Mileage Reporting 9th Week of 2013

I'm on the right week and you-----re noooo--oooot.
2.5 in my huaraches, slushier roads. Easy pace. Calves tight (too lazy to roll and the mileage doesn't seem to warrant it), but that's sort of like an old friend. been ages since i was so lucky to have a tight calf muscle.
Heading to swim in a bit, fun swim with my girl but may throw in some laps with her as well. We watched backstroke videos during hair time and are going to try to do it like Lochte. Riiiiight.

Some laps, some dives, some goofing off with my little lady. A few of the drills and half a lap backstroke (kept running into the side of the lane oops), several times kickign across with the kickboard and my daughter. Tried the breaststroke kick one more time. dont get it. who invented it.
Pool is closed for 3 days for maintenance. Will have to find a new addiction like, say, running or something. Nah, that would be crazy

3.36 mi walk, but it was BF. Working through a tweaked glute/upper quad muscle thing. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't - not sure what's up with that. I'm wondering if my foray into longboarding last week was a bit TMTS as I'm only getting this on the right side...or it can be completely unrelated.

At the suggestion of a friend, I got a foam roller. For $30. $30 for a cylinder of foam. $30. Foam. Before I bought this one I was at target and found one for $25 and I thought "Screw them - I'm not going to pay $25 for round designer foam" (it was green and was pimped out with an imprint of a pot leaf on the ends, or something like that). So I went to Sports Authority and determined that, no - I'm not going to pay $25 for round designer foam; I'm going to pay $30 for round designer foam. Indeed.

At the suggestion of a friend, I got a foam roller. For $30. $30 for a cylinder of foam. $30. Foam. Before I bought this one I was at target and found one for $25 and I thought "Screw them - I'm not going to pay $25 for round designer foam" (it was green and was pimped out with an imprint of a pot leaf on the ends, or something like that). So I went to Sports Authority and determined that, no - I'm not going to pay $25 for round designer foam; I'm going to pay $30 for round designer foam. Indeed.
Well, you're on the cheap side, I think I payed mine around 40$ (australian, which is about 42$US):mad:...Having said that it is really worth it, I roll my calves and groin every time I go for a run, and it helps me keep control of some strains...

Reactions: Sid
This week I could not run as fast as I would like, but I could run 43 miles rhythm, the feeling was good and this week I get to train with head and it's there Pola Half Marathon will run with VFF. Let´s go ¡¡¡

I'm on the right week and you-----re noooo--oooot.
2.5 in my huaraches, slushier roads. Easy pace. Calves tight (too lazy to roll and the mileage doesn't seem to warrant it), but that's sort of like an old friend. been ages since i was so lucky to have a tight calf muscle.
Heading to swim in a bit, fun swim with my girl but may throw in some laps with her as well. We watched backstroke videos during hair time and are going to try to do it like Lochte. Riiiiight.
Just as predicted, I wondered how your ankle was doing yesterday. Sounds like you're on the road to recovery. Great to hear!

Sunday afternoon
7.8 mi / 12.55 km
31 F / -.5 C
26 F / -3.3 C windchill
all bare baby

We got snow Friday night/Saturday morning, but by Sunday afternoon that one fairgrounds street that usually dries up first was already close to completely dry. Just a few wet patches where melting snow runoff was crossing the street. So back and forth I went, about a half mile each way. Twice I ran a bit farther, into some slushy sections, but my feet immediately started to numb up a bit from that, so I stuck to the shorter version of my back-n-forth route. The calf that cramped up a few weeks ago started to feel a bit tight after several miles, so I stopped to stretch once as a precaution, but otherwise I was able to run continuously the whole time. I kept waiting for one of my ITBs to tighten or strain, but they stayed good. What a relief! It felt incredibly good to run a decent distance bare and without incident again.

bare and without incident, I guess that'll be my mantra for the next few weeks.

Towards the end my feet started to numb up a bit, but seems like my subfreezing tolerance is coming back nicely. My calluses haven't completely reformed, but I guess they're in good enough shape to take it. It's kind of ironic that just as I find a really good minimalist-minimalist shoe (Merrell's Vapor Gloves), I'm finally able to run mostly barefoot-barefoot again.

