My new huaraches--with no knot on the sole!

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
After deciding I was going to wait to get any minimalist shoes (until I've become a good BF runner), my "crafty" side got all excited, and I decided to go ahead and make some huaraches. I'm not running in them at this point, but they are great for wearing other places!

I used leather scraps I bought at Hobby Lobby for the soles, and craft cord. The soles are VERY thin, which I love, but that means the knots underneath were extra-"feelable." On one foot the knot started bothering me. So I came up with a way to make them without a knot.

I've posted the knot-free instructions on my running blog. Here's a photo:

Right click on the picture

Right click on the picture and select image properties and set the width to something like 450

Nice way to tie them and avoid the knot. Good work. Nice wide forefoot too. They look healthy!

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Got it--thank you, Lava

Got it--thank you, Lava Runner! My feet are no longer life-sized on my screen!

I'm curious about the "nice wide forefoot" thing. Does that mean my toes aren't squished together? I used to wear high heels a lot before I had kids, but once I started wearing more comfortable shoes during my first pregnancy, I could never go back! I'm barefoot a lot at home so hopefully that's helping me as I'm making the BF running transition.

I just meant they are nice

I just meant they are nice splayed toes and look like what I imagine toes and feet should look like if it weren't for the shoes we cram feet into these days.

These are toes that are the opposite of what I see in your healthy looking feet

http://feet.thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/foot-with-bunion-photo-by-dr-henri-lelievre.JPG

I must have a foot fetish or something ;)

OMGosh, Lava!  Where did you

OMGosh, Lava! Where did you get a picture of my mom's feet! Ha! Beth does have nice wide feet though, perfect for barefoot running, but then what feet aren't?

OW! You should have posted

OW! You should have posted some sort of warning before linking to that photo! ;) Yikes. My Asics are unfortunately a little tight in the toes...can't wait to ditch them entirely but of course I have to be patient with the learning process! Actually next time I run, after my BF portion I'm going to put on some older shoes that are less supportive and less cushioned.... Hopefully they'll be better to run in than my Asics. Anyway, I appreciate the compliments on my splayed toes. (Never thought I'd say THAT!)

Have you seen those YogaToes things? It's the right idea, I guess...but might as well be BF or in "non-squishing" shoes in the first place instead of having to buy something to separate your toes after they've been crammed into shoes!

You do have wide feet, and

You do have wide feet, and ASICS are known for their wide toe box. I would say DON'T wear them at all before you start to develop problems like I have with Morton's Neuroma (caused from wearing shoes and shoes with too tight of a toe box). Yoga toes don't work for me at this point. I am beyond help from something so simple. AND, if you HAVE to wear something during your transition, have you thought about wearing socks instead? Kinda comfy. They are as minimalist as you can get, yet provide more protection than you think. You can get about 5 five mile runs out of one pair, and if you buy them from the dollar store, they're very affordable. First, use the junkie ones you have in your drawers, we all have them.

TJ--Thank you for the idea!

TJ--Thank you for the idea!

My concern about running without shoes at this point is less about the sensitivity of my soles (though of course that's part of it)--and more just about everything I read about needing to build up all those muscles that aren't used to supporting my foot as it runs. I've read that stress fractures are possible if you transition too quickly, without giving those muscles time to build up.

I'm hoping my old sneakers will provide a nice transition...less support than my running shoes, hopefully making it easier to get away from my heel strike. They were always comfortable on my toes so I'm looking forward to getting away from my very-slightly-too-small Asics.

But boy do I hope the transition to 100% barefoot goes quickly. I keep reminding myself I've only been doing this just over a week.... I need to be patient as my feet and my stride adjust. I've just been so obsessed with BF/minimalist stuff that it feels like it's been much longer than a week!

Many barefoot running

Many barefoot running veterans will tell you to skip the "transition" period and go cold turkey. That doesn't mean keep the same pace and distance you are used to running now with shoes on. Of course, if you tried, you would become injuried in some way. What they are meaning is you should go cold turkey AND give up speed and distance...but only in the beginning as you will again be running at the pace and distance you previously ran shod. Many of us believe that to truly learn the best form of barefoot running for you is to start over. Start from scratch. That means no footwear at all. Doing so will help you to find your form more quickly, develop the proper muscles and tendons used while running barefoot (which are different than those used while running shod), and condition your plantar skin.

I advised you to use socks as a supplement to shoes to provide some comfort during your "transition" (whether that be physical, tenderness factor, or psychological, fear). They are the closest thing you can get to being barefoot. For those people who are not willing to go cold turkey for whatever reason, I would rather see people try to transition in socks than to become frustrated with barefoot running and give up on it altogether.

