Mileage reporting week 2 of 2015

Reactions: skedaddle
Well after 3 nasty days where -10 to -25F (with wind chill) was seen each day, all the sudden we had a nice 30 degree day with fairly calm wind! But the roads were a mess. Wet snow, slush. I figured there would be more snow on the bike trail, but probably better than slush. I preheated the feet and went out. Snow was about 3-4" deep, and fluffy loose and stuck right to my feet/toes and instantly became wet snow. Within a half mile I decided that I better put on my shoes or face frostbite. :( Feet warmed up right away in my Dash shoes but it was a slippery and gait killing mess of a run. Feet kept sliding around and shooring out from under me! I was debating turning back when I hit the major road crossing at about 2 miles, but I noticed the open stretch on the other side of the state route was bare asphalt. The wind probably cleaned most of the snow off, and the sunny day prior might have melted the rest. I decided to continue on, and discarded the shoes after I crossed the road. The bare stretch was almost 3/4 mile long, and I decided just to repeat that stretch back and forth a few times. For fun, I continued into the wooded snow filled section .15 miles each time, and racked up about a mile of barefoot in the snow plus the first 1/2 mile I did barefoot. That deep loose and wet snow really is quite a challenge. .3 would nearly get me to frostbite each time, but they would warm back up on the open stretch.

8.2mi today, and 16.8 for the week.

IMG_20150111_221122.jpg

Right at freezing with some wind.

13.5 on the roads locally. First 7.5 barefooted. I figured my soles weren't prepared for too much - so I slipped on the Merrell Road Gloves. Good thing too. As soon as I took back off - it started raining, and turning to slush. The last 6 was a shoe-wearing drudgery; but I had to get some miles in. I forget how beat up I feel when I run on the roads in shoes - even minshoes.

Reactions: happysongbird
Plastic or leather boots? :p

Hi Chris. This set up was a leather double boot (heavy for hiking, but great control on the downhill) with a 3 pin binding mounted on a straight downhill ski from the 90's. Before the shaped ski movement of the 2000's (terrible for telemark turns) and the gigantic wide skis of the 2010's (again, not suitable for telemarking). Not counting the climbing skins, I put the setup together for less than $100.

Nice runs and climbs Rick!

Thanks Steve. I hope you had a great Ultra. I'll be down in So. Cal. for the Carlsbad marathon next weekend. If you want to do an easy run on the beach Fri. or Sat. send me a PM. Ill try to get in touch with another bf runner in the area to see if he wants to run also.

Finished my week with 20 miles of shod trail running. Was with two friends that are much faster than me. Was able to keep up. It was fun to break out of the comfort zone.

3.7km this morning, as I add a little extra 'transitioning' distance each time I run. Changed my route slightly to try a more challenging surface (sort of gravelly path mixture, as opposed to the fairly smooth tarmac that I usually run on) -the feet certainly felt the effect of that decision!
I can see a personal target of a park-run (5k) somewhere in the not too distant future now I hope...