Overall pace was slow, about 10mm, but I did get in a few sub-9mm fartleks about three quarters of the way in. If I continue to be able to run without incident, I'll probably try some faster paces in in a week or two. But I think for the time being I'll focus on adding a mile a week to my longest run, and run my other two weekly runs at the same easy pace. I'm trying to limit myself to only working on one aspect of my running at a time. Trying not to be greedy and want it all all at once.

I had to blow off my st workout & micro-run Friday, to get ready for a friend coming over for dinner, so the micro-run streak died at three weeks exactly. I'm going to consult Guinness and see if I can at least get some kind of mention for running at least a little 21 days straight. I know someone has probably run a marathon 21 days straight, and others have run a mile a day for over forty years, but I think there should still be some room in this postmodern world to appreciate a little pre-modernist, classic understatement.

Saturday I blew off my micro run again. So guess from here on out I'll just try to get them in when I can. The time off may have helped my MCL. By Sunday's meso-run it didn't feel the least bit sore.

I'm not going to pay $25 for round designer foam; I'm going to pay $30 for round designer foam. Indeed.

Lol... Shoulda gone to the hardware store and paid five bucks for a length of pvc drain pipe

Lol... Shoulda gone to the hardware store and paid five bucks for a length of pvc drain pipe

That sound you just heard was my smacking myself in the forehead :)

Dreading going to the PT tonight... Looking forward to running but scared of the astym treatment. My shin is still bruised and quite painful with the slightest bit of contact, this insures that tonight is going to really really really suck if he does the astym treatment again...

30min swim lesson on Sun. Instructor said that we'd be learning the breaststroke and indicated that there were four steps. She proceeded to demonstrate, all the while talking, even when underwater. I didn't quite get all of the steps, especially the 2 or 3 she did underwater. We spent only a few minutes on it, and then a lane opened up, where she had me do the freestyle and backstroke. Fortunately, I found another youtube video.

I also came across this video. I particularly like the part where the walrus demonstrates proper technique for crunches at 16 seconds in.

I thought about running today, but then thought the better of it. Rest day today.

workout in tidbits today. some time in the morning, doing some stuff, st, weights, push ups, stuff.
was heading for my workout when a student came asking questions about stats stuff, so that left me only about 35 minutes to be at the gym, where i nearly died of boredom after 10 min on elliptical, switched to treadmill for 5 minutes of blech, then did some more weights and by that time it was over.

before dinner i got
2.5 sunset run around, sandals, muddy dirt road and wet pavement. a few more squats.
so i guess all in all it became one full workout, just spread way over a day.

30min swim lesson on Sun. Instructor said that we'd be learning the breaststroke and indicated that there were four steps. She proceeded to demonstrate, all the while talking, even when underwater. I didn't quite get all of the steps, especially the 2 or 3 she did underwater. We spent only a few minutes on it, and then a lane opened up, where she had me do the freestyle and backstroke. Fortunately, I found another youtube video.

Seriously, that one's going to be tough. Just the kicking. let alone coordinating the 4 steps. Video. Yeah. still. easier to watch than do.
It's a slow one too. Who invented this stroke? Makes me want to think up a new one. Isn't it time for a new one?
And yes, I was impressed that after expressing my utter confusion at the whole endeavor at the pool yesterday, my 9 yr old daughter proceeded to do one full out and back lap with the breast stroke, proper breathing as well, declaring how easy it was. Kids.

So here it is about 6 hours after I ran my longest run in probably a month or two and I feel the best I have felt in a long time, other than the muscle pain from just being out of shape. I am able to walk around with very minor pain in my foot! Holy cow, I might actually get past this injury finally! The astym thingy the PT did on my foot hurt but felt so good and now I feel great. He did say I was making progress really fast, although at the time I looked at him funny when he said that because it doesn't feel like I am making very much progress. Fingers and toes are still crossed!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test