Mileage Reporting 50th Week Of 2012

5.53 miles, 41degF, slightly damp with some flooded spots. Did the first 1.3 miles in the Pah Tempes till I warmed up and then did the last 4.23 barefoot. Kind of fun freaking out people here as they are all bundled up as if we are in Winnipeg or something and I am in shorts and a t shirt running through all the flooded stuff splashing away like a little kid. My left foot is pretty tender, I checked my feet about half way and there was no visible worn spots on the outside of the soles (still isn't) but I could see the beginnings of a worn spot inside the ball of my left foot just under the skin. I should have put my sandals on to finish the run but I didn't. Now I have a nice cavern under the skin that is painful. It's right under the met head which seems to just grind away just under the skin.

I could do some splashing right now too, but it would just sort of go *POOF*. But a good snowball to the back of a friends noggin always brings a smile to my face. ;)

35 F / 1.6 C; 28 F / - 2.2 C windchill.
5.9 miles / 9.5 km. total; 5.1 miles / 8.2 km running.

I used the same route I ran on Wednesday. Most of the slush was gone, but dry patches were still few and far between. I mostly ran on a mixture of wet asphalt, compacted snow, and ice. There was a little more wind today, and so it felt just as cold or perhaps colder than Wednesday, even without the slush, and I kept my walking breaks brief. Most of the walking was done bringing my daughter back from kindergarten on the way back. I really should've put on the Moc3s at that point, but I thought my feet had warmed up sufficiently while inside the school getting her stuff and putting on her winter wraps. Now the end of my right 'index' toe is a bit painful. That's the same toe that gave me trouble last winter. It was well into spring, I think, before the slight pain had disappeared completely. I started to feel it on Thursday, so I guess I got a little frost nip on Wednesday's slush run, and then aggravated it a bit with today's continued moisture. I hope I haven't overdone it. I don't want to give Dama an excuse to give me more grief.

Tomorrow, Saturday, we're supposed to get a mix of rain, sleet, and snow, so I may finally buckle and don footwear for Sunday's run, but I'll do my best to stay bare for as long as possible. Today definitely felt like I was at the limit of my tolerances. Moisture kills! I could feel my mets stiffening up at one point. Hopefully there'll be drier conditions soon. I wasn't in any real discomfort at any point, but I am a bit anxious about harming my feet.

I was under the impression that I was running slightly faster than on my last run, but the Garmin indicates I was actually going a bit slower, at 9:20 pace. Still, that felt like a pretty good pace under the conditions, and my form felt good and my strides confident. I may stick to this route for a while and just work on getting the pace down. No sign of ITB strain, so that was a relief. I remembered to wear my knee braces, so perhaps that helped, or perhaps it was the strength training from the day before that helped support the knee, or may the ITBS is just going away by itself. In any case, I'm going to stick to the plan of only running at paces at which my form feels good, and right now that's right around 9mm or faster. I'll only up the distances when I can sustain that pace for longer, or when it becomes feasible again to take longer walking recovery breaks. It would be nice to get up to 7-8 miles again soon. Five miles doesn't feel quite long enough these days, although at these slightly faster paces, I do feel like I get a good workout, given my present level of conditioning.

Tomorrow is my shoulders, lats, neck, and forearm strength training day. It'll be good to give my lower body a rest after three straight days of working it.

Side note: The concerned looks on the faces of the parents at my daughter's school were priceless. I'm a really normal-looking guy, with no visible counter-cultural fashion accessories like earrings or tats or interesting hair. I came in wearing nondescript sweatpants & a hoodie, but I don't know if my middle-aged normality offset the weirdness of coming in to pick up my daughter barefoot in winter, or if the mismatch/incongruity make the scene all the weirder. On the walk home I put my daughter up on my shoulders so we could go quicker. I didn't want to walk bare at her pace. When I explained this to her, she asked why I didn't just put on my shoes. Shoes? Ridiculous! Wait a minute, . . . that actually makes sense :confused: . Clever girl.

3.5 this morning, sandals, done before 6 so i could get ready and give a final to my students. METEOR SHOWER. Worth getting my tired self out of bed from 3 hrs of sleep to see that.

3 on track barefoot at school(campus was covered with salt after the tiniest little slushy snowfall earlier in the week, and I didn't want to run on that), after giving my final. Starting temp 34 finishing temp 37 F, but with the nice sunshine midmorning it felt much warmer than that.

What I can never understand is when I go into the workout center at my school on such a pretty day, you see all kinds of people running on the treadmills and around the tiny (9 times/mile) rectangular track indoors. What would possess a person? I don't get it.

I got really sick swimming on Wednesday. I think it was a combination of being tired (husband in a very different time zone all week, the nice long run on Tuesday), placing myself poorly compared to the current generator, and (plug your ears, men) hormones. I felt pretty bad up until Thursday evening, when I went to pick up sorely missed husband from the airport.

This afternoon, he was able to get off work a little early and meet me for a 6.2mile run along the Boise river. He ran 3 miles before I even got there, to check out the course. My pace was only 9mm going out, which frustrated me, but I was able to rev it up to 8:20 mm for the last half. Greg wasn't even breathing hard. I wore my Moc3s, which was a good thing, as the path was quite gravely off and on. Some of of it was dirt covered in a mat of leaves, which was nice!

10.8mi barefoot trail. Had some unexpected company. Parking area already had 5 cars, with people milling about. Usually there's none, sometimes 1-2, and occasionally 1-2 trucks by the lake (boaters). Well, no time for chitchat, off to trails!

It took me a while, but I figure out why there was all that gravel about. Most of the trail is double track, kept clear by the groundskeeper driving around in his truck, I assume. There are some potentially muddy spots, so it's probably for traction. There also a fairly long section of one loop with a lot of gravel. Apparently, that part leads to a basic campsite.

On the way in, I saw a few of my footprints from before, and tried to lay down some new ones. I found a longer way to access the area beyond the gravel road and campsite, and explored a new route today. . There were some nice portions, some gravel, and a few small mud pools due to recent rain. This area was a bit more woody. It was nice.

Then, my oh my, lots of gravel! Too stubborn to turn back, and a bit curious, I figured, it can't be that long! Right... The gravel road twisted and turned, like an amusement park line that prevents you from seeing how long it is. So, how long? 0.2 miles. Yep. I tried to walk on the side, where there was some grass, although that wasn't possible all of the time, as there was saw palmetto everywhere. (Also, there are poisonous snakes in the area.) Bit by bit, step by step, I made it. Probably took 10-15 min of prancing about.

The rest of the way out wasn't too bad. Campsite was empty. Then I heard voices for the first time in those woods, and came upon a group of young men, maybe high school or college age. There was a truck with a trailer behind them with supplies. They were dressed for hiking, a bit overdressed perhaps, coats, hats, backpacks, boots, the works, in 60F. Me? Tech shirt, shorts, armband with phone. Well, there's about 12-15 of them standing around, waiting for the truck to pass. Well, I've got a run to finish and about 3mi to go. I duck into the woods and go around all of them. Don't know if they even saw that I was barefoot.

Saw a nice clear footprint of mine on the way out, and tried to leave a few more, perhaps to convince those hikers that all the gear was a bit overdone. Back at the parking area, I saw a trailer labeled, Boy Scouts. Ah, that makes sense. I wonder if there's going to be a lot more of them coming in. If I go back, it will probably be the north part of the trail, and I could probably avoid all the hubbub.

I'm sure glad that they didn't catch me in that 0.2mi of gravel. That would have been a bit embarrassing! Do they have a badge for barefoot running? They should!

Edit: 44.4 mi for the week

Just finished 6.67 miles for a 21.04 mile week.

1.5 miles today with a 1/2 mile backwards running at the end. Like Dama and Bob I too have been fighting that bug for about 2-3 weeks. Damn thing is hard to get rid of. Enjoy the cold and snow that we sent out your way Lee. Should be there by tomorrow. :D Consider it a early Xmas present. Would not like to see your kids go through a brown Xmas.
Actually, we got 12" last weekend, but today's rain and the last few days of above-freezing highs have melted a fair share of it.

Today, no strength training, just shopping. Yuck. Will try to make it up tomorrow. Get well everyone!

To finish off the week
Friday: 4.2 miles over snow trails with the dog
Saturday 16.05 miles (including a measly 1 km barefoot). Alot of snowy field running so the shoes went on.