I transitioned by running

I transitioned by running barefoot at the start of my runs then putting shoes on after my feet started to get sore. That gave me the best feedback early on. I tried taking the shoes off at the end of a run but I found it was harder to maintain good form when tired at the end of a run and I ended up hurting my feet more. If your not ready to just go for it then maybe try my idea. Better yet, give your huaraches a try, they should work well

TJ & Lava--Thank you both so

TJ & Lava--

Thank you both so much for the input. I've heard both pieces of advice--start with small bouts of BF running while continuing to do some shod running (gradually phasing out the shoes); or just lose the shoes (and the distance) and gradually build distance back up.

For now I've been doing what Lava said, going a short distance BF and then putting my shoes on for the rest of my run. I've also had times when I've considered TJ's way, because these days my shoes are frustrating me. It's just hard to give up the distance. I'm a pretty new runner (8 1/2 months) and I've worked so hard to get up to this distance (almost 9 miles on my long run last weekend) so it's really hard to think about going backwards! Especially because I have half marathons in sight for the fall/winter.... Of course, if I do ditch the shoes entirely & decrease the distance, it'll probably be a lot easier to get BACK up to that distance than it was to get there in the first place....

Anyway, I'm just taking it day by day. I'm going to try the old shoes tomorrow after I run BF for awhile, and see how it goes. I may yet end up doing it the way TJ suggests.

I love to feel of the ground on my soles, even the rough asphalt! It's so organic and sensory. I really think that before too long it'll all "come together" and I'll be able to do short or long runs BF...and I'll wonder why I stressed so much about this transitional period. :)

I must say, your huarache

I must say, your huarache lacing is awesome. I fully plan to implement your way of lacing. As far as worrying about stress fractures, so long as you don't try and run through the pain/hot spots and keep your runs short at the beginning you should be fine. Because you stand barefoot all day you are doing your muscles/tendons/ligaments a great service, therefore greatly reducing your chances of injury. One last thing, grass running is awesome. Its nice and soft, and you will probably never get a blister while running on it, its the perfect desert for your feet after hard surfaces.

BF Kean--Awesome, thank you!

BF Kean--Awesome, thank you! I'm glad you like the lacing. I was pretty excited about it too.

Thanks for your advice--sounds like as long as I don't ignore pain I should be okay.

What is a "hot spot"? I keep reading that term.

I ran on grass just a bit the other day. You're right, it felt great!

for me there's nothing nicer

for me there's nothing nicer than macadam/concrete after a long trail run :)...the smooth sure surface is like desert :-D

sweet....but one thing...no

sweet....but one thing...no need to put your shoes on at starbucks :)....I don't wear shoes anywhere....anytime....

thinking about buying paperfeet, just in case someone, somewhere, gives me grief, that way, I can pull out the folded paper from my back pocket, unfold them, put them on in front of the person who gives me a hassel :-D

actually thinking about

actually thinking about making something out of duct tape

I've been in Starbucks as

I've been in Starbucks as well as Peet's coffee shop quite a few times barefoot. Haven't had any issues whatsover.

You should forward this tying method over to Ted. He seems to be constantly tweaking his methods and may be interested in seeing this.

Shacky & Naked Sole

Shacky & Naked Sole Nate--Several years back I was sitting in one of the easy chair-style chairs at Starbucks, reading. I'd slipped off my flip flops, probably had my feet tucked up next to me on the chair. Someone who worked there actually came up and told me I had to put my flip flops back on!! So I've just assumed that was Starbucks' policy. I wouldn't be surprised if health departments in some states do require shoes in a place people eat. It may change from state to state. But even if that's the rule, most baristas probably wouldn't enforce it...especially to someone who just happened to slip off their flip flops. Rather embarrassing as a customer!!

Shacky, I'll send it over to Ted; thanks!

Naked Sole Nate--I was thinking of trying to find some sort of good material to make my own "paper shoes" out of. Nothing at Hobby Lobby struck my fancy. But I think oilcloth would do well. It's not paper, but it's some sort of vinyl/fabric hybrid that would hold up really well.

Art--Those must be some thin huaraches...or some thick wallet! I think I could actually stick these in my pockets though they'd be rolled up and a little bulky.

Still wondering, for anyone who'd like to respond...what exactly is a "hot spot" ?

A hot spot is like a blister

A hot spot is like a blister but without the bubble. You'll more than likely see it; you will definitely feel it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts