Mileage Reporting week 34 of 2015

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Sunday - 30 miles (11 shod, 19 sandals). My main run was a 8.5 mile loop out on the country roads about half gravel and half pavement, nice and quiet on Sunday mornings. Continuous run, pretty even pace. I'm guessing 8:30 minute miles. Then, inspired by Bare_ftazen, the way he logs errand miles, I kept my running shorts on all day. I was flood irrigating a field about 1.5 miles from my house and I would run there to make a change and then run home to do garden work, etc. Also ran down to my Aunt's house to raid beans from her garden and ran to the shop to do some repairs. Roughly totaled and added each trip and came up with 30 miles for the day.

Probably ought to explain to some of the new guys why I still post here even though my mileage is mostly shod. I have been running barefoot for 4.5 years now. Been on the forum for 4 years. Pretty religious about being barefoot in year 2. I started having problems and found variety works better for me. I was denying myself what I liked, rugged mountain trails and Ultra distances. Started wearing shoes for running, but I still try to "live" barefoot. Really enjoy the group and try to stay active around here. Think I can offer a few tips through my trials and many errors. Thanks.

Rick, how flattering it is that anyone could be inspired by me? However, I would say Happysongbird provides a nice timeline for her adventures. It is also a fact that all of the folks at BRS inspire me. But even so, you shouldn't encourage me.

I have been a bit obsessed with being barefoot during weekends over the past few months. It has been fun and feels good. Even so, I doubt I could get to 30 miles on any given day with shoes, sandals or barefoot!! Yes, it did sound like you had a fun Sunday.

Chris, I love New York. But I agree that a NY summer can be oppressive though it would be fun to run Central Park barefoot early in the morning.

Since I already reported on my Sunday's run in the week 33 thread, I can start this week's entry with 5.0 miles. Over the past eight days, I have done some barefoot running every day: two of the days where I've done 7 miles and three of days over 5 miles. This is quite abnormal for me! There wasn't any barefoot walking today since it was a workday but I did rack up 3.6 miles walking to the carpool station en-route to work, then to the office on the other end, to the train to a dental appointment, to the dentist's office, and then to the the bus on my way home afterwards. No wonder I was starving by dinner time.

Rick, how flattering it is that anyone could be inspired by me? However, I would say Happysongbird provides a nice timeline for her adventures. It is also a fact that all of the folks at BRS inspire me. But even so, you shouldn't encourage me.

Thanks for the kind words! I, too, find everyone's postings encouraging, and sometimes cautionary.:eek: Yikes!

Monday, I ran 12.1 miles around my pond loop, barefoot as usual. I was really trying relax, but stay light in step, which I did well, I think. I did allow myself a bit more speed (comparatively for me, and still within the range of aerobic breathing) the last two miles, which is nice to see that I can do after that distance. Then, between making bread and helping to paint the house, I was on my feet constantly until about 4:30. At that a power nap was in order so that I would survive the evening!

Tuesday, I hit the spin bike for 60 minutes before Super Toddler arrived for the day (just a once a week visit). I'm already torn about whether to swim or nap when she naps this afternoon. :p But, I can probably get in a swim one way or another, .... unless I am drafted into helping with the painting again. For now, I'm pretty sure I need a snack before trying to get some other chores done while keeping an eye on her.

Nice 8 mile run on Sunday
5 miles his morning at 4:45 81 deg. f. 62 % Rh. smooth.
Still hearing owls and spotting rabbits.
Flow seems to be working good for me!

Feet good
Legs good

Knowing how humid it has been for the last several days I was preparing to ride a Citibike home tonight but, when I got outside, it was almost autumnal so I changed my mind and ran. Expecting to do the shorter, 4.5 mile route, I was still having a great time when I got to the split and ran my longer, 7 mile, route.
Heaven! Unexpected bliss. Magic!

A frog just showed up in my swimming pool, but I swam yesterday anyway. It does leave me wondering if I will be getting tadpoles...

Today's Wednesday AM run, my stamina seems to have kicked up a notch. I was running comfortably and was surprised to glance at my watch for a mileage check and find I was running nearly a minute faster than I usually do for my first mile. This in spite of a lot of smoke in the air from the local range fires (our area has been on national news). It ended up not being my faster 10k ever, but definitely my most comfortable at a relatively fast pace. Very fun!

I will post an interesting encounter in the People's Reactions thread.

Reactions: Tedlet and DNEchris
Thursday nice 5 mile 68 deg f.. At mile 3 it started to pour rain (and I liked it after the warm summer temps).It rained all the last 2 miles.

8 mile run this morning back to 82 deg f. 65% rh.
At mile 5 I heard an owl crying out. mile 6 I spotted something on the telephone wire up ahead. I was able to unleash my mini flashlight and got a great view of one of the screech owls. As I ran by it turned its head to keep an eye on me (I thought it was cool:wacky: ).

Feet still good
Legs good

To finish the week's reporting: Tue - 2.3 mi / Wed - 5.7 mi / Thu - 2.1 mi / Sat - 7.1 mi / Sun - today - 5.4 mi
With Monday's run I had a total of 27.7 mi barefoot! A bit less than last weeks 30.3 miles. I was crazy enough to consider going for a second run to get above 30 for the week.

Today's run was different because it was on the hilly and windy road north of Santa Rosa CA along Riebli Road. The pavement was rough and a bit sharp. I had to run because walking would have been painful. It was early enough that there were very few cars along the two lane road but still nerve racking when a car came by. The shoulder was dubious with all manner of brush and debris. A few cars drove by with the driver staring at my bare feet rather than watching the road ahead of them! There weren't any accidents!! For me, it was a beautiful barefoot excursion past small vineyards and family farms.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS