My first race of the season

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
I ran the Philadelphia ODDessy Half yesterday, my first race since last October (when I fell out of a tree onto my butt and was set back for awhile.) It went fine, if slower than I might have wished for.

The temperature was 64 or 65 at 0700 when the race started, but the humidity was very high. I was surprised that I felt the need to pick up water at every one of the 6 or 7 water stops. That alone added a fair amount of time to the run, I guess.

The course was moderately flat, total elevation change of 190 feet. I was pleased to find myself fit enough to run right up the final hill, about 1/2 miles long at mile 12. A lot of folks were walking by the time I got to it.

I wore VFF's because I had no idea about the quality of the pavements / trails the race was to be run over. They served me well.

Last year, in April I ran my best half in 1:43:45. Yesterday I ran it in 1:59:50, and was glad to finish.

The best part of the race was the free beer provide by Sly Fox Brewery. I never enjoyed a couple pints so much as I did those yesterday morning even though it wasn't 10:00 yet.

Congrats!! your butt didn't give you any trouble I assume?:asshat:. Nice time btw!

Congrats! That time is still better than most people. Be proud! :joyful:

Congrats!! your butt didn't give you any trouble I assume?:asshat:. Nice time btw!

Gracias, Sra.!

No, the butt was AOK. It never really hurt anyway - my spine just took a massive compressive hit. Today my calves are just a wee bit sore, but are responding well to rolling. I'll run gently tomorrow for 4 or 5 miles and work out the rest of the kinks.

On a side note, Dama, your avatar always give me a flutter. I never knew I had the makings of a foot fetishist. Live and learn!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Nice job! Gotta love races that have free beer for the runners. I am thinking about the Philly Marathon in November.

I think of it, too. (Nah! No way! Pfffttt!) A bunch of my running club folk do it, though, being as we're based in Valley Forge. We can almost see the Philly skyline from here. In fact, I just realized that I saw milage markings for the Philly Marathon on the road as I was running yesterday.

Gracias, Sra.!

No, the butt was AOK. It never really hurt anyway - my spine just took a massive compressive hit. Today my calves are just a wee bit sore, but are responding well to rolling. I'll run gently tomorrow for 4 or 5 miles and work out the rest of the kinks.

On a side note, Dama, your avatar always give me a flutter. I never knew I had the makings of a foot fetishist. Live and learn!

:woot:should I change it? :woot:

No! You tried that once already and we had a vote, remember?

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Oh, and good job on the recovery from the injury as well as the race.

Absolutely....NOT!

It's just one of the simple pleasures of my life for which I thank you most sincerely. Aside from my avatar there's really nothing fishy about me!

Hahahaha )

Nice work JT. I missed that one because I ran the Wissahickon Trail classic the day before. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point. Have you checked out the Double trouble 15k and 30k 7/7/13? I think it's out your way and I'm doing it.

... Have you checked out the Double trouble 15k and 30k 7/7/13? I think it's out your way and I'm doing it.

Let me see how I'm feeling, Everett. I have run PC races there at French Creek Park and I love the place. Terrific, challenging trails that require near perfect attention to foot placement. Do you run this kind of trail BF?

It's the first day of my work holiday and I'm sort of supposed to be on my way to Maine, but it does look like a really cool race...

I will probably do my normal which is to Barefoot as much as possible and put on my Luna's off and on as needed. I've never run in that park so I don't know what to expect. If it's wet but need something for the rocks I would use VFF's instead of Luna's because it gets very slippery between my foot and the sandals. I have the older ones without the MGT grip on the footbed.