Really looking forward to Arizona in Jan.

Total of 44 miles for the week I think.

I finished the week with a 27 mile trail run. So much for a slow transition back to shoes (I was in my Merrell Trail Gloves). Raining, then snowing, mud, and rocks. I was the only one that showed up for the group run, so I got a personal tour from the Zion 100 race director, Matt Gunn, a great guy, he was very patient with my slowness. It was quite an adventure trying to find the single track in 3-5 inches of snow. It was an out and back, so the return trip was much easier to find the trail. At times the clouds would clear just enough to show some of the views. Incredible, most of the trail was along the edge of a mesa.

So how did running in shoes go? Not bad, my feet were a little cramped, completely soaked after 1 minute, I think being that cold kept them from swelling too much. I had some discomfort with one of my big toes. About halfway through my run I started having some knee troubles. Tried form adjustments, speed adjustments, stretching, etc. Kept pressing on, I had no other options. Some relief when I decided to do the last 2 miles barefoot. The mud was a little cold, but I got instant relief taking the foot weights off.

One other thing that saved me. Toe heaters, the little charcoal packets. I didn't need them for my feet, I ended up using them for my hands. Next time I will bring waterproof gloves.

I'm going to take this next week easy, make sure the knee is recovering.

That was me last week, get well soon.
Thanks Bob, I am still fighting it I had a cough attack this AM from 3:00 to 5:00 AM but what I hate the most is the lack of energy. Even if I want to do someting it's very hard to drag my sorry behind from bed.

I fought it for two weeks with sleep deprivation. I think Dama's course of action is much wiser. Just rest and get it over with.

But in a way Dama is still running, alongside of me, making sure I don't overdo it. Today, for example, I'm wanting to go up to seven miles, but the reply to the question, "What would Dama do?" is to stick to 5-6 miles for another run or two, and make sure my legs are ok with that.

Glad to hear you're listening maybe that explains my 3lb weight loss with all the exercise I am doing along side you?

Forgot to tell you but it's more likely that we(my husband and I) are doing the Minneapolis half well, I'll be doing the half my husband will be doing the 5K. Tha's the plan for now.

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Glad to hear you're listening maybe that explains my 3lb weight loss with all the exercise I am doing along side you?
Yes, I forgot to tell you that you're also doing jumping jacks during my strength-training sessions, off in the corner, so that helps explain the missing three too.
Forgot to tell you but it's more likely that we(my husband and I) are doing the Minneapolis half well, I'll be doing the half my husband will be doing the 5K. Tha's the plan for now.
Sounds good. I hope I'm up for it. I going to do my best to make sure that half mary doesn't mess with my training and make me do more than my legs are capable of. I'm getting good at taking each run on its own merits, one at a time, and not worrying about overall rate of progress. That said, I have been making good progress again now, so barring further mishap, I should be able to add a mile each month to my longest weekly run and be good to go by August. But any sign of ITBS and I'm backing down/off. It feels way to good to be running regularly again. I'm never going to put that in jeopardy again. It's been a pretty frustrating last 3-4 months. Hopefully by the end of this month I'll be back to close the conditioning and pace I had at the end of July. BTW, I'm thinking of doing a 10 k at the end of January if the temps are 20F or above and there's no salt on the course.

Reactions: NickW
Yes, I forgot to tell you that you're also doing jumping jacks during my strength-training sessions, off in the corner, so that helps explain the missing three too.
Jimimy! there is no wonder why I have no energy, and here I thought that something might be wrong with me. But that explains it all.

Sounds good. I hope I'm up for it. I going to do my best to make sure that half mary doesn't mess with my training and make me do more than my legs are capable of. But I'm back to making good progress again now, so barring further mishap, I should be able to add a mile each month to my longest weekly run and be good to go by August. But any sign of ITBS and I'm backing down. It feels way to good to be running regularly again, I'm never going to put that in jeopardy again. It's been a pretty frustrating 3-4 last months. Hopefully by the end of this month I'll be back to close the conditioning and pace I had at the end of July. BTW, I'm thinking of doing a 10 k at the end of January if the temps are 20F or above and there's no salt on the course.
Don't rush anything there is plenty of time to safely increase distance. You'll be more than ready!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test