Mileage Reporting 52nd Week of 2012

12.5km today, very slow run, trying to get to the bottom of my groin pain. My idea was to go slow enough to be able to keep my core stabilised, hips as flat as possible, so far so good ! I'll give it another go tomorrow, and then that will be it for 2012 !

Yesterday: 4 queasy slow slushy miles.
The roads were full of slushy snow, but only an inch or less. I wore sandals with my thin injinjis and though my feet were wet the whole time, no problem with the cold.
Couldn't figure out why the run made me feel so queasy; i thought i had a hangover from the dinner the night before, until I realized late in the afternoon it was a nasty nasty flu thing. Spent today on the couch. Starting to feel better. Would rather have had today be a long run/fun with kids afterwards kind of day. Cooties be gone!

Today was my first run in snow over the top of my shoes. On the road it varried from open patches to slush to a couple inches of hardpacked stuff. Cars going by pretty much garunteed a good splash since it appeared they were throwing snow and slush atleast 10' so I only did about 1.5mi to warm up and then headed onto a trail. About 8" were reported to have fallen, and it appeared to be about that. Tried to run in ski tracks to help the situation a little but of course shoes are wider than skis and I also sunk in a bit more than the ski tracks. My quads and some other are a bit sore having to pull my foot up through the snow each lift. About a mile and half of that and I was worn out even at only 13mm pace are so. Think the total was about 3.5mi today.

3.55 miles with the dog tonight through the freshly falling snow. Pure heaven as the temps are quite nice and trails nice and crisp for the mukluks. No barefooting with the dog at this time of year, to many things for her to sniff thus I would be delayed and sitting still to long and more than likely frozen to the ground. :D

Well, all this advice and recounting of experience is helping me make decisions foe my 5K tomorrow. It's supposed to be about 20 when I run, but with all the foot traffic, there could be some slush, so I will opt for my more water proof RunAMocs!

Good Luck Laura and have fun.

Reactions: happysongbird
Thanks, glad you guys creamed SF. Carroll and Harbaugh used to be college rivals, right? Maybe we'll meet in the Championship game.

I'll be watching the game over at my older brother's place. My teenage nephews are sportsaholics, so it's a chance to bond a bit. Unfortunately they watch a lot more than they play. I guess texting during games and playing fantasy football count as participation for the younger generation. I've been watching most of the games this year on Tivo Sunday nights with my younger brother in his ultra deluxe home theater. I like being able to fastforward the commercials but he also fastforwards everything else except the plays, so the games are highly compressed and fly by too quickly. I miss having time to discuss and contemplate the plays. I almost miss the insipid banter of the ex-jock broadcasters too.
Ya, I like the commentary too but I hate commercials so whenever I watch a recorded game I have to fast forward through the commercials too. Carroll and Harbaugh were NFL rivals coach/player before they were college rivals. I really dislike Harbaughs grumpy all the time attitude but he is a heck of a coach. He really turned the Niners around fast, but there was a ton of talent on the team all ready that Singletary just couldn't seem to figure out how to get to play well. I'm also really rooting for Arizona this weekend too, although everybody knows that probably won't happen.

Reactions: Bare Lee
2.5 miles today after Xmas break. Very slow, no idea of pace as I figured this was going to be slow so I ran unplugged to avoid disappointing stats coming form my garmin. Good crisp foot prints (shoe) in the fresh snow when I checked them. No sign of pushoff, what I did see though was a slight drag of the toes in the snow as I was lifting my foot. Maybe getting lazy lifting my feet. I just think it is the extra weight of my min shoes doing this. :)

2.5 miles today after Xmas break. Very slow, no idea of pace as I figured this was going to be slow so I ran unplugged to avoid disappointing stats coming form my garmin. Good crisp foot prints (shoe) in the fresh snow when I checked them. No sign of pushoff, what I did see though was a slight drag of the toes in the snow as I was lifting my foot. Maybe getting lazy lifting my feet. I just think it is the extra weight of my min shoes doing this. :)
Speaking of foot prints, one of the positives on my otherwise disappointing run Thursday was seeing my barefoot prints pointing toward me in the snow while coming home on the last mile.

Hey, one question (to Dutchie or anyone else): if my toes aren't sensitive to the cold, how long do you figure until it's safe to run barefoot again? Yesterday I went out to get the mail and didn't notice any extra sensitivity, but I was only out for a few moments. I'll definitely be running shod next week, but if by the following week highs get back up in the 20s, it may be tempting to shed the shoddedness and bare my soles once more.

Reactions: Sid
It depends on the sensitivity. After my -24C run my feet probably felt the same as your did. I was running 3 days later in min shoes. The feeling you described will more then likely be around for a week or 2. Wear socks in your min shoes and you should be able to get some runs in. But then again everyone is different, your perception of discomfort is likely to be different then someone else. Wait till next week and try to get a run in. When you do, do it as such where you can bail out even after a 1/2 mile if you feel the need.

quick edit: All the above pertains only if you have no blisters. Like Rick says, if you do and they do break, do not peel the skin. It makes you foot very sensitive for a lot longer then it needs to be. This is also true for blisters not caused by frostbite.

Reactions: happysongbird
I recall stubbornly trying to run before with cuts or blisters which caused me to change my footstrike and form ever so slightly. This then resulted in aggravating or straining something further up the chain in the ankle/knee/leg, which took even longer to recover from.

Yes, I completely forgot about this. Running with sensitive toes, I had knee problems in January and then the ITBS disaster in February. Other factors were involved, but I bet running with sore toes contributed to my problems. Also the frostbite ruined many other activities for me including skiing and hiking.

I did run in Snow Canyon yesterday. It was beautiful, but the run was tough. The first 5 miles was hiking on sandy single track, lava flows, and petrified sand dunes, lots of exploring. I noticed that those 5 miles took nearly 1.5 hours and my mileage goal of 20 was not going to be possible. Started running on the bike path out of the State Park and then down into the town. Heavy legs for the middle part of the run and I had way too much weight in my camelbak. Having a cold didn't help things (yes, finally sick after nearly 2 years of non-sickness). Last half of the run felt great, but I was out of time and a lot of car exhaust in town. Finished with 15 miles.

Had a nice dinner with my wife and a big Cutthroat Pale Ale. (oops, this isn't the beer thread)

8.89 miles with the crew this morning. Just a light dusting of snow on the trails, but keep the shoes on. My 28 miler on Thursday created a nice blister on my little toe where it was cramped into my shoe (no more two pairs of socks for this guy). Didn't want to have any issues with dropping the shoes for my Frosty Nipple Run on New Year's Day. ;)

15 miles today snowing 24 degrees. 46.5 for the week all in minimal, no BF:(

I will be doing the resolution 5k run again with my son that day Bob. You go ahead and freeze those nipples, and I bet you will be in kilt as well again. :)

Yup, I will be at the resolution run as well but not running, my wife will be running it with some friends (she is going for moral support), I will be out cheering everybody on with my boys. So if you hear me screaming, "Go Barefoot Runner, Go, Go" I will not be offended if you ignore me. ;)

15 miles today snowing 24 degrees. 46.5 for the week all in minimal, no BF:(

Hey, Barefootn, you were out there running so that is all that matters, so turn that frown upside down like this :(.....:)... it looks so much better.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts