Mileage reporting 8th week 2014

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
Really, someone else should have started this already this late in the day! Or am I confused?

Sunday, I did get in my 90 minutes on the spin bike. Felt good.
Today, I swam a solid 30 minutes with the overhead cover to my swimming pool pulled back to let the warm sunshine in! Was able to relax into my stroke, but there is still nothing quite like swimming to work on controlled breathing.

Lunch time run with the work guys, first time on bitumen for a while. Ended up doing 10.5km at a relaxed pace. Lovely day, but a little hot to be running at lunch time. Five of us ran in a group, and they dropped off one by one as the run went on until there were two of us left, but unfortunately by that stage the route was into the horror chipseal in Eastern Park and I suffered a bit for it. The bitumen was getting pretty hot on the way back too - I've got that slightly scuffed, slightly burned feeling that probably won't be a blister, but it stings a tiny bit when I walk.

All good though, rest day tomorrow.

Got 3.2 miles in wearing Xeros and toe socks last evening.

Snowed again overnight, thankfully just a couple of inches and there might be sun and temps in the 40s this afternoon. We're supposed to get a warmup through Sunday, just have to hope some there isn't any heavy rain during it which could cause flooding issues.

After Sunday it gets cold again. And knowing this winter and the way the pattern's been, that probably means more snow and ice to come. :(

9 miles barefoot, temps mid 50'sF. I wore shorts and t-shirt, which was fine until I turned to face the wind. Brrr after that! Then it started an icy drizzle on me. But I am very pleased with how I felt the whole time and when I was done. I kept it all comfortable and stopped without pushing myself to go so far that I was dragging.

5 happy miles at 4:45 am. 48 deg. f.. Saw some rabbits this morning.
calm weather very nice!

5.3 easy miles after work yesterday. I ran in shorts. Just 2 shirts. Just the Xeros, no socks. Log showed that I hadn't run consecutive Mondays and Tuesdays since early December.

For a bit I was running some toward the setting sun, and the snow-covered fields to both sides looked rather bluish. Then I got turned around and chased my shadow for a few minutes.

Sun: Deadlifts. Was going to jump up 50lbs from what I have been doing recently, but then my son came into the garage, and it became impossible to concentrate.

Mon: Box Jumps, some mobility stuff and incline sit-ups, two 1-mile shod run-commutes. Shoveled snow when I got home. We got nearly five inches of snow, but efficient plowing and highs near or above freezing removed most of it from the streets fairly quickly.

Tues am: one 1-mile bare run-commute, 21F / 16F windchill.

Tues pm: 5 bare miles up in the fairgrounds, 39F/32F windchill. Then bench press, flies, and biceps curls. Did 5 reps at 20 lbs below my max, felt good, so next week definitely going to do my max bench.

Wed am: 2.5 mi bare run-commute, extended to reach a UPS drop-box.

Wed pm: 11-mile run down to the river, once again 39F/32F windchill, but two miles total were walking breaks in my Sockwa G4s when the slush and my lack of conditioning got to me. So about nine miles bare running. Was supposed to do my rows when I got back, but I was pooped and instead cleared residual plow-off snow in front of our driveway with the snow-blower, in preparation for today's forecast storm. I gave in to the convenience of a small-motor device to save my left shoulder from lifting heavy snow.

Man, I'm really out shape. This morning my legs are really stiff, but I managed a bare 1-mile run-commute just now nonetheless, 34F /23F windchill, over dry pavement, smooth ice, and some crusty slush.

Today we're supposed to get a boatload of snow--6-12 inches--with a high once again up around 39F, then it's going to get below-average cold again for a week to 10 days. That's why I got in back-to-back bare runs on Tuesday and Wednesday during this sneak-preview of spring. Will probably use the snow-blower again tomorrow to save my left shoulder from getting sore. Feeling wimpy.

I'm happy to report that I've kept my calluses more or less intact over the winter, and after the first week of March conditions should be bareable for at least half the time, so I'm feeling home-free and celebrating a little bit inside. I made it through one of our colder winters without losing my calluses. Yippee! Still, I really hate running up in the fairgrounds, back and forth, back and forth, or around my little loop by the bus stop. I don't think I'll do it again next year. It was so nice to do another proper out-n-back route down to the river yesterday, it's worth doing them shod if need be, me thinks.

Rest of the week: more weights, plyometrics, and run-commutes--should total up to around 22.5 miles or so running, 18.5 bare.