Morton's foot question?

I posted this to the doc, I

I posted this to the doc, I hope he sees it.

Continuing on as you are and

Continuing on as you are and ignoring it won't do you any good. The thing about MN is it only gets worse. Once it's progressed to a certain point, no amount of rest is going to help, as in my case. That's why I sought treatment for it.

Tell me more about MN. So

Tell me more about MN. So far, the foot is not getting much better very quickly at all. This could be a fracture as well. How can I test this? If I take ibuprofen and the pain lessens, is it not MN? Is it normal for the pain to show up in a such a fast way? I need more from you, my expert.

In addition, cramping the

In addition, cramping the feet in a shoe does not hurt it at all, actually helps it feel better. I think in a few days I can run with (gasp) trainers (only to protect, not permanently. I will never stop BFR).

Nyal wrote: In addition,

Nyal said:
In addition, cramping the feet in a shoe does not hurt it at all, actually helps it feel better. I think in a few days I can run with (gasp) trainers (only to protect, not permanently. I will never stop BFR).

I actually do this too, basically because of the pain in my right foot. I can never stop bfr it feels too darn good not to. I have noticed that the problem with pain is basically in the right foot, and by chance the 2nd toe is longer on my right foot. My left foot is shorter than 1st metty. I performed the test to see where it was and found out that way and not just by long toe. I know that that is an incorrect way of testing with just visual.

I have heard of some people

I have heard of some people having relief from putting their neuroma-plagued feet in shoes...GO FIGURE! I think it is just temporary relief, since as the neuromas continue to be compressed, they only get worse, and once they've moved beyond the line of no-return, there's no going back. I just cringe when I think of doing something like that. Once you try running in shoes, we'll know more. So, if you do run in shoes, take special note of when the pain starts (if at all). Let me know what mile, not that it matters; I'm just curious.

I found I could actually run farther with less pain going barefoot than with shoes. When the pain did come, later in my running life, it would come around mile 13 - 15. I've run up to 17 miles with MN barefoot, but those last couple of miles were difficult.

Anti-inflammatories won't do anything to help alleviate the pain from nerve damage. They don't even prescribe them for MN. So if you try them, be sure to take them at the highest "allowed" dose for the longest "allowed" amount of time, so you'll know that you took the most you can take and it still didn't work. If it does help, then perhaps you don't have MN, and something else is going on.

Also, Nyal, how long have you

Also, Nyal, how long have you had this problem?

Where is the pain exactly?

What does the pain feel like exactly?

Did it come on all of a sudden?

Can you remember at any point in your life having a twinge of this pain?

You have been wearing your toe orthotic for how long?

Did the toe orthotic help?

Does it not help anymore?

Did you suspect MT as the problem and not MN?

Also, Nyal, how long have

Also, Nyal, how long have you had this problem?

It came up for the first time on Sunday on my longest asphalt run to date. Asphalt owns my ass, I hate it.

Where is the pain exactly?

It is oddly difficult to localize. Feels like it is in the 2nd toe somewhere, or maybe in the joint of both 2nd and 3rd toes. That region.

What does the pain feel like exactly?

Odd pain. Feels how I would imagine something being broken or perhaps stressed. Achy and dull, with sharp overtones.

Did it come on all of a sudden?

Yep, never had anything like this on the foot before Sunday

Can you remember at any point in your life having a twinge of this pain?

Nope.

You have been wearing your toe orthotic for how long?

I stopped using it to focus on form. I found I did not really need it.

Did the toe orthotic help?

It did, but I wanted a more permanent solution to the MT pain patches.

Does it not help anymore?

I will have to try it to see, but I am still not in love with the idea of being reliant on it.

Did you suspect MT as the problem and not MN?

Yes. I noticed that for some reason Lefty rolls most of its load to the 2nd metty and left wards. I suspect the strain of the run has injured something. What confuses me is that I cannot produce and pain by manipulating the area or pushing it or hitting it, but standing on it and walking on it hurts like the bottom bone of 2nd metty is broken. Plus there is that odd numbing of 2nd toe.

What are your thoughts

The first thing a doctor will

The first thing a doctor will want to do is take an x-ray to make sure you haven't fractured anything. After that, I hate to say it, but it sounds like MN. MN doesn't hurt me either...as long as I STAY OFF MY ASS, and that ain't gonna happen. It bothered me when walking around and especially if I was walking across anything soft, like carpet and grass, then the nerves would start to fire, not painful, just numbing and tingling. It's when I was running after so many miles the pain sets in.

You didn't really answer about how long you wore your toe orthotic though, or when you started wearing your toe orthotic, so I wonder if your using it kept this problem away and removing it made the problem surface.

I asked about past twinges of pain only because I have noticed my nerves firing occassionally but so seldom it didn't warrant my attention until after I became a runner. I'm sure it's not something that HAS to start when we are younger, but I was just wondering.

There is a test you can do to manipulate the metatarsals to reproduce a popping effect on the nerve/s that may be having the problem. This popping effect only takes place if you do indeed have a neuroma. If you do not have a neuroma, then it doesn't pop. It's not really painful to do, just uncomfortable. Okay, some may say it's painful. Other than having ultrasound or a costly MRI, it's one step in diagnosing MN. I found a site a while back that showed exactly how to do this, but I've spent a good half an hour looking for it, and I can't find it now. I also checked You tube (which has a lot of good videos on MN). But basically, hold your foot in your hand and press the sides of the foot inward, so that you are squeezing the metatarsals together. You will feel a popping sensation, and depending on how you do it, if you have more than one neuroma, you may feel popping in more than one area. Having two neuromas on one foot is rare; having both feet afflicted with neuromas is more rare; and having multiple neuromas on both feet is even more rare than that...so what's my FREAKIN' problem! I have two neuromas in each foot! GO FIGURE!

Anywho, please ask Dr. Mike if he knows of a video on how to manipulate the metatarsals for diagnosing MN or check around on the net for more info on this self-diagnosis method, and be sure to check out some of the videos on You Tube.

AND PLEASE keep me informed of what you find out.

Wow. Maybe I do have it....

Wow. Maybe I do have it.... HEY, we can me neuroma buddies! That popping thing sounds very unpleasant. Let me try it.....

BTW I am very, VERY appreciative of how you are supporting me. I am scared.

No popping, but maybe I am

No popping, but maybe I am doing it wrong. I usually do.

Keep trying Nyal.  You want

Keep trying Nyal. You want to put the pressure on the widest part of your foot. Ask Dr. Mike if I'm telling you right.

Now if you can't and a doctor can't produce that pop (and they don't find it on ultrasound), then that is a good sign. I would much rather have a stress fracture than a neuroma.

It's time to get to the doctor, Nyal. Please let me know what he/she says.

Here's an email I was

Here's an email I was reminded of today that I received over a year ago. Ben from Ted's group was wishing to help me with my neuroma problem. It may work for those of you in the early stages of a neuroma (Morton's Neuroma) problem:

> Please get a copy of Active Isolated Stretching by Aaron Mattes and do

> the Ankle-Foot protocol (pp. 76-85) morning and evening. Whenever you

> can, have an assistant do the assisted Ankle-Foot protocol with you.

> (pp. 146-158) [Active Isolated Stretching available at

> stretchingusa.com]

> Mattes reports excellent results with Morton's over his 40 years as a

> therapist and feels that surgery is usually not needed as long as a

> serious commitment to AIS stretching is first attempted.

> Feel free to contact me with any questions.

> Be well,

> Ben Fury

> Bettercise