Minimal Dress Shoes for Women

hmduey

Barefooters
Sep 1, 2010
Hello everyone, I've been away for awhile but I'm back now...

I've got a question for all the women out there who have to wear shoes to work, or who wear minimal dress shoes to go out. I need a dressy shoe to wear to work, that's minimal. I'm changing jobs, and I could wear VFFs or moccasins at my old job, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it at the new one (plus I'm changing my style a bit and want a more girly shoe!).

I live in Florida, so sandals are OK for a good part of the year, and that's what I'll do until it gets cooler and/or wetter and I need a close-toed shoe. Right now I'm looking at pretty much the only two options I know about, the Vivo Mary Jane and the Merrell Barefoot Pure Leather Glove. The Merrells look really good for jeans but not so much for skirts/business casual wear.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice, or was wearing something else, or could give an opinion as to what would look best with skirts and dress pants.

Men, please chime in on the aesthetics of these shoes. If you're wearing them though, I don't want to know about it! :p

Thanks TJ, I forgot about

Thanks TJ, I forgot about those. I think the Kigos are a little too casual for what I want to wear to work (something about the stitching is less dressy or something).

I like Vivobarefoot's more

I like Vivobarefoot's more dressy styles. I have the Odettes (which I think were discontinued) but there are some other styles that are pretty and relatively formal. They are kinda pricey, but you can sometimes find them for less on eBay (I just bought a pair on the Clymb for like $35 a few weeks ago.)

Less expensive options are China flats (Mary Janes) but they can look a little childish with the wrong outfit ;-) I also saw on the Soft Star Shoes site that they are working on an adult Mary Jane that looks really nice.

Mamy, thanks for the

Mamy, thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely check out Soft Star and China flats!

Joseph, I wish I could be barefoot all the time (I was all summer!) but unfortunately I have to wear shoes walking the halls at work. But not at my desk! ;-)

Oh, I wear shoes, alright. 

Oh, I wear shoes, alright. For work I just have to choose betwen the new brown clunky ones or the old brown clunky ones. Or my 11 year old Tevas for my off work, but still need to have something on my feet time. I used to have a pair of sharkskin cowboy boots. I wonder where they went?

Women have 10x the amount of

Women have 10x the amount of options that men have. There's a whole category of heel-less shoes for females, called "ballet flats". Footzyrolls offers a super-flexible version of this in a multitude of colors/finishes. Good luck finding any shoes with the proper toebox shape though.

I swear by my pure gloves in

I swear by my pure gloves in black for work.. professional dress at a hospital, no issues. The colors look more casual to me. I am debating getting something different though- the flit is one of the options I am looking at.

I've been wearing and

I've been wearing and reviewing the flits here. I've worn them most of the time I've been shod for the last three weeks, including to work. They look fine, but most importantly, they are super-comfy! I barely know I am wearing shoes. The flits are mary jane style, so top of foot is somewhat exposed. I wear socks. Recommend highly.

are the flits good for

are the flits good for running too? I need shoes for winter running and for sections of my summer runs (broken concrete and chipseal are not fun to me true bare)

From Angie Bee's post on the

From Angie Bee's post on the old site: Love the Vivobarefoot Kalis!

My favorite work shoes are

My favorite work shoes are Mossimo Odell flats from Target: http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=mossimo+odell&category=0|All|matchallany|all+categories

I think maybe you have to order them and they are no longer in stores, but they completely rock, and they are cheap and flat with a wide toebox.

Thanks everyone for your

Thanks everyone for your input; I settled on the Merrells, partially because I could try them on. I like them pretty well, but I actually love the Dr. Scholl's Fast Flats that I got the best. They're holding up amazingly well despite looking pretty cheap - and they are dressier than the Merrells so I can wear them with a dress and feel like a girl. :)