Need a certificate - I've joined the stress fracture club

Mike,TJ loves running, and

Mike,

TJ loves running, and loves living barefoot whenever possible as well.

She also was an awesome California barefoot skater chick back in the day.

Eventualy shoe wearing as she matured caused neuromas to develope in her feet, and by the time she started running barefoot they were already giving her problems. Ironicaly only barefoot running relieved the discomfort of the neuromas, as shoe wearing only made the symptoms much worse.

As a firm believer in barefoot running, she succesfully lobbied the Runner's World forums to create a barefoot runners division, and then went on to found The Barefoot Runners Society.

Cryosurgery this past May in an attempt to destroy the neuromas did not result in the desired outcome, and the heel centric walking during recovery caused her plantar fascia to rebel. There may also have been a setback related to antibiotic therepy for an unrelated condition.

She will make a full recovery and be running barefoot very soon.

She will then also rediscover her inner skater girl self and take up barefoot longboard skateboarding as an alternative to cycling and walking on her running days off.

This has been a totaly un-authorized biography, but is true to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you, Guys!Thanks,

Thank you, Guys!

Thanks, Mike, for your well wishes. Feeling good vibes coming my way from you.

Thanks, Board. Thanks for caring about me enough to know my story. I think you covered it very well. I am so drunk right now, though, I am suprised I can even type this.

Ah crap, sorry Phil! Been

Ah crap, sorry Phil! Been there, done that and it sucks! I was back to running low mileage within 6 weeks. You'll be back out there soon. I transitioned much slower the second time around, definitely pushed myself a little too much. Lesson learned. I'm up to 10-11miles 5months post injury. Make sure you're not putting much pressure on it, keep the foot as solid as you can (you're booted?). I wasn't and it was a bit of a challenge keeping it stabilized.

Lots of calcium and vit D, you'll be back in no time. Use this time off to absorb a little about the lessons in patience and listening to your body ;)

TJ - No team for me.  I've

TJ - No team for me. I've never been a racer. I've always made fitness my goal either as a job requirement or as a personal requirement for life.

Dave - I haven't worn a uniform in about 15 years. I'm a consultant for the Army now at Fort Mac, until it closes next summer and we move to lovely Fort Bragg.

Mama Zum - yes, ma'am. Sorry to hear you've had the same experience, but thanks for sharing the encouragement and the nurturing.

#$%$ So I think I might of

#$%$ So I think I might of joined too, but I'm not actually sure. There was no "moment" where I'm like ugg I just fractured my foot. It started hurting a few days ago and has now gotten progressively worse. I can still sort of walk on it it just is tender. I was took two days off anything (not really because of my foot but I had personal obligations to attend too and it got worse as I took time off), then went to the gym today and did non running stuff and I think it was fine but it still hurts to walk on it without at least a sock. How do you know if you actually fractured it or if its just being tender and having growing pains? I'm sooo bummed. The ironic thing is since I decided I was totally done with shoes I cut out all speedwork last week, all hills and just basically did slow relatively flat long runs at no longer than I'd already done barefoot. And now I get hurt? It kinda makes me wonder if at some level these are inevitable in some people. I've pulled some stupid stuff barefoot and just had minor issues so why would this happen when I was actually behaving myself. *end rant*

Hopefully my suspicions turn out to be wrong and it is just tender but I'm kinda scared. :cry:

I'm so bummed for you, AJB. 

I'm so bummed for you, AJB. This sucks. I think some people are predisposed to stress fracturers, those with weaker bones for one. I also think that stress fractures aren't inherent to BFR or MR only, since shod runners get them too. I wish you speedy healing and that you'll be well soon. Keep us posted.

AJB - my foot went from

AJB - my foot went from slightly sore over 3 runs to sharply painful over about 1.5 miles. It hurt stabbingly on any impact, including that of setting my foot down lightly, as most broken bones do. It also hurt to the touch, but the sensitivity to impact or vibration has always been the giveaway for me in my experience with multiple broken bones over the years.

Sounds similar to my experience, which I'm still healing from 6.5 weeks later. I'm wondering if I may not also be one of those people like Nature Runner who need to stick with softer surfaces than concrete/asphalt. I've never had a problem running shod on those surfaces for 25 years, but in fairness, I built up and maintained a solid strength level of all the muscles I used over that time. This is like learning a totally new sport using many only lightly-used muscles and connecting tissues, and at age 42 to boot.

Bottom line - I think if I had backed off for 2-3 weeks when my foot first started hurting, I probably would have been fine. If given the same choice knowing what I know now, I'd take 2-3 weeks off immediately versus 8 weeks of painfully enforced absence after 1 more week of running.

