NEVER Never again!

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
Over the past month I have been working back into running and making some good strides. The Achilles is feeling pretty good except every now and then it gets tender and aches. For the most part I have been running in either my KSO's or some minimalist NB shoes I am testing. I haven't put in a lot of miles barefoot since it is cold and I am a pussy when it comes to cold.

To make a long story short I got this insane brain fart and put on my old asics nimbus 11's and went for a run. OH MY GAWD! those boats don't float. They were so heavy and uncomfortable I thought I was going to die. They were HOT and felt confining. I felt like I was running with bricks on my feet and I was clod hopping. My arches started to hurt and felt tender then I realized to stay up on my forefoot and avoid heel striking I had to literally run on my toes. I felt like I was running like girls in high heels look when they walk. I did make it a 6 mile run and at the end I took off the boat anchors and walked barefoot 1/2 mile to cool down. Seriously, that was the best part of the run.

I didn't really expect it to be such a shock but I guess 18 months of running in VFF's. Minimalist shoes, Huaraches and barefoot has really changed the way i run and shoes no longer fit in that picture. So it is off to the salvation army they go.... Good riddance!

Brain fart is right.  Geez,

Brain fart is right. Geez, what we're you thinking?

I think it would be like

I think it would be like going out to run in my work boots. That's just wrong!

I think that even my VFF's are something of a throwback sometimes. I'm alays shocked at how quickly my feet soften and get sensitive. BF is best for me!

I had a similar hellish

I had a similar hellish experience. I was cutting grass in my old Saucony Triumph's last summer and decided to jog around the yard. I would echo your comment on running in high heals, it was rediculous. I'm actually having a hard time running in my MT100's anymore. I do alot of trail running and am hoping drop in the minimus isn't so noticable, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed.

Ah yes, a good minimalist

Ah yes, a good minimalist trail shoe. I am still waiting. The Minimus I have a feeling will have a drop as does the MT 100. In both cases they will probably be a D width and that doesn't work either. I think I an going to take some old Vibram lug soles and make some huaraches.

You see the guy on that

You see the guy on that other place that used an old Mt bike tire. I thought about that a while back but I think the thinness of the tire would cause the knobbys to press into the foot but maybe if I glued some cork and leather over the Mt bike tread. That might work to protect just enough and still get the barefoot feeling without slipping and sliding all over the place.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test