Apr 3, 2012
Reviewed by: buzzie
Date Product Reviewed: 10/24/2011
Product Type: Footwear

picture-630.png

2012-04-07_004821.png

The following review was taken directly from my website: runwhatmay.com

NewBalance-WT20_20111024-600-300x224.png

I'm on a quest for a go-to shoe for use beyond mile 30, 50, or 60 of a trail ultra.
I have been loving the Merrell Pace Gloves (women's version of the Trail Glove), but... At some point, my feet get tired of being stepped on and my pace slows more than I might like over rugged terrain.

Yes, I could do with more time on my feet and more practice on the tough stuff. However, I also have other goals I'd like to achieve in the meantime. Hence my search for another shoe - the right tool for the job at hand.
I'd really like to find something that makes my feet as happy as my Pace Gloves, but with a bit more protection.

I have a longish list of shoes I've already ruled out for this mission - too narrow, too wide, too thick, too thin. There are some that have the right specs on paper, but they just don't fit. Others fit my feet but not the mission.

The original New Balance Minimus Trail (WT10) is on my reject list for its strange fit. It offered enough room for my toes, but was tight across the ball of my foot. The crease in the upper, with my foot bent at the toes, was a festering sore waiting to happen. And, to top it all off, my heel slipped. I never did try running in them - instead, I sent them back the same day.

Other shoes have since come and gone - all a disappointment. So, with my next race looming, I initially decided to just HTFU and go with the Pace Gloves the whole way. But, the chicken in me said to give New Balance another chance.
The current-generation New Balance Minimus Trail WT20 looks a bit different than the WT10. Maybe it also has a different fit...

Out of the Box

What arrived was a shoe that I think is much better looking than the original WT10 - simpler and more refined without all of the straps and the zig-zag stitching. To me, the first version of the Minimus Trail looks like a Franken-shoe - patched together from whatever scraps were lying about the shop. The WT20 appears sleek and sporty, with a mature design.
For those of you unfamiliar... The WT20 (or men's MT20) is a mid-year update to the first Minimus Trail shoe, the WT10 (men's MT10). It maintains a few of the features of the WT10 (most notably the 4mm heel drop and soling), eliminates a few of the quirks (strap system and toe spring), and shaves nearly an ounce off the weight.​
I tried them on... all of my fit issues with the WT10s were gone.
  • The toe box is roomy enough for my toes to splay and move about
  • The fit is good across the ball of my foot
  • There is no annoying creasing action in the upper
  • There is no noticable heel slippage (although I wouldn't describe the fit as tight)
Good enough to take 'em for a spin.

First Run

I ran them on the treadmill - no untoward behavior.
Okay, now I'm committed... no shipping back!

Second Run

I took them out on a leaf-covered rocky, rooty trail that fairly well matches conditions for my upcoming race. I stepped on the most jagged rocks I could find (which isn't saying much, considering that we mostly have rounded stones around here). I let loose on the downhills.
  • The soles offer pretty good ground feel, but it is definitely muted compared to the Pace Gloves. Yet, even with the added protection, the shoes are still quite flexible - a must-have feature for me.
  • The midfoot fits securely enough to keep my toes from jamming on the downhills and feet from sliding around in the shoes on canted surfaces.
  • The heel still seems a bit loose - not quite slipping, but not inspiring a lot of confidence in the prospect of shoe-sucking mud.
  • Speaking of mud, the soles don't seem like they'd offer the best traction in mud or on wet rocks & boardwalks. But, I wasn't able to test this and also realize that every shoe is a series of compromises.
NewBalance-WT20-Sole_20111024-600-300x224.png
New Balance WT20 Sole
Third Run

We went for a spin on the streets of my neighborhood.
  • Although these shoes weren't designed for pavement, I found them quite comfortable and not unpleasant (the way some trail shoes can be). Of course, at this point, the 4mm heel-drop becomes apparent. But, I've not found such a small drop to be an issue on trails - so, really, this is not a factor in terms of my intended use.
Fourth Run

I put them head-to-head with the Pace Gloves - one loop of the leafy, rocky, rooty trail in each.
  • Yep, still enjoy the connectedness I feel in the Pace Gloves. But, geez, could I feel each rock, root, and twig. Clearly I've been spending too much time on the streets these past two months! Now I'm concerned that I've lost some acclimatization. The WT20s feel good to me - again, nice protection, but still reasonable ground feel and with no turned ankles on the leaf-hidden rocks.
Around Town

I spent a week using these as my daily shoes - running errands, walking into town, etc.
  • No bad habits emerged. However, I did confirm that traction is dicey on wet wood decking and smooth concrete - something I'll have to remember on boardwalks and river crossings.
Bottom Line

Less than two weeks out from the Ozark Trail 100, I'm now thinking that these will NOT be my go-to shoes. Rather, I'll be starting - and finishing - in the New Balance Minimus Trail WT20.

Makes Me Happy
  • Handsome design in colors that aren't too girly
  • Good fit and comfort - room for toes but otherwise secure
  • Overall flexibility that allows the shoe to move with my foot (rather than my foot moving within the shoe)
  • Nice compromise on protection and ground feel over moderately rocky / rooty terrain
Not So Much
  • 4mm heel drop (not really an issue on trails)
  • Lacing set-up not conducive to good coverage with my beloved Dirty Girl Gaiters (I may sew on an eye for the gaiter hook at the base of the tongue or just beyond the overlay)
NewBalance-WT20-Gaiters_20111018-600-300x224.png
Gaiter Attachment - FAIL