Morton's callouses

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
So I have Morton's Toe (or Morton's Foot, whichever you prefer!) The 2nd toe AND 2nd metatarsal are both longer.

For the last few years I've had these little callouses under my 2nd toe on the top of the pad of my foot. They're almost between toes 1 & 2. From the reading I'm doing, it seems these are connected with Morton's. I think they're getting bigger since I've started BFR. Sometimes they get sore. I've got a weird running schedule this week which resulted in me running last night and this morning, and they're definitely a bit sore now. Both runs involved some hills. (most of my BF runs have been pretty flat) so I don't know if that has something to do with the extra sensitivity. They were sensitive last night too.

Is there a way to run that won't build up these callouses? I just know as I continue building distance this may be a problem. I'm wondering if I'm just going to need to go minimalist for longer runs.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Morton strikes again!Can you

Morton strikes again!

Can you take a picture to show me where they are exactly (point or draw an arrow)? I'm not getting a visual with your desciption. Maybe Jason can draw you one of his foot pictures. ;-) Some people swear by rubbing them down as a way of controlling them. I don't know if that would work for you. You would have to first determine if you have the kind of callus that can be sanded down.

In the meantime, I would suggest running just on the flats for quite a while. If you don't have problems doing so, then add a hill run in like you ran last night/this morning to see if the pain comes back. You gotta start by ruling out that which you know.

Thanks for the input,

Thanks for the input, TJ!

This article made me think my callous is linked to Morton's. Mine is not in exactly the same place, but I did some Googling and found others on Ken Bob's forum who seem to have their callouses in the same place as mine (from what I could tell with their descriptions.)

Anyway, here's a photo:

It's small, just feels like there's a hard little lump there. It's funny; I've actually treated myself for plantar warts in this area before.... Now I'm realizing it's on BOTH feet in the EXACT same place, and I think it's just callouses. But the plantar wart stuff did make the callouses go away...both the acidic stuff you put on it, and the DIY freeze off stuff. Maybe the acidic wart stuff is similar to acidic callous removers you can buy!

So you're sure you have a

So you're sure you have a second metatarsal longer than the first? I ask because your second toe seems about the same length as the first toe...NOT that that matters in determining Morton's Toe (for the viewers... MT is determined by having a second metatarsal longer than the first; problem being that more weight, force, and pressure is placed on the second toe and metarasal forcing the second toe to be the lift off point instead of the stronger big toe), but I too have a second longer toe AND metatarsal, and my second toe is much longer than my first toe, much longer than yours...not that I'm braggin' or anything. ;-) Hee. I too have a thickened area, but mine runs from the 2nd to the 4th toe. Ken Bob looked at it and said it was normal thickening, not calloused. I do have calluses at the tips of my 2nd and 3rd toes though on both feet, and I think that's just because they're so damn long, they scrape the ground as I move along. I just can't pick up my feet as much as would be needed to avoid it. They don't cause me any problems though; in fact, I've only blistered twice since getting over my "blister phase," and those blisters developed right on the very tip of my toe. I didn't even know it because the callus kept me from feeling it. I discovered it when I was scrubbing my feet in the shower. Those calluses on my toes are good for me. They protect me. Do they keep me honest, though? No. Does it matter as long as I'm not being injured by having them? No.

I'll read that article and post back soon. My curiosity is peeked. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, I just checked it out,

Okay, I just checked it out, and I'm very familiar with it as I've read it a couple of times in the past. What's funny is the picture shown also doesn't have a very long second toe...NOT that it matters to be classified with MT. I just think it's funny. I mean, you should see my toes! Crazy! Here's what Beth is referring to:

Figure 1
mortonsfigure1.gif

In the skeletal view, the X’s mark the heads of the first and second metatarsals.

You can see that the second metatarsal bone (letter A) is longer than the first metatarsal bone (letter B).

Also observe that the second toe in this case is actually a little shorter than the first toe.

The other foot in Figure 1 shows the positions of four unnaturally heavy calluses typically associated with Morton’s Foot. The heaviest one appears right under the head of the second metatarsal (letter C). The other three are found along the edge of the big toe and the edges of the heads of the first and fifth metatarsals.

Beth, did you do this test to see if you have MT? I'm guessing yes, since you read this article, right?:

Figure 2

mortonsfigure2.gif

With enough pressure, two small white spots will form on the skin over the heads of the metatarsals.

If you have a fat foot, you may not be able to see the heads of the metatarsals and will have to feel for them with the fingertips of your other hand.

Look for an extra-long web between the second and third toes that is often present in Morton’s Foot.

Don't forget to see if you have the thick callus under the second metatarsal. It may be the best single identifier of the condition.

In the picutre that TJ

In the picutre that TJ posted, if I put in excessive miles, I'll start getting very sore at spot "C" and eventually start developing a callous there. Mostly happens on the left foot.

TJ--Yes, I did the test, and

TJ--Yes, I did the test, and my 2nd metatarsals are longer. In fact on my right foot the 2nd toe is definitely longer though on the left the first two toes are about the same size.

When I next run I'll do fewer hills and see how it goes. Thanks!!

I've got to take a picture of

I've got to take a picture of my ginormous toes for you, Beth. You'll think they're hilarious.

Shacky, do you sand your calluses down after they get so bad? Do they bother you while running barefoot/minimal?

This has been the problem

This has been the problem that is killing me, in the c area. My callus was about the size of a dime, but i shaved it off down to normal. it's feeling better, but running on trails, gravel, and treadmill is working best, flat pavement makes it worse? no blisters or anything else, just that. I am lifting fast and have shortened my stride, but nothing so far is helping?

nature runner--so did you

nature runner--so did you feel like shaving it down helped?

Shacky--what do you do when those callouses form?

TJ--Oh, I totally want to see those ginormous toes. 8)

C. Beth Run. wrote:nature

C. Beth Run. said:
nature runner--so did you feel like shaving it down helped?

Shacky--what do you do when those callouses form?

TJ--Oh, I totally want to see those ginormous toes. 8)

Yea, shaving it down definetly helped some. But, it's still a problem. I am trying to run different to take pressure off that area, but then it affects other areas like my ankle or something. Nyal version of the home made orthotic is good, wears out quick but effective.

See how seriously long my

See how seriously long my second toe is in comparison to my first toe? It stands up over it. Crazy.

We need a Morton's Toe Club.

We need a Morton's Toe Club. Seriously.

Awesome, TJ--those are some

Awesome, TJ--those are some long toes to be proud of. :-D

Nyal--Are you sure everyone else wouldn't be jealous of us in the "cool" Morton's club?? ;)

Nyal wrote: We need a

Nyal said:
We need a Morton's Toe Club. Seriously.

I'm also qualified to be a member. Stupid feet. My second toes are merely the same length as my big toes, but everything else applies.

I wonder if the BFR community will have a larger-than-average percentage of us? Are shoes more difficult for us to tolerate than the "normal" feeted population? Is running more difficult for us in general?

For me personally, shoes are

For me personally, shoes are more difficult to tolerate and it is harder to run with the condition. That's basically why I go barefoot almost all of the time. At least when I walk barefoot I can feel my senses in my feet and walk correctly enough to avoid trouble. Running on hard surfaces aggravates the issue. However, if I do trails, gravel, or treadmill. I don't have that much of an issue. I have to really watch the trails though, there loaded down with copperheads?

I think I may have to join

I think I may have to join the MT club.

Do let us know once it is formed. ;)

Noting the callused areas of interest indicated on the chart and the other signs too.... I have a suspicion that I am qualified as a member. I will perform a closer inspection once I am away from work... no one has said anything, but I figure they would frown at the prospect of me doing a foot self-exam at my desk (go figure).

S. Pimp.

my callouses wear off

my callouses wear off naturally during my runs.

Shacky wrote:my callouses

Shacky said:
my callouses wear off naturally during my runs.

The runs actually caused my calluses, I didn't ever have them when I just walked barefoot? I think I have pretty good form, but then again it may still be off a little after nine months in?

Alas I am unable to confirm

Alas I am unable to confirm my eligibility as a MT club member.

Try though I might I am just unable to say with any certainty that I am one of you. I've checked the measurements and it is close... I just can't be sure. I would hate to join now only to found out (a fraud) later at one of the club meetings. It's too bad... I had designs on coming up with a secret cool new MT hand foot shake. Oh well. ;)

But seriously, my toes are long... number 2 and 3 are really long and webbed together (depending upon the angle toe 2 does look longer than 1), but it's that key measurement A vs. B that is not conclusive in my case. Also upon closer inspection my callus in region C is less developed than I would think would be normal for most MT folks. So unless future measurements and/or observations turn up something different... I probably don't have Morton's toe.

S. Pimp.