Mileage Reporting 53rd Week of 2012

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
2 miles / 3 km., shod. 11F / -11 C, 2 F / -19 C windchill

I had close to all my new kit on today, including my new Pearl Izumi "soft shell" jacket. I felt faintly ridiculous, kind of like I was getting suited up to play a game, especially with the knee braces and ITB straps on, and the cleat-like feeling of the lugs on my new Neo Trails, but I guess I'll get used to it. It definitely kept me warm and relatively dry. All that's left is the REI winter pants due next week. Thanks again to Sid and everyone else who guided me through my buying decisions.

My frost-nipped toes felt just fine inside the socks and shoes, so that's no longer a concern, but I kept the run short just to be sure. The Neo Trails provided good traction on the compacted snow, but were somewhat annoying on the dry concrete and asphalt. I could feel the lugs on the ball of my foot a bit. This was my first run in proper running shoes in about two years. It felt fine; I didn't notice any changes in my form, such as it is.

My pace was only 10 seconds slower than two weeks ago, before I got this lingering head cold, so that's promising, although I did feel my right ITB strain at the knee a bit, which isn't so promising. I haven't been rolling, stretching, or massaging this whole time off, so I'll have to get back on it.

Yesterday I did lite ST on the shoulders and lats, tomorrow I'll do my chest and upper arm ST. I still feel a little weak from the long illness, but hopefully I'll be able to start off the new year with a semi-decent fartlek run.

Happy New Years fellow mileage clubbies!

9.1 mi trail. Saw several folks riding their horses along the road. Apparently, they parked at the preserve, and they got back just as I was starting my run. One fella dressed in fall attire asked me if I was going to be cold. I was wearing comp shorts, a long-sleeve shirt, and gloves. I said it wouldn't be a problem once I warmed up. He asked if I was hiking, and I replied that I was running. Then I took off barefoot!

Actually, it was windy, and probably was cold if one was sitting up on a horse. There's plenty of brush along the trail, so that blocked some of the wind for me. I was warm enough, that after a mile, I took off my long sleeve shirt and tied it around my waist and just had my thin tech T-shirt. A nice run overall.

Fairly uneventful other than the horses. A few new horse apples to dodge, and their hooves tore up the trail a bit. Hadn't been that close to one in a while, and the whinnying surprised me a bit. (Those sound effects on tv just don't do them justice.)

I had close to all my new kit on today, including my new Pearl Izumi "soft shell" jacket. I felt faintly ridiculous, kind of like I was getting suited up to play a game, especially with the knee braces and ITB straps on, and the cleat-like feeling of the lugs on my new Neo Trails, but I guess I'll get used to it.
No worries, you're just a blur to everyone else!
I haven't been rolling, stretching, or massaging this whole time off, so I'll have to get back on it.
Same here. I got lazy, and I've been a bit tight. Need to get back using the heated massager.

5 miles, 24F, windchill less, but I don't know how much less. About an inch of snow hard packed or a bit slushy in the road.
On the way back, wind was in my face and my nose started a-burnin with the cold. Feet were fine in huaraches and thin injinjis in the snow, but that last mile about did my poor little snout no good. Next time Ill take along an extra one of my head band thingies. Thin layer of fabric might have been enough.

Gym today - 10 min cardio warm up (Rowing machine) and about 25 to 30 mins of kettlebells.

The past month of birthday, holidays and travel has taken a bit of toll on The Pirate (such to the point he's referring to himself in the Third Person)...working on getting a rolling start on the New Year...

Now - since when did years have 53 weeks?

Seems a shame not to post something on the 53rd week of the year! Today I napped, played my flute, and watched Live Free and Die Hard (while playing on my iPad), because I'm resting for hours of dancing barefoot in a friends garage tomorrow night!

Finished the year with a 6 mile trail hike. Took some time to find a trail that was out of the snow. Pretty technical trail, lots of rocks, but not sharp. Impossible to run on but was a good one to end the year on. Going to take a few days off. I have some heel pain and noticed a bruise on the side of my foot. I am going to blame it on the skiing the day before, not on the running.

Happy New Year everyone!

Six mi. on Sunday, minimal helped my friend complete 2012 total miles (him not me). Three mi. today BF on dreadmill. Yearly total 1570 of which 1069 were BF.
Happy New Year to all!:)

s-exercise.png

Finished off the year with a 4 mile run with my running partner. A nippy -28 degrees with the WC, glad I had my new Northface neck warmer thingy. Looking forward to a new year of adventures and stories to last a life time.

Happy New Year Everybody.

4 miles, then some fun swim with the kids. No ST today. Went to the running gear store today and traded in some ill-fitted Christmas gifts for a sweet winter form-fitted running hoodie in raspberry pink, and another pair of injinji socks.
Happy almost new year everyone.

Raspberry Pink, that should deflect some eyes from the feet, at least it would from me, it would clash with my blonde hair ;)

Starting off the New Year on a big note, ran the Polar Bare (Frosty Nipple) Run this morning. A quick, very quick, loop around the formal gardens in Winnipeg. I was sporting my KittyK original and nothing else (well a hat and pair of gloves were there too). It was a lovely sprint with 40 or so of the locals at a balmy -26 degrees with the WC.

a little over 5 miles, 4.4 of which was the "one-one" run at one pm around a pretty park surrounding a lake just east of the college town where I attend.
Not a race (not timed) but fun. Temps were low 20sF. I wore my socks and sandals (and tights and a long sleeve and such, bob you crazy) and averaged a little over 9 min/mile (which is really good for my usually pokey self, and considering there were 1800 people at the start making me walk the first ~1/3 mile)
The kids did a single loop with my husband at 2.2 miles.
I was dressed just right for a run, but cooled down way too quickly at the finish, so ran back to the car.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11