Mileage Reporting 7th Week of 2013

5.18 in 58:58

might be a lot of walking...

Think of it as MAF training. :smug: When I do a half Mary, there is usually a little walking going on for the water stations. A buddy of mine joined a running group to help him train for his first half mary, and that is how they trained and ran their half. They used walking breaks at designated times, he ran a 1 hour 50 min. half mary at the age of 52. There is no shame in taking walking breaks.

Reactions: Bare Lee
6.25 miles of hubby leading me in pseudo trail run. I don't know how he can never take me more than 1.25 miles from home, but find all that mud, all those deep grassy fields, and big rocks for that long of a run. He does and he is proud of himself. :cool: He does get lots of points for charging down the few large loose dogs. :rage: I had fun, but I felt kind of old. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up the pace next week, since I'm about 95% better now.

Am trying to make myself actually sign up for the half marathon today. It's scarier since I've been sick. :wideeyed:

11.2km (7mi) back at normal pace, my calf still slightly painful, but I managed to control it...This seems to work for me, running with some level of pain, allowing me to correct whatever caused me the injury, anyone else does that too ?

Think of it as MAF training. :smug: When I do a half Mary, there is usually a little walking going on for the water stations. A buddy of mine joined a running group to help him train for his first half mary, and that is how they trained and ran their half. They used walking breaks at designated times, he ran a 1 hour 50 min. half mary at the age of 52. There is no shame in taking walking breaks.

Well, here's the thing: I'm wanting to do this barefoot, but looking at where I'm at in the training vs the race date logic is telling me that maybe my next 1/2 mary should be barefoot and this one should be shod (or at least partially so), lest I engage in some serious TMTS and screw things up royally...

Half (min I hope) shod, and half bare, for your first will be good, a little insurance never hurts anyone. You will actually be surprised at how much your bare feet can take. If you can get to a bare 10 miler before your half you will be able to do the half bare. By running min shod you are actually conditioning the strength of your feet already, your barefoot running is also conditioning the soles of your feet. If you can keep your miles bare, you just might surprise yourself. ;)

11.2km (7mi) back at normal pace, my calf still slightly painful, but I managed to control it...This seems to work for me, running with some level of pain, allowing me to correct whatever caused me the injury, anyone else does that too ?
Funny, I was thinking along the same lines myself. I've had so many niggles these last six months, that I think I've gained some insight into them, and can negotiate them to some extent, without having to resort to pure rest.

Yesterday, a case in point. I was putting some cheap bookshelves together, and got down on one knee to work on it, and somehow aggravated my MCL tweak of many months ago, which was aggravated a few weeks ago by doing a kneeling stretch, and possibly aggravated a few days ago when I fell on it while trying to keep my daughter from tumbling down off my shoulders. Today it kinda hurt, but instead of taking the day off, I did a lite version of my lower body strength training workout and ran around the block. I feel like I kinda know now what I can work through and how to work through it, rather than having to err on the side of caution and shutting things down completely. Plus, having a bottle of Zinfandel over a dinner out with the family while taking advantage of a Christmas gift card really helps. Tomorrow, hopefully, I can do a nice slow long run.
RUNNING OCCURRED:
1.5 miles around the block, softstars, ankle deep snow or more. Lake effect. Several inches on the ground several inches comin down.
Ankle feels a little stiff? Dunno. Evaluate tomorrow.
It's great to know running occured, but without any fixed temporal reference, it's hard to know what to make of it. Is your ankle OK now? Three weeks from now? Six months ago? When you say tomorrow, can we take today as the deictic origo? Or was tomorrow a yesterday of three days from four days ago?

Reactions: scedastic
Half (min I hope) shod, and half bare, for your first will be good, a little insurance never hurts anyone. You will actually be surprised at how much your bare feet can take. If you can get to a bare 10 miler before your half you will be able to do the half bare. By running min shod you are actually conditioning the strength of your feet already, your barefoot running is also conditioning the soles of your feet. If you can keep your miles bare, you just might surprise yourself. ;)

That's what I was thinking - 1/2 minshod, 1/2 STG. Now, the question is: Huaraches (Invisible shoes) or an actual "shoe"...so many decisions! I miss the days when the only thing I had to worry about was whether I wanted fries with that...

