Minimal Shoe Prescription?

Barefoot Larry

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Ocean, NC
I was wearing ultraminimal shoes to work. (Jingas) and they were banned for being too minimal. I tried wearing regular sneakers (Nike Frees) but my knees and feet were starting to hurt. I bought a pair of Terrra Planas, but they were expensive. Is it possible that minimal shoes can be prescribed for insurance purposes or even a tax write off?

Sure wouldn't hurt to look

Sure wouldn't hurt to look into it Larry, perhaps Doc can write you up a prescription for a pair of Jingas ;)

If you can find a doctor who

If you can find a doctor who will state that you need the Jingas, than I'm not sure your workplace will be allowed to ban them. Or as longboard once put it, ADA trumps OSHA.

That's assuming that you don't feel that your safety board is correct, and you feel that the Jingas are safe for you to wear.

If you have a tax-free Health

If you have a tax-free Health Savings Account, I think you could make a case for using some of those funds to buy shoes. Or if you don't have an HSA but have high enough medical bills each year to write them off; you could think about including these. But I'd think you'd probably need some sort of doctor's note to document it.

I am not a CPA, of course. :) So I have no idea if this would fly if you got audited.

C. Beth Run. wrote: If you

C. Beth Run. said:
If you have a tax-free Health Savings Account, I think you could make a case for using some of those funds to buy shoes.

If it works, you have til the end of this year. After that, OTC stuff even if ordered by the doc is not HSA eligable.

Something to do with the

Something to do with the deficit.

We're all going to have to get used to it, like it or not, because next year everything will either be taxed more or cost more.

HSA/FSA contributors will see less benefit than they have become used to.

In addition,

Individual tax rates: up!

Marraige penalty: up!

Capital gains tax: up!

Alternative minimum tax: More normal hard working people than ever with big mortgages will now become snared by it.

There will be winners, but only those at the very top or very bottom of the food chain.