My second barefoot TRI two weekends ago.

Awesome! I thought BF running on a tri was not acceptable-good on you!

Reactions: pbarker
Congrats! Love the picture of you riding barefoot in the tri.

Reactions: pbarker
How many different sanctioning groups are there for tri's, there not ALL barefoot=dq, are they?
Which pedals did you use?

I duct tape my pedals. Ride 100k a week barefoot to work so nothing new on the bike,
Just ask the race director if you can. Smile and explain your training and experience.
I have been swimming barefoot my whole life;)

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
There are two groups that sanction most triathlons in the US. Those are the International Triathlon Union (www.triathlon.org) and USA Track & Field (www.usatf.org). The ITU specifically forbids running with bare feet, and the USATF specifically allows running without shoes. Both are silent on the issue of biking with bare feet. Even if a race is sanctioned by the USATF, it would be good to confirm with the race directors that they will allow it. Also, keep in mind that a course official may erroneously assume that you can't be barefoot while running or biking. True, an official may make a false assumption about any rule on the books, but, it does seem that there is a greater tendency to be mistaken about rules regarding bare feet than other rules.

TD Moose is incorrect. USATF is for Track and Field. Not Multi-Sport. USAT is for Triathlon. There is no listed rule against barefoot in USAT. (listed Running Rules below) - The biking rules are extensive including measurements of your bike to the cm. But they are silent on barefoot.

Also, dont know the facts on the "most events are sanctioned by" comment. Local Tri uses USAT rules, REV3 uses USAT, IRONMAN uses USAT...

ARTICLE VI: RUNNING CONDUCT
6.1 Permitted Conduct. A participant must run or walk the entire portion of the run course. Except for reasons of safety and when no advantage is gained, all runners shall follow and remain within the prescribed course. A participant who gains forward progress by crawling or otherwise violates this Section shall be disqualified.
6.2 Knowledge of the Course. The responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed course rests with each participant.
6.3 Permitted and Illegal Equipment. Any participant who at any time wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item prohibited by Section 3.4(i) shall be subject to a time penalty. A participant may carry a water bottle on the run portion of the course, provided that such container is not made of glass. Glass containers are prohibited.

Reactions: Sid
PBARKER - awesome job! Thank you so much for posting. I have been considering doing this in my upcoming race. What distance TRI did you complete barefoot? What issues came up?

I have wanted to barefoot bike, but one concern - safety - worried me. I have hundreds of miles under me without falling off the bike, crashing the bike or otherwise having a need to put my feet down on a moving ground, but ... any issues I should think about?

Also - I have been concerned that the water portion would soften my feet. Was this an issue for you on either the bike or the run?