That's what I was thinking - 1/2 minshod, 1/2 STG. Now, the question is: Huaraches (Invisible shoes) or an actual "shoe"...so many decisions! I miss the days when the only thing I had to worry about was whether I wanted fries with that...
Stick with what ever is on your feet now, unless you have about 3 months to get the feet used to different (gasp) shoes. Feet do not respond rapidly to varying of feel and stack heights.

Low key day, today - visited the San Francisco Zen Center to work on some meditation (I went there about this time last year, remembered that I felt nice and calm afterwards, so I thought I try to get back into it again). This afternoon, dinked around for about 15-20 minutes on this cheapy longboard that I bought a couple of years ago. I need some practice with this thing...

Saturday and today were 2 days of micro runs. Someone at work played a prank on me and that left me with a very tender back. They doctored my my office chair so that it would go straight down as soon as I sat in it. Funny to them but not me :rage:. Yesterday morning about 1/2 mile into the run I slipped a little trying to avoid a car, that was enough to set my lower back off again. Bob in his quest for his first ultra of the year must be leapfrogging drifts as the winds have picked quite a bit since Saturday afternoon. I was having to negotiate 1 foot drifts on the sidewalks this morning so I only imagine what it is like on the open plains. Good news about the wind is that it is a helping wind. :joyful:. Go Bob Go.

Saturday and today were 2 days of micro runs. Someone at work played a prank on me and that left me with a very tender back. They doctored my my office chair so that it would go straight down as soon as I sat in it. Funny to them but not me :rage:. Yesterday morning about 1/2 mile into the run I slipped a little trying to avoid a car, that was enough to set my lower back off again. Bob in his quest for his first ultra of the year must be leapfrogging drifts as the winds have picked quite a bit since Saturday afternoon. I was having to negotiate 1 foot drifts on the sidewalks this morning so I only imagine what it is like on the open plains. Good news about the wind is that it is a helping wind. :joyful:. Go Bob Go.
Very sorry to hear about the prank. Hopefully, they are sorry for the trouble they caused?

It's too bad there are certain kinds of violence for which reciprocal violence is socially taboo. I mean, logically, you should be able to kick out your co-workers' legs from under him as an equivalent prankish gesture, right? Or I wonder if he would find it funny if you loosened the lug nuts on his car's front wheels. As long as the ensuing accident wasn't fatal it would be a good prank. Does the joker even realize he could've caused you permanent back injury?

It's too bad there are certain kinds of violence for which reciprocal violence is socially taboo. I mean, logically, you should be able to kick out your co-workers' legs from under him as an equivalent prankish gesture, right? Or I wonder if he would find it funny if you loosed the lug nuts on his car's front wheels. As long as the ensuing accident wasn't fatal it would be a good prank. Does the joker even realize he could've caused you permanent back injury?
If it stays sore I will go off on Compo and let the people at work deal with the culprit whoever it might be. I will keep up with the running, and stop just before the discomfort becomes pain. I am stretching and putting the heat to it on a frequent rate, so I hope this will be okay shortly.

Someone at work played a prank on me ....

Bob in his quest for his first ultra of the year must be leapfrogging drifts

Oh man, that sux about your back. How bad is it?

And I didn't realize this is Bob's first ultra. He picked a good one!

Doggie and I did a relatively relaxed 22km, 400m climb, 2:25. Felt good at the end, wouldn't have balked at turning around and doing it again. That's a good sign!

Was again sockless in my Breathos, have had a sore spot on the ball of my left foot that got pretty sore today. It's not an indictment of the shoes; I just run through a lot of slop stuff and get grit in there. Anyway, had a nice surprise when I took them off. See pic.

Also, I HAD to get a(nother) pic of Leni in her post-mucky-mountain-running glow :)

uploadfromtaptalk1361115283702.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1361115309835.jpg

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS