Minimal shoes for Kindergarten?

sloutre

Barefooters
Aug 7, 2010
My son will start school next week and he cannot go barefoot. In fact he doesn't mind wearing shoes but I'd rather have him wear something really soft.

When the kids were little they were wearing Robeez and Bobux shoes, but I'm afraid he would get unpleasant comments from his friends if he wears something like that now. Do you know any model/brand of minimalist shoe that looks like a shoe and exist in small sizes? What do your kids wear to school?

There are converse and

There are converse and converse-like shoes that aren't built up much more than aquasocks. However, when we were looking for shoes for my son about 6 months ago, the selection for kids was pretty poor. We ended up going with a pair of Keens, which are okay, but not the minimalist ideal.

Couple of ideas.  First,

Couple of ideas. First, Terra Plana makes kids shoes. They are still kind of pricey, but not the $120+ that their adult shoes run.

Also, would he get too much crap for wearing some Softstar shoes? They are pretty minimal, but I could see a school kid getting knocked for wearing moccasins to class.

Feelmax make kid's shoes too.

Feelmax make kid's shoes too. I don't know if you can get them in the US though.

I looked at SoftStar Shoes,

I looked at SoftStar Shoes, their boots would be ok when the weather gets cold but I'm not confortable enough sending him to school with the mocassin. He will get enough crap for wearing some homemade clothe, carrying his food in a reusable metal container, not having any cartoon characters on his backpack, not having TV at home, and having a mom who runs around the neighborhood barefoot

I like the Terra Plana. They are a little over my budget but it may be worth it.

I didn't realize that Keens had some models with less heel and arch support, the Coronado models look ok.

Ideally I would like something like the Pedoodles: soft sole, flat insole, less than $50.

The Pediped seem flexible but they advertise arch supportand heel cushioning.

I'm struggling with the same

I'm struggling with the same thing for my daughter. She's in third grade and wears Mary Jany-style Crocs most of the time, but it will soon be too cold for those. We bought her some Converse sneakers last spring when the standard "athletic shoes" made her heels hurt, but now she's complaining that they squeeze her pinky toes. I don't doubt it, either, they do tend to run very narrow in the forefoot. We're going out this weekend and hope we can find something for her. I'll definitely look at Keens, because I know they run wide.

I wish I could fin Feelmax

I wish I could fin Feelmax for kids in the US. So far I've seen only adult models advertised.

I realized that BRS members can use th 15% off coupon for Terra Plana. If the coupon is still valid I may go that route since they look like really well made shoes.

We went with the Target

We went with the Target model of Converse for my daughter. Her feet are pretty narrow, but she had to have all white sneakers for her uniform, and they are working well. Last year we got her some Born Mary Janes, and they were kind of cushioned but not terribly so, and didn't have that huge arch support that the other Stride Rites have.

I have an 8 yr old son, and I

I have an 8 yr old son, and I buy converse-style sneakers at Old Navy for him. He goes barefoot as soon as he gets home and finds these the best option as far as shoes go.

We're supposed to be getting

We're supposed to be getting a new ad from Terra Plana soon. Jimmy, when will this be available?

We do converse type shoes

We do converse type shoes here too in the winter/spring and for gym, I send them off with socks and water shoes :)

Whoo-hoo!  Now that's good

Whoo-hoo! Now that's good news!