Mileage reporting week 4 of 2015

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Great start to the week for me yesterday, except that I'm not sure I'll be able to run again until the weekend. This is the first week of a new added training week to our shift rotation. I might be able to get out a little earlier, but with the short days I still don't think I'll have time.

The sun was out yesterday and the temps blew through the forecasted high by several degrees. Was hoping the bike path would melt but even the rain we got the day before didn't wash all the snow away. Conditions varied from bare asphalt to ice, dense snow, and slush. It was nice to be able to go all barefoot for a change, but there were a few rough spots where the surface was frozen and very rough. I actually hurt my foot on the way back when two people and 3 dogs kind of forced me to run over some really rough frozen chunky stuff and the outer edge of my left foot hit a big lump. I've done this a few times in the last couple years so hopefully it is not a big deal, but the outer metatarsal is sore. Like it tried to flex to much from the adjacent one. Well I won't be running for a few days anyhow so hopefully a bit of rest will help. I would have gone a bit further, but I ended up getting into the stretch of path that was all deep in the woods and became 100% wet snow and ice. I made it maybe 3/4 mile in and was at my limit my toes could handle, and I didn't have any backup on me. There was a patch of ground that was bare I pulled over for a minute to stretch and let my toes thaw. Then turned around and headed back.

Miles: 10.5 (all barefoot)
Snow, ice, slush: ~5 mi
Temp: 43ºF
Feels Like: 38ºF

2015winter2.jpg
Trail kept switching between open and snow covered like in the pic above. A few tenths open, a few tenths covered. But pretty much everything was wet including the bare asphalt.

Sunday - ran the Carlsbad Marathon shod. Barefoot was not an option, not enough miles lately. Considered sandals, but again, not enough miles to build up the skin for the toe post. Shoes - Altra One v2 which I have really enjoyed running in lately. Pretty excited since my last official marathon was over 2 years ago. I figured the way my running has been going that it was time to have a go at another one. So everything went well. Original goal was sub 4, but I started adjusting down leading up to the race and adjusted down during the race. I think I paced very well and ended up with a time of 3:39:26. A new PR by 50 minutes.

Sunday - ran the Carlsbad Marathon shod. Barefoot was not an option, not enough miles lately. Considered sandals, but again, not enough miles to build up the skin for the toe post. Shoes - Altra One v2 which I have really enjoyed running in lately. Pretty excited since my last official marathon was over 2 years ago. I figured the way my running has been going that it was time to have a go at another one. So everything went well. Original goal was sub 4, but I started adjusting down leading up to the race and adjusted down during the race. I think I paced very well and ended up with a time of 3:39:26. A new PR by 50 minutes.
Nice one!

Reactions: bare_ftazn
First run of the week today, 13.5km/8.4mi, with the current temperatures always around 28C/82F, my heart has difficulties staying under 80% HRmax (for me that is around 134), even when running slowly. Running every 2 days just is enough for me to recover. Next week I may be going to Canberra, not sure I'll have time to squeeze runs while there

Week 4 already? I'm still struggling a bit and not running much, but I did have an enjoyable 6.5km on the beach yesterday morning. It was warm and humid at 6:45 am, so I finished off with a refreshing swim.

Along the way, a dog ran into me and nearly knocked me over - this big dopey black Labrador was bounding around after another dog and didn't bother to look where it was going. It ploughed into my legs from the side at full pace and barely slowed down - I'm not sure if it even realised that it had almost taken out a runner. I almost hit the deck, then laughed out loud and told the owners not to worry about it.

Been able to walk the last three days, 1-1.7 miles, rehabbing a sacroiliac injury I got 13 days ago while deadlifting without a proper warm-up in my cold garage. Felt a little something on the fourth rep, went for the fifth rep anyway. Felt like someone stabbed my butt with a knife. Why is it always funny to shoot someone in the ass in movies? It's a minor injury, but it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, so it hurts all the way down my hammies and ITB.

Massaging and stretching and three doctor visits (a Chiropractor who highly recommends stretching btw!) have really helped. Today's my first day off painkillers. Hope to be running a little again next week. The 2013 advances in running fitness seem so long ago . . .

Great Job Rick!

but it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, so it hurts all the way down my hammies and ITB.

I had sciatic nerve issues with one pregnancy that sent me into flamingo mode at the most embarrassing moments! I'd be standing in the grocery aisle, have that sharp pain, and intuitively lift my knee clear to my chin. Not an easy or necessarily pretty movement with a big belly! One time, luckily at home, I suddenly lost total function of the leg and had to lay down for a while for baby to reposition. Hope you heal up soon.

I am happy to have run 5.38 miles today. Very slowly, as I wanted to be gently on the toe. The whole foot is badly bruised, but I am thinking it might only be a really bad sprain. It didn't hurt while I ran, then only ached a little bit after I had been home on my feet a while more. That after spending quite a lot of time on my feet today! Yay! 4.72 of the miles were in Luna's, .66 barefoot, daughter running along side, another new friend about half the time. :happy:

Today went for intervals at the park, even though reasonably early morning, temp was already 29C/84F.

This had an impact on my recovery intervals, I could never get my HR down to reasonable levels (below 80% HRmax).

It took me almost an hour to cool down after. Still managed to run about 11.8km/7.3mi.

When running faster, the spring effect is a lot more efficient, I can clearly feel my lower legs naturally bouncing back much higher.

I had sciatic nerve issues with one pregnancy that sent me into flamingo mode at the most embarrassing moments! I'd be standing in the grocery aisle, have that sharp pain, and intuitively lift my knee clear to my chin. Not an easy or necessarily pretty movement with a big belly! One time, luckily at home, I suddenly lost total function of the leg and had to lay down for a while for baby to reposition. Hope you heal up soon.

I am happy to have run 5.38 miles today. Very slowly, as I wanted to be gently on the toe. The whole foot is badly bruised, but I am thinking it might only be a really bad sprain. It didn't hurt while I ran, then only ached a little bit after I had been home on my feet a while more. That after spending quite a lot of time on my feet today! Yay! 4.72 of the miles were in Luna's, .66 barefoot, daughter running along side, another new friend about half the time. :happy:
I like the flamingo image. Yeah, it makes me make funny sounds too, and then I've found the most effective stretch is to jut my butt out at an angle while bending towards the opposite side, like a freeze-frame from an exaggerated twerk by a drunk sorority girl. It ain't pretty, but it brings some relief. I've got a chair massager working a good part of the day now: http://www.homedics.com/massage/back-massagers/quad-shiatsu-massage-cushion-with-heat.html. I sit on a cushion so it works the SI joint and surrounding tissue better. That whole area is tight and the tightness travels up my back too, as everything gets out of kilter.

yes I feel easier to feel and understand the correct form when running faster, at least 12 km/h

That's one of the reasons endurance runners do sprints--to improve their running economy. And I always feel best running an aerobic pace between 8-9mm. The greater ROM feels great. This year, once I'm able to run again, I think I might take a serious stab at the speed first, distance second approach. We'll see . . .

Excellent 5 mile run at 4:30 am, 43 deg f. feels like 39, cool breeze
Still working on flow!

On Wednesday and Thursday, jogged barefoot 1.5 mi to the gym, exercised, then walked 1 mile to get home. This morning, Friday, I added another 6 mile BF jogging from home to Lake Merritt, about 1-1/3 times around, and then home. It's almost starting to feel okay with only moderate stiffness in my lower legs afterwards. I'd never thought I'd enjoy jogging or running.

Pleasant 3.5km this morning with a very light covering of frost on the path that I follow. I think my form felt better this morning -no idea why!
On the way back I could see my own footprint trail that I'd left earlier. -So at least I now know that my stride appears to be fairly even and I am clearly making contact with the ground with all of the foot...

Pleasant 3.5km this morning with a very light covering of frost on the path that I follow. I think my form felt better this morning -no idea why!
On the way back I could see my own footprint trail that I'd left earlier. -So at least I now know that my stride appears to be fairly even and I am clearly making contact with the ground with all of the foot...

I think it's so cool to see your own footprints on the ground. There isn't snow here in Oakland but when there is rain or wet ground from the morning mist, I can get a short trail of foot prints behind me. A quick turn of my head allows me to see the evidence of my passage...

I slipped in another 3.2 mile jog today just before sunrise though it was light out already. There weren't many cars on the street so I ran on the pavement for part of the jog. Surprisingly, it seemed easier in the middle of the street since I didn't have to worry about curbs and driveways. After the jog, I walked a total of another 2.25 miles to the gym, through the farmer's market, the bakery, the Verizon store, and then home. So far, I haven't worn shoes all morning!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090