Phil, hoping your healing is

Phil, hoping your healing is going well. I know how frustrating it is not to be able to do what one enjoys the most.

ajb, keep an eye on the foot and don't overdue it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is a bruise and not a xt fracture. Good luck.

I'm certainly not laughing,

I'm certainly not laughing, Phil. I know it could be me there in your place. I think it ws about 8 weeks into my BF experience that I got antsy and wanted FASTER. Luckily, I got over it before I got hurt. I remembered that, at 54 and as a newbie runner, I was damned lucky to have any running in my life at all.

Peace and heal well!

Thanks guys. I haven't run

Thanks guys. I haven't run in seven days and its still pretty sore but certainly getting better. I was able to do some cross training today that involved a little bit of impact for about 30 minutes before I decided it would be wise to stop. I think I got lucky and caught it before it became a fracture. Its getting at least another few days off before I run on it again.

9.5 weeks in, still can't run

9.5 weeks in, still can't run comfortably. The bone is healed, I can swim and I can push the elliptical machine around in circles like a good hamster, but the feet provide instant feedback on trying to run (they're not great orators, but it goes something along the lines of "don't do it, you fool!"). I'm listening, but I'm not happy with the healing progress. I must have also done some connecting tissue damage at the time of "the incident," which experience has shown me takes about 6 months to mostly heal.

I was wondering how you were

I was wondering how you were doing, Phil. Have you been wearing "the boot" for the duration of your healing? Perhaps using the elliptical was not a good idea? My understanding is you want that foot to be sedentary until it has fully healed; any movement will set you back.

Have you been taking extra calcium and vitamin D? If not, be sure to do so.

TJ:No boot, the elliptical

TJ:

No boot, the elliptical and the swimming so early into healing were probably not a good idea, and I can testify that any significant movement impedes healing. I'm healing slowly but consistently as I've figured out what I can and can't do without losing ground. I've been ramping up both nutrients as well. I'll get there eventually. Thanks.

Phil

I'm back up and running, at

I'm back up and running, at least a little. I'm running several times a week, 1-2 miles at a time, shod to cushion the more slowly healing tendon and ligament damage. I've BFR 1-2 miles a few times over the last month, and now twice in the last week, 3 miles each time at an incredibly slow pace. Glad your site transition ordeal is over (coinciding with the end of my enforced running embargo) and we're back online, TJ. Thanks for all you and many other dedicated folks do to help out their fellow pilgrims.

You are quiet welcome, Phil. 

You are quiet welcome, Phil. I'm just glad you are able to run again, and barefoot to boot. Don't be disappointed or get frustrated that your mileage and speed is down. Just be patient, and you'll get back to where you were if not a better. I know it's difficult, but you're doing good with your distances and speed being low right now. I know you had a stress fracture you were dealing with. I guess I wasn't aware of your tendon and ligament problem. Is this all related to the stress fracture somehow? How does it feel where you cracked it? Is it tender? Do you have any pain?

TJ - I think it is all

TJ - I think it is all related. The bone is fully healed and feels fine. But the connecting tissues around it still get sore easily, all the more so when it's colder. I think I damaged the entire area at the same time, with the bone just being the quickest part to heal. It sometimes feels like TOFP, but neither stretching nor rolling on any assortment of golf balls, cans, frozen water bottles, etc. helps at all. Since connecting tissues get so little blood flow, they take forever to heal, as I learned with one of the 2 hip problems that sent me here to begin with. I hope they will continue to improve over the next few months as I ease back into the barefoot waters and just paddle around a bit.

How are you doing with your Morton's challenges?

I'm sure you will be fine. 

I'm sure you will be fine. Just stay the course, slow and steady.

My MN is still a problem. My toes go numb just walking around on the carpet at home or on grass. My toes hurt sometimes in the middle of the night, even on those days I have been inactive. I can't seem to get my mileage up, due to the weather and the fact that my hubby's hours are long right now (I have two little ones) to find out if I can increase my long runs further than they were before the cryosurgery. Then I'm dealing with the PF that I got after healing from the cryosurgery from walking around on my heels those three months. I do like the cold though, since it helps numb the pain in my toes away, but the other conditions prevent me from getting out as often as I like. I look forward to longer days.

Let me serve as a warning to others. Don't wear crappy shoes, that being the traditional boat anchors out there.

Testosterone and adrenalin -

Testosterone and adrenalin - a deadly cocktail at any speed!

Sorry to read of your injury. I hope I can learn that lesson without mucking myself up too badly.