Mt. Washington Road Race- 2013

Mike R

Barefooters
Dec 5, 2010
Suffield, CT
I ran the road race up the mountain this past Saturday. I can say that the first 6 miles were very barefoot-friendly, including the 3/4 mile dirt section. After that, the pavement was rough from the Sno-Cats but was manageable if you stayed to the side. The last 1/4 mile of pavement was torture but the crowds cheering on 'The Barefoot Guy" got me to the end in 2 hours 9 minutes. It was 75 degrees at the start but 45 degrees at the top and the wind was 50 mph, alternating between a head-wind and side-wind! I don't have any photos but the views are great!
As they say at the start of this race, "There's only one hill"

this is the race straight up a mountain right? good job.

As they say at the start of this race, "There's only one hill"

LOL only one hill! Thats awesome, I couldnt imagine running up such a grade for so long. Well the auto road is probably a little milder grade than straight up, but still, thats some serious hill climbing... for miles. :eek: Congrats!

Went on many hiking trips in the Whites, my favorite mountains out of what I have hiked so far. Last time there was on Washington actually, in '96 I think it was. We did the presidential traverse using the 3 huts there. Was a fantastic trip. Visibility on the peak I think was 60 or 80 miles that day. Just got back into hiking a few years ago (same time as running) after a decade off, and I really want to get back to the Whites. Maybe next year I'll plan a trip.

It's nice to have the crowds behind you. Congrats!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts