Minimalist shoes for work

sherrhod

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
I've been thinking about buying a pair of minimalist shoes that I could wear to my office. While my work environment tends to be more on the casual side, I do not think my boss would be happy to see me walking around in my VFFs. Anyone have recommendations on minimalist shoes that would work in an office environment?

Sherri

I have a pair of thong

I have a pair of thong sandals that I can get by with on some Fridays (as long as I'm not seeing customers). I generally wear a pair of loafers to work, but they do have a small heel. I'd like to do the Terra Plana Vivo Barefoot, but I can't see myself paying that much for shoes.

Sherri

Also, I tend to need wide

Also, I tend to need wide width shoes. How do minimalist shoes like Terra Plana usually run?

Sherri

The shoes run wide in the

The shoes run wide in the forefoot area and if you are between sizes I would recommend going up to the next full size for example if you are a 10.5 go with the 11. They can be pricey, but at time I purchased them I was lucky enough to find discount codes. I have been so pleased with the shoes when comes time to place them I won't mind having to pay full price if need be. Here's a write up on the Dharma's which are my favorite http://www.runningandrambling.com/2009/09/vivo-barefoot-shoe-review-and-coupon.html

Thank you for the links and

Thank you for the links and for the information. I remember seeing the Jingas reviewed recently. I want to pick up a pair of minimalist shoes for work. Now, to make the tough decision...which do I buy? I like the look of the Terra Planas. I think given how long I keep a pair of shoes, investing that much wouldn't be bad. I'll definitely be giving it some thought.

Just to toss out a

Just to toss out a non-sneakery idea, there's also something like Tom's shoes. They have a bit of cushioning in the sole, but it's pancake flat and incredibly light and thin. They are probably the most comfortable shoes I own...I bought them about a month ago and pretty much wear them nonstop if I have to wear shoes.

I'm so happy I don't have to

I'm so happy I don't have to wear shoes at work :)

was just searching for this

was just searching for this thread...trying to find my wife a pair of closed toes (requirement for work)...and I kicked myself as hard as I could in the ass when I remebered about these (what I used to wear before going BF pretty much all the time...) cheap, closed toe, as minimal as one can get really....i've never run in them, and don't really plan too (although anything is possible) but I'm going to get a pair for Melanie for work....at 3.95 a pair...you can't go wrong.

http://www.martialartssupplies.com/kungfushoes.html

kungfushoes.jpg

People like me, whose

People like me, whose halluces have returned to their natural state, would not want to wear Merrells. Also, good luck trying to press your toes to the ground while wearing them. The upper keeps the toe section of the sole in a permanent, upwards curve, for a feeling that's very un-barefoot-like.

I am getting the Merrell pure

I am getting the Merrell pure gloves for work.. but I second that they won't work for all of us.. I can do with the toe thing because of how I move and stand anyway... and the shoes I am currently wearing have toe spring as well..

I want a pair of ZEM's but am waiting on the new models to be released.. and I'm not sure I could get away with them at work when my coworkers were dress shoes with our business casual attire and funky grey labcoats...

I figure having more than one option would be nice...