My new winter shoe arrived today.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Huaraches by invisible shoe. They look great, already tied for the slip-on method which I wanted, didn't expect that.

I am going to try my darnest to not run in them, need to run barefoot as long as possible. But they will be my new casual weekend footwear, even in winter months. I figure this will be a great training tactic to constantly have my feet exposed through winter.

Mine as well.  I just have

Mine as well. I just have yet to make them from my kit.

Winter footwear?..... I'm not

Winter footwear?..... I'm not really sure how much huaraches will do about the cold, especially if theres snow... I guess they would help on ice, but it just seems like a bad idea to run on ice anyways. Good way to bruise a tail-bone. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I'll be doing my best to stick with barefoot and flip flops, though I might whip out the huaraches just because foam flip flops are really annoying when they're wet. I only wear the sandals when shoes are required though, I can't run with anything on my feet.

Danjo wrote:Winter

Danjo said:
Winter footwear?..... I'm not really sure how much huaraches will do about the cold, especially if theres snow...

My point exactly, the less I have for winter the better off. It's called conditioning, and trying to mold myself into a full time year around barefoot running who lives in the east coast. For those days of dead cold winter runs that are in the the low 20's, single digits, and dry. I will wear my huaraches. For the cold wet, sleet, and snow I have my KSO's. I will push barefoot running until mother nature puts me in a submission hold.

Finally broke down and bought

Finally broke down and bought huarches from Invisable Shoe. During the summer I was able to split street running with grass running, but now all the grass is dead and is more prickly....so I do more street running and have split a couple of blisters pretty deep. I'm actually pretty excited to get them in the mail and make them and see how they feel.

Sounds like a good plan

Sounds like a good plan Adam. I am also going to flick off mother nature and go barefoot as long as possible here in America's icebox. I like the idea of switching to huaraches sometimes though. I hadn't thought about them as a winter shoe. Good idea!

I get the idea of

I get the idea of conditioning your feet for the cold, I'm gonna be doing it myself, by why even bother with the huaraches? That 4cm of rubber isn't going to keep your feet warm if the air is that cold. Roads are generally warmer than the air temperature anyways, if only slightly, because of solar heating. Buying shoes that will specificly not make your feet any warmer doesn't make sense to me. Why not just go barefoot if your feet are going to be just as cold either way?

The pavement holds the cold

The pavement holds the cold and is very uncomfortable. I am warm enough in my flip flops on the chili days but if I am barefoot its different. I think even the thin huarache sole is better than skin to asphalt on the super cold days, especially in the morning before the sun has warmed the ground at all.

Maybe you could wear your huaraches until you run long enough to warm up and then take them off for the rest of the run.

I still need to relace my invisible shoes to fit comfortably.

Angie, there is a thread here

Angie, there is a thread here about making the huaraches more permanent where you don't have to keep retying them. It uses the slip on method but strengthens/tightens the knot on the side. I think SillyC is the one who came up with this. I can't recall the link. You could PM her for it if you are interested. I got some from them too, but I haven't even created my kit yet.

Adam G. wrote:Huaraches by

Adam G. said:
Huaraches by invisible shoe. They look great, already tied for the slip-on method which I wanted, didn't expect that.

I am going to try my darnest to not run in them, need to run barefoot as long as possible. But they will be my new casual weekend footwear, even in winter months. I figure this will be a great training tactic to constantly have my feet exposed through winter.

I did that last Winter, with BFT 4mm Cherry. They kept my feet from getting numb, down to about the freezing mark. Colder than that though, I just couldn't spend much time outdoors. The only running I did then was sprinting from one warm place to another.

For the 5 years prior to going minimalist, I wore open-toe Tevas without socks, even during cold-wet Winter. I didn't experience any "conditioning myself to cold". My feet were always cold outside when it was freezing, especially when the wind blew.

I'm desperate for a good minimalist shoe. I really wish I could have some made to my own design. The VFF (Sprint) is the only one I see that works well for running but of course it precludes the use of socks. Knee-high wool socks are the key to being safe out in cold-wet Winter.

Why not just wear the Injingi

Why not just wear the Injingi (five-toed) socks with your huaraches. The wool ones? Won't that work for warmth?

May I suggest water shoes

May I suggest water shoes with wool sox and scubas for deep snow?

I just used Steve's Slip on

I just used Steve's Slip on method to tie them - nothing fancy. But, yeah, they lasted about 80 miles or so tied like that. The knot just wore off the bottom of one of them, so I did have to retie. I'm thinking of retying the other one this week. I'm running a trail marathon in them next Saturday, and I don't want the knot to pop off the other one in the race.

Danjo - the 4 mm of rubber makes a difference. I know from experience here. Personally, I don't think the huaraches and injinjis will take me completely through the winter, but I wish you the best, Adam!

Toe-socks are too thin, not

Toe-socks are too thin, not to mention that they're an expensive, specialty item. It makes a lot more sense to have a toebox so that any socks can be used. Buy your specialty item once (shoe) as opposed to often (socks).

Scuba booties and other water shoes are usually made of neoprene. That material causes the sweat to fester because there's no ventilation.

The one thing I like about the Feelmax Osma is the quick-drying, ventilation material. Wear a wool sock to keep you foot warm and the water vapor will escape through the shoe's ventilation. I'd probably wear the shoe if it wasn't so unflexable.

I wasn't talking about

I wasn't talking about wearing the socks by themselves. I was talking about wearing them with the huaraches. They shouldn't wear out too soon that way.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test