, it was a great turnout. So the race starts, I wish I moved up closer to the front to avoid all that stop and go, the first mile was basically weaving in and out trying to establish some open space so I can get into my groove. It took me until the first mile marker to really settle in and things started to open up, I noticed I was around a 9:00 min/pace, but that had to change quick in order for me to achieve my goal, so I really picked up the pace to make up for the lost time.

Jump to the 5 mile mark my time was 37:15, I was pleased where I was at now. I don't wear a garmin, just an Timex Ironman watch, but my last tempo run I did 4 days before race day was a 5 miler with a time of 37:05, so I knew it was good. Now could I hold this pace?

Mile 7,8,9 I knew I was slowing down, but there is always a low point in a run, and I was hoping this was it and I could break out of it. Miles 8 and 9 were my worse miles of the race, I don't know what it was but I just felt off, got really tired, and kind of lost my groove. Luckily I snapped out of it at mile 10.

Right at the start of mile 10 is the second hill of the race, I had to take advantage of this. I consider myself a pretty strong hill climber, so I switched gears, and started to pass people. I knew this was the last hill then it was all straight roads until the finish. That little boost was what I needed to dig down deep and really increase my pace again.

By mile 11 I was feeling really good, had a very fast pace going The last two miles are downtown, so there are a lot of spectators and the crowd energy is awesome. Mile 12 still holding strong, it's a complete straightaway to the finish line. The last mile was the most fun, the crowd energy was incredible, and all the runners are just trying to maintain or go all out. I start surging even more, and had enough gas in the tank to increase my pace again. The last 1/2 mile was almost like sprint.

Cross the finish line! I totally forgot to look at the race clock when I crossed the finish line, but my watch said 1:33:46. I think I reached my goal! But i really had to wait for the official race times to be 100% sure. So I go to the beer tent to get my free Red Hook beers, yes I was double-fisting, almost every runner was so I wasn't alone. Nothing like a cold beer after running, the best post-drink ever, if you ask me.

I get home, shower, and gather up the family to head out for lunch. Got home, go online to check for the race results and they were posted. My official time was 1:34:37 - Pace 7:37. I achieved my goal,I beat last years shod time. That was my last race for the summer and couldn't think of better way to end it.

That's a beast pace!  I've

That's a beast pace! I've got a half mary in November and I'll be shooting for around that pace. Just not sure if I can manage it barefoot. I did a 4 miler recently at a 6:45 and my feet felt pretty tender afterwards, no blisters though. How'd the feet hold up? What kind of terrain did you encounter? Any suprises? It's an out of town race for me so I can't prerun the course and I'm not sure how to prepare.

Man, you guys are like

Man, you guys are like rockets!! Last week I ran the last mile of a 3 mile run at a 7:50 pace and thought I was smokin' ;) Oh well, back to reality...but seriously, great job on the race and good luck to you ewheel!

Congrats, LBF!

Congrats, LBF!

sweet!  Two things I focused

sweet! Two things I focused on in your post.

1) You drop little details here and there that suggest you really know yourself as a runner. "There's always a low point in a race," "I consider myself a pretty strong hill climber," etc. And you never said anything about hurting yourself to get your time. Does BFR have anything to do with that??

2) Beer. beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer.

stomper wrote:sweet!  Two

stomper said:
sweet! Two things I focused on in your post.

1) You drop little details here and there that suggest you really know yourself as a runner. "There's always a low point in a race," "I consider myself a pretty strong hill climber," etc. And you never said anything about hurting yourself to get your time. Does BFR have anything to do with that??

2) Beer. beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer.

Hi,

I would say barefoot running has nothing to do with it really. I have been running organized races for sometime now, and just being in that atmosphere you pick things up about yourself as a runner. But I will say barefoot running has made me want to compete better in the races now, running barefoot has brought some new excitement now. Running races is all about strategy, I am out competing against the course and myself, so I want to improve my tactics, pace, when to hold back, etc.

As far as not hurting myself, I knew what pace I wanted to achieve for this race so I specifically trained that way. I did tempo runs to condition my feet and the stress.

I purposely run hills, and do speed work, such as tempo runs even if I am not training for something I just like to maintain a somewhat moderate level of fitness.

Beer, the breakfast of champions!

ewheeldrive:  The feet held

ewheeldrive: The feet held up fine, no blisters at all. There a bit tight today, but that's a given. It was all concrete, I did experience a few rough spots. The race took you through some very ubran parts of the city, and a few times I had to avoid glass, I actually ran through some glass but had no choice because I was kind of blocked in. One thing i love with closed off races is you get to use the whole road, I should of known better not to hung the curb so much, especially in a city atmosphere. But I had no issues with glass in the foot, thankfully.

Went through some construction areas, and the roads were a mess, huge cracks and splits in the concrete. I had a few incidents where my toes slipped in between the cracks, it was ever so slightly but you can feel it. (These are things you would never experience with shoes though) I really had to give some extra attention to navigate my way through some of the rough spots. Other than that things were great.

6:45 is a fantastic pace! Good luck! If you feel you can run it barefoot go for it!

On a side note with speed I found I need to open up more, and push off. I don't encounter blisters, and pushing off seems more comfortable to me than lifting. I have no clue why I don't get blisters, maybe my feet are conditioned now.