My review of huaraches, Zems, & VFFs

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I did a review today on my blog of the different minimalist shoes I've tried running in: homemade huaraches, Zem booties, and Vibram Five Fingers. Feel free to click over and check it out if you're interested.

Thanks for your review

Thanks for your review Beth.

I made a new pair of huaraches from thicker leather and I painted the bottom with plastidip. The problem is that the Plastidip shrunk my huarache a little bit. Next time I'll paint before cutting them.

I hope that the Plasti-Dip will make them last longer. My previous pair got a hole after 2 consecutive runs in the rain. The wet leather was less resistant to abrasion. The hole is in a weird spot on the side of my sole so I think a rock got stuck there and rubbed during the run.

The Plasti-Dip made them a little less floppy too, which is good.

Even if they don't last many miles I have enough leather from my $5 thrifted travel bag to make 4 more pairs and they take only a few minutes to make + plastidip painting and drying time.

I plan to make a pair a couple of weeks before each race. That way I can have 1 run to test them and break them in and then I can carry them with me during the race in case I need protection, knowing that they fit and that their new sole will last to the finish line.

I hope to run through the winter barefoot or with huarache with socks but if I get too cold I will buy either Zems or VFF, based on your review. If I don't spend on Zem or VFF and find the huaraches comfy enough in the cold I may invest in the Lunas before the spring.

Did anyone try the InvisibleShoes or others with Vibram Cherry uppers in the rain? Don't they get too slippery? It may not be a huge problem but would feel uncomfortable.

The black VFFs tend to get

The black VFFs tend to get the "gorilla feet" comments while the green VFFs (Classics & Sprints) get the "Lizard toes" comments. Just an observation. I would guess the pink ones would get "Little Piggies" comments.

sloutre--I know a lot of

sloutre--I know a lot of people find the huarache/toesock combo to be great for winter. And of course it's inexpensive, so hopefully it'll work for you! Glad the review was helpful. I like the idea of Plastidip on the leather.

MikeT--The "teeny tiny gorilla feet" comment came from zap on this board. I have to agree. But I still like 'em. ;)

TJ--Aww, little piggies. That would actually be fun. :)

just made my first pair of

just made my first pair of huaraches tonight out of a pair of flip flops. cut off all the foam that i could to get it down to just the rubber on the bottom and used a shoelace. took them out for a test mile and they feel awesome! not sure how long they'll hold up seeing how the pair of flip flops were already almost 3 years old, but i figured it was worth a shot.

I make all my huaraches,

I make all my huaraches, which I rarely use, out of insoles of all my old running shoes. They work very well. I prefer water shoes or sandals if I am shodding it.

Those are awesome

Those are awesome ideas...great way to save $ & be environmentally conscious!