Mileage Reporting 52nd Week of 2012

Not sure where we will be at, probably the turn around then at the finish. The ladies my wife is running with are not runners so I expect they will be going fairly slow. Will definitely be looking for you at the end.

Just finished the last run of the year for me. Ran 2.18 miles at an avg 9:24 min/mile pace. I tried to keep it as steady paced as I could but the first mile was downhill and the second was back up that hill so I lost about 30 seconds is all on the way up. I had planned on running in my vff speeds but my blister said no way in hell. Even with Injinji socks and a huge bandaid on my blister said no way, the shoe was just too close tight (not really tight, just close to the skin I guess) so I had to put on a minshoe that has a wider midfoot that didn't touch my blister. I also did some ST (shoulders and biceps) for about an hour in the gym after my run. I was shocked when I got home and took of the minshoes to find I had a bloody sock thanks to the blister (it had burst the other day when it formed) despite being covered with a bandaid that appeared to not have moved at all from how I had applied it an hour and a half earlier.

Tomorrow morning getting up about 5am to go to the final Seahawks game of the season up in Seattle tomorrow and then going to spend the night there and come back home Monday afternoon. Will be nice to have a date day/night with the wife as my inlaws are watching our son overnight! We already know a seafood restaurant we are going to for dinner after the game that we saw on Man vs Food. It looks so incredibly good and I can't wait to make myself sick from eating too much seafood! :D

I had a most exciting (in a good way) 5K race this morning. Surprised myself with my pace. :D My garmin disagreed with the markings, but the race directors double checked the distance carefully, so it is a bit of a mystery. Either way, my pace was either 7:30 mm or 7:55 mm. I'm ecstatic about either! So fun! I'll write more of a story about it on my blog, because that's what I do. :)

I had a most exciting (in a good way) 5K race this morning. Surprised myself with my pace. :D My garmin disagreed with the markings, but the race directors double checked the distance carefully, so it is a bit of a mystery. Either way, my pace was either 7:30 mm or 7:55 mm. I'm ecstatic about either! So fun! I'll write more of a story about it on my blog, because that's what I do. :)

That is awesome, whether it is a 23:15 or a 24:32 for a 5 km that is a great time. Congrats, and you do not need to answer my querry on Facebook now. :D

Reactions: happysongbird
Wow, nice time Laura! Looking forward to the write-up.

4 mi in the light pretty snow, soft stars, still queasy belly, had to stop a few times when it got goofy.
1.5 mi with the kids, cuz the queasy wasn't so bad after a while, had to stop once for kids whining ("i thought this was gonna be a waaaaalk"), told 'em "aren't you just so glad your mom feels better today? yesterday I could barely walk without getting nauseated" no response..........

OMG is it really called that?
<3
Yes it is, or its other name is the Polar Bare Run. You have to remember it is usually around -25 degrees C or colder when this run is done. Last year it was a balmy -30 degrees with the windchill. The garb of choice is bikini's for the girls and speedo's for the guys. I choose to run in my kilt because I just don't look good in a speedo.....:oops:

It depends on the sensitivity. After my -24C run my feet probably felt the same as your did. I was running 3 days later in min shoes. The feeling you described will more then likely be around for a week or 2. Wear socks in your min shoes and you should be able to get some runs in. But then again everyone is different, your perception of discomfort is likely to be different then someone else. Wait till next week and try to get a run in. When you do, do it as such where you can bail out even after a 1/2 mile if you feel the need.

quick edit: All the above pertains only if you have no blisters. Like Rick says, if you do and they do break, do not peel the skin. It makes you foot very sensitive for a lot longer then it needs to be. This is also true for blisters not caused by frostbite.
Thanks Dutchie. I went to a memorial service in shoes today, and the feet felt a bit abraded but the pain is very mild. I may try a short shod run tomorrow in the neighborhood, sticking close to home as you suggest. Then a longer one on New Year's Day if all goes well.

Overall I think my condition is very minor and I would project a recovery time similar to yours. I don't think I'll try another barefoot run until the toes feel completely normal and the temps are close to freezing or above.

The reason I'm so anxious to get back running is that I simply don't sleep well unless I run at least an hour three times a week. Today I woke up at 2am again. The weight lifting helps but it doesn't have the same soporific effect.

Yes it is, or its other name is the Polar Bare Run. You have to remember it is usually around -25 degrees C or colder when this run is done. Last year it was a balmy -30 degrees with the windchill. The garb of choice is bikini's for the girls and speedo's for the guys. I choose to run in my kilt because I just don't look good in a speedo.....:oops:
Careful, while I was on a frost bite thread in a Climber's Forum yesterday trying to understand exactly what I had, I heard of several instances of a frost bit wee-wee. You might need a jock sock.

5.74 miles today. 31.72 miles for the week.

No frostbite here.:)

Here we go, that was my last run of the year, 13.7km, tried to pace it at 5'45"/km, which is what I believe I can achieve on a marathon. My average heartrate was at 130, never going above 138, having said that, the temperature was ideal, with only 19C

Did about 30 min workout (kettlebells, some ab work) yesterday.
4.3 miles today. It was a bit brisk (for California - it was 51F) and I was a bit under dressed, so while I noticed the cold in my feet, it was the muscles in my arms that were actually stiff due to the cold. Need to wear a beanie and/or heavier shirt next time...

Did about 30 min workout (kettlebells, some ab work) yesterday.
4.3 miles today. It was a bit brisk (for California - it was 51F) and I was a bit under dressed, so while I noticed the cold in my feet, it was the muscles in my arms that were actually stiff due to the cold. Need to wear a beanie and/or heavier shirt next time...
That's more like the sort of winter I am used to !! :D

Yeah 51ºF and underdressed? I could probably run that naked just fine if it werent for the :eek: I'd get!

25ºF This afternoon when I went out for 3.5mi to get one last run in for the 5k race on New Years. I resorted to a thin light weight running jacket, and my thin uninsulated tights but it was a tad bit warm!

Reactions: happysongbird
3.5 miles today. Felt balmy at -14C. Come on Pirate, man up. +10C and felt chilly? I will gladly take your chilly temps. :)

Yeah 51ºF and underdressed? I could probably run that naked just fine if it werent for the :eek: I'd get!

25ºF This afternoon when I went out for 3.5mi to get one last run in for the 5k race on New Years. I resorted to a thin light weight running jacket, and my thin uninsulated tights but it was a tad bit warm!

Look, yous two...I'd give the both of you three weeks in CA - tops - before your blood turns to broth and anything below 60F is considered freezing :D

Heck I'm getting soft in Ohio. I'm originally from Northern NYS and while folks don't normally think of NY being all that cold we would occasionally make the news for the coldest spot in the states. People use to ask when hybrids and electric cars were new if my car was some kind of electric conversion since it had an electric plug hanging out through the grill. They never heard of a block heater here in Ohio, but back home when the mercury would be -10 to -20ºF or colder you couldnt get a car to start unless you had it plugged in for a few hours. That was before EFI was the norm and my Corolla still had a carb.

Reactions: NickW
Heck I'm getting soft in Ohio. I'm originally from Northern NYS and while folks don't normally think of NY being all that cold we would occasionally make the news for the coldest spot in the states. People use to ask when hybrids and electric cars were new if my car was some kind of electric conversion since it had an electric plug hanging out through the grill. They never heard of a block heater here in Ohio, but back home when the mercury would be -10 to -20ºF or colder you couldnt get a car to start unless you had it plugged in for a few hours. That was before EFI was the norm and my Corolla still had a carb.

Oh, I know that upstate NY can get mighty cold..as for block heaters, I hear there are places in Alaska where they don't even shut their engines off - they just keep them running...

Not sure if I told this story, but when I first moved to PA in Fall 2004, about 6 weeks after I got there, I experienced 5F/-2 with windchill. I called my brother and told him that I could take something from the outside, put it in the freezer and it would warm up.