NB Minimus Detailed Pics and Colors..... finally!

Here they be. Don't ask how I came across them.

Good news: looks like excellently wide toe box and extremely minimal upper with awesome "wrap"

Bad news: appears to be a bit more sole than I expected. Not a serious disappointment, but I was hoping for something more... minimus? Maybe?

I like the grey and the black/yellow, personally.

It looks like you got them

It looks like you got them from tricity? I came across some of the orange ones on the net, full photos not the teasers, awhile ago, and I could have sworn there was a review too, but when I go back, it's all gone. Jason thinks they were told to pull it. Bummer.

With these, I think the sole is a bit thinner than they look. I think some of that extra rubber is just for looks, which also adds to the weight. At least New Balance is on the right track with us.

These look very promising. I

These look very promising. I wish they'd been out for a few months already, they look like a good minimalist winter option.

Barefoot TJ wrote:It looks

Barefoot TJ said:
It looks like you got them from tricity? I came across some of the orange ones on the net, full photos not the teasers, awhile ago, and I could have sworn there was a review too, but when I go back, it's all gone. Jason thinks they were told to pull it. Bummer.

With these, I think the sole is a bit thinner than they look. I think some of that extra rubber is just for looks, which also adds to the weight. At least New Balance is on the right track with us.

Don't tell anybody, but if you google tricitynewbalance and minimus and looked at the cached version of the page. Sssshhhh. It's a secret.

But, yeah. They do look quite promising. I can't wait to get my hands on them Ugh... more waiting.

I really like the look of

I really like the look of these, especially the toebox. It reminds me of my Vivo Barefoot Aquas (which will probably be my "winter" running shoe this year).

Sign me up for a grey & white pair please.

David

I think there is too much

I think there is too much heel, compared to Terra Plana Aquas. I'm sorry, why am I complaining, I run barefoot.

I am hearting the fact that

I am hearting the fact that they don't seem to suck in the arch like the Evos - it's my number one problem with most minimalist attempts.

the report i got was that

the report i got was that these are 8mm in the forefoot with a 12mm heel. Roughly the same as thinner racing flats that are on the market like the Saucony A4. They are a big drop from conventional shoes but the barefoot runner will feel encumbered in these. The wider toe box is nice and that will help with the feel but a lot of you guys are getting overly excited if you don't like Evos or vffs for reasons like stiffness or thickness. etc.

I am trying a pair of

I am trying a pair of minimal shoes for a company and from the pictures they look like they are thick soled but upon seeing and feeling and wearing them I was totally impressed. So I think that the pictures are deceptive and we should keep that in mind.

I put about 250 miles on a

I put about 250 miles on a pair of Trails. I can't give details, but I will say New balance got it right. These shoes rank among my three favorites alongside the second generation EVO IIs (improved fit over the first generation) and Inov-8 X-Talon 190s (reviewed here). None of those three are perfect, but they far surpass last year's offerings. We'll have some good stuff for this winter. Add the new Merrells and Inov-8 BareGrips into the mix, too. Finally, GoLite will be releasing their Tara Lites soon.

As soon as NB gives me the okay, I will post a very comprehensive review.

Last Place Jason wrote:As

Last Place Jason said:
As soon as NB gives me the okay, I will post a very comprehensive review.

Can't wait to read it, brother. I love the looks of these better than anything else out there on the horizon right now, although the Merrells are intriguing judging based upon the looks of the sole/lack of cushioning and stability.

Can you give any feedback on the heel/cushioning of the Minimus? Overall sole flexibility? Also, did you get to try out the Minimus road at all?

Thanks, Jason!

I got to see both the

I got to see both the Trail and the Road at the expo for the Detroit Free Press Marathon a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, neither were in a size I could try on and the NB rep was busy chatting up a buddy about stuff that had nothing to do with shoes (In his defense, I'm sure he had a long day) so I didn't have a chance to ask any questions. They also had a TV set up with the Minimus Road promo video that was posted on Youtube.

The Trail is pretty minimal in my opinion, maybe a bit thicker sole than a VFF, but not by much. I would almost say they appear similar to a VFF without the individual toes and a different sole. They look promising.

The Road model was represented in several different sizes and colors. It's hard to judge these things without running in them, but by picking them up and playing around with them they appear to be more minimal than the Nike Free 3.0. They look to have a nice wide toe box, which is a HUGE selling point for me. They felt light and were flexible, but did have a noticeably thicker sole than the Trail. The make or break for me will be how much ground feel they have and how "spongy" the cushioning is. The Nike Free 3.0 to me feels like running with jelly on your feet and is way too springy. I hope NB has gotten away from this, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Per NB's request, I can't

Per NB's request, I can't give any details. I did like the Trails a lot, though. As of today, they would be one of my top picks... but not necessarily THE top.

I should be getting some Roads soon and can post a review immediately. They are thicker and probably spongier than the Trails. FYI- the Wellness model is surprisingly good for running. The Trail review should be posted around the end of this month.

Unfortunately, all have a 4mm heel. It's not an issue on trails, but is noticable on roads.

Jason,  did you try the

Jason, did you try the Trails on concrete or blacktop at all? If so, how did they hold up if you're at liberty to say? I imagine that they are not really designed for it, but I though I'd ask.

I do a majority of my running on pavement. I've really struggled to find something that adequately protects the foot, but isn't too cushioned. The best I've used so far is the Feelmax Osma. My pair help up for aprox. 450 miles or so before the soles started to developed holes in them and were completely blown out after about 500 miles, which isn't really that bad at all considering the sole is 2mm thick. Towards the end of their life, the bottom of my feet on the outer ball (primary impact area for me) also started to get sore after about 8-10 miles, but I attribute that mainly to the soles wearing down in that area.

Do you think the Trails would be an acceptable road shoe? I also look forward to your review of the Road.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test