My FIRST footwear review: Bikila EVO

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I was asked by a representative of Vibram FiveFingers to review the Bikila EVOs.

Some of you know my background, but for those who don't, I want to (and it's important that I) preface my review by sharing a quick summary of my story:

In late 2008, I developed Morton's Neuroma (MN) (the accurate name being perineural fibroma) in both feet (two "neuromas" in each foot) from running in conventional running shoes such as Asics Kayanos, Saucony Grid Ignitions, and Nike Whatevers. (Studies show the number one cause of "MN" is the types of shoes we wear, so keep that in mind whenever you are shopping for new footwear; you don't want to end up like me.) I found that when I shed my running shoes, I could run much farther before the horrible pain from the neuromas set in. I would have been just fine, I believe, if I would have left it at that and continued to run barefoot and forever forgot about shoes, but I didn't. Instead, I made the horrible mistake of trying to remedy my feet from this terrible condition by having numerous procedures and then surgeries to remove the now stump "neuromas" that had developed no doubt from all the needles, electroshocking, freezing, and cutting. Needless to say, my feet will never be the same, and they will never be near-normal. Whenever I can, I go barefoot, but the ground and temperature has to be right, so at times, you can imagine, I have to rely on shoes.

I received the Bikila EVOs rather quickly, and I was very pleased with the looks of them. They were black with pink and yellow accents. I actually thought they looked badass, and I couldn't wait to try them on. The fit was just a little large for me. I normally wear a size 41 with the other Bikilas I have, but since this one didn't have padding around the heel, I needed to go down a size, to a 40. I contacted Vibram, returned the 41s, and they immediately sent out a new pair in size 40. These fit better, but I honestly wish they had half sizes.

I have been wearing them here and there over the past few weeks and have enjoyed them, but I really got to test them out at the 2014 (4th annual) International Barefoot Running Day held by the BRS's Georgia Chapter where I would be on my feet for 7 HOURS! I walked (mostly), hiked, and ran (the best I could) in them for a good four or five miles total throughout the day's activities, and they treated me alright. Of course, I was in a lot of pain from my condition by day's end, but that had nothing to do with the footwear. With the shoes, I found there was some but not too much ground feel since they had a little padding in the forefoot area. There was just enough to protect me at those times I stepped on a rock or log when we hit the trails. They were very comfortable, and if it weren't for my condition, I bet at times, I could have forgotten that I was wearing anything. These are by far the "thinnest" Vibrams I have seen and possibly the lightest.

So that's my report folks. If you are in the market for a pair of Vibrams, the Bikila EVO is a good choice for everyday wear and running! http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Bikila-EVO-womens.htm?activity=running

Details

Medium distance running in a minimalist shoe can be challenging for new minimalist users. It takes time for your foot to adjust to an increasingly thinner level of sole. The Bikila EVO is a fully redesigned shoe built for those looking for a shoe that provides the benefits of going barefoot and that has slightly more cushion to offer more comfort on a medium distance road run. The sole is still thin, and provides a bit more underfoot to ensure confidence while making the switch.

Specifications

Materials:

Upper Material: Polyester Mesh - Machine Wash Cold/Air Dry
Max Sole Thickness: 8.5mm (2.5 Rubber/4-EVA/2-insole)
Insole: 2mm EVA

Weight:

Women's size 38 - 4.23oz.
Men's size 43 - 5.07oz.

DSCN3825.JPG

DSCN3826.JPG

DSCN3827.JPG

Hello TJ, I have the older Bikila's and I noticed that after a day of use some muscles of my feet feel tight, this was because this VFF are not too flexible, you can’t freely bend your foot up and even worst, you can’t bend it down. With this new line of Bikila’s is this problem solved? Have you tried the KSO EVO?

I have the original Sprints. They are the MOST flexible. I would say that these Bikila EVOs are the second most flexible I have. They are so thin, they are almost as thin as the original Sprints. I also have the original Bikilas. They are very flexible, but I haven't worn them much, so they could be more flexible if I would have broken them in. I have the Bikila LSs, and they are very flexible. Love those too! I have the Golf Speed XC Lites, but I have only worn them two or three times, so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment, since I haven't broken them in yet, but they are flexible, just not as much as any of the others I have tried; probably has something to do with the fact that they are intended for golfing and need to be a little grippier than the other models.

I am so embarrassed... sigh. :asshat:

Reactions: NickW
:pompus: I will have to find this original sprints. Can you bend your toes down with them?
Oh yes! Everyone who has ever owned a pair will tell you the same thing. I don't know if they manufacture them anymore, but I saw some for sale online somewhere recently. The original KSOs are just as flexible as the Sprints, since they have the same sole, so check those out too, if you can.

The El-X to my knowledge are the most flexible of the vff's, or at least was as of a year or so ago. The Sprints have been discontinued so it might be tough to find them, but I'm sure with enough tenacity you probably could procure yourself some. I'm not a big fan of the toes in any model of vff and am tempted to cut the toes off on my pair of speeds. The toes in them are what cause me tofp because they don't flex and move naturally. If vibram would separate the rubber of the toes from the front part of the foot this would help tremendously, even if it was only separated by a mm or so by fabric.

Reactions: El Yuca Descalzo
I have the KSO EVO's

Great shoe while they lasted, very flexible, and best ground feel of the Vibram line-up.

But sadly, after just a couple weeks the sole is coming loose from the upper, and I have not particularly abused them.

I will exchange them, could just be a faulty pair.

They are a really great shoe, and my favorite of the vibrams.