Mileage Reporting 4th Week of 2013

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
Ran 8 miles in the icy, packed snow in my RunAMocs. Had to really work on staying relaxed, but was pleased to find my legs loosening up as I went along.

Met one of the rudest dog owners on the planet. He was a college age man plugged into loud music, letting his huge boxer dog range on it's long leash all over the path. When I was yelling loudly at him about his dog approaching me, he acted all offended, then the next lap had the nerve to tell me to go run somewhere else. Can I get in trouble for beating up a dog on a leash?

Ran 8 miles in the icy, packed snow in my RunAMocs. Had to really work on staying relaxed, but was pleased to find my legs loosening up as I went along.

Met one of the rudest dog owners on the planet. He was a college age man plugged into loud music, letting his huge boxer dog range on it's long leash all over the path. When I was yelling loudly at him about his dog approaching me, he acted all offended, then the next lap had the nerve to tell me to go run somewhere else. Can I get in trouble for beating up a dog on a leash?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo you know how I feel about rude dog owners. Sorry some escaped to your side of the country. Thought I had them all here for a while. SYMPATHIES. If you see him again, and if it was a trail, and you can get his license plate, write it down w/ all id info you can. If you can figure out where he lives, if it's nearby, write down his address. You will have an animal control office in your county. One of the purposes they serve is to make sure that dogs are properly leashed and licensed and NOT attacking or harassing people. Around here, they are overworked and understaffed but kind and diligent and will attempt to help in whatever way they can. Any time they are called out, they also check to make sure all licensing and paperwork/vaccines are up to date. It's a real hassle for an owner.
I'm sure there are licensing laws in your county. If you see the guy again, let him know you are willing to report him/have reported him for his loose, aggressive dog.
Remember, you are not just doign this for you; you are doing this in case there are little kids/old folks/whomever on the trail some day that get this dog excited in the wrong way and get hurt.
Just sayin' look into what you can do if you see him again. You'll feel a little empowered, if nothing else. These dog owners get away with it because no one ever holds them accountable and they start to think there are no rules and you are the one in the way.

1.5 miles w the kids last night.
Tweaked my ankle some time last week, no idea how or why, or if it's even running related, in a weird spot that began to bother me at no particular time, ran on it anyways and it got worse, swelled just a tad, so I'm out for a while. Tried callin the waaaaambulance, skedaddle, but the lines were tied.

Might suck it up enough to take kids around the block (my daughter isn't getting any less whiny about it and both kids desperately need exercise---no recess even for them lately), but otherwise, no running this week. :(

Upper body st at the gym today, and 40 boring minutes on the elliptical. May swim a bit tonight while my daughter takes her class. Maybe not. Still tired from a party weekend.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo you know how I feel about rude dog owners. Sorry some escaped to your side of the country. Thought I had them all here for a while. SYMPATHIES. If you see him again, and if it was a trail, and you can get his license plate, write it down w/ all id info you can. If you can figure out where he lives, if it's nearby, write down his address. You will have an animal control office in your county. One of the purposes they serve is to make sure that dogs are properly leashed and licensed and NOT attacking or harassing people. Around here, they are overworked and understaffed but kind and diligent and will attempt to help in whatever way they can. Any time they are called out, they also check to make sure all licensing and paperwork/vaccines are up to date. It's a real hassle for an owner.
I'm sure there are licensing laws in your county. If you see the guy again, let him know you are willing to report him/have reported him for his loose, aggressive dog.
Remember, you are not just doign this for you; you are doing this in case there are little kids/old folks/whomever on the trail some day that get this dog excited in the wrong way and get hurt.
Just sayin' look into what you can do if you see him again. You'll feel a little empowered, if nothing else. These dog owners get away with it because no one ever holds them accountable and they start to think there are no rules and you are the one in the way.
The weird thing is his dog was on a leash, but still not controlled, all over the width of the path. If I had known how bad it was, I suppose I could have turned around, but, like you mention, it is a public trail and I should not have to turn around every half lap to stay out of his way! He was apparently walking from his home from a back trail, because I did think about the license thing. I'm actually glad my daughter had taken my dog at that point. It left me free to just deal with him without dealing with the dog's reaction, too. It was a big boxer dog! I think I'd just as soon bean it myself at this point, rather than trying to count on governmental authorities. I take this as a good sign, because it means in the midst of my panicking, there is evidence of metal capacity to fight if I need to!

I think I'd just as soon bean it myself

Don't know why, but that made me chuckle. :)

I ran 5km this morning in shoes and felt pretty flat. For some reason I felt completely uncoordinated and heavy, but it was nice to know that I can still keep chugging along if I'm not going well. I'm guessing lack of sleep, as I had a late night last night. I might start keeping a record of sleep times to see if I can spot a correlation between late nights and crappy running.

Seven miles on the mill last night for me.
Stairs workout later on today.

SNOW DAY!

My kids have homework, I have work to do, it's freeeeeeezing outside (5 degrees high for the day and windy). This is gonna be a not physically active day. Will try, but hopes aren't high. Doing pushups and situps now so I don't feel like a total slug.

On weather like this I am glad I have a TM it's been awfully cold here too! :cool:

Reactions: scedastic
1.5 miles w the kids last night.
Tweaked my ankle some time last week, no idea how or why, or if it's even running related, in a weird spot that began to bother me at no particular time, ran on it anyways and it got worse, swelled just a tad, so I'm out for a while. Tried callin the waaaaambulance, skedaddle, but the lines were tied.

Hey, and I KNOW this doesn't belong in a mileage thread, but I'm a rebel and trouble maker.
I may have figured out my ankle tweak. It started the evening after I did a fast (for me, may have been 7:30 pace or better) half mile or a bit more on the rectangular track at my school(it's a 9x/mile track with sharp-ish corners). I was in socks on a slippery smooth track. Negotiating the corners, maybe? Just guessing, since it's the only "unusual" activity, running or otherwise, that I've done recently. I've warmed up on that track before, but never gone fast on it.

Twenty mins of stairs, half of mile walk and some hip openers.

Hey, and I KNOW this doesn't belong in a mileage thread, but I'm a rebel and trouble maker.
I may have figured out my ankle tweak. It started the evening after I did a fast (for me, may have been 7:30 pace or better) half mile or a bit more on the rectangular track at my school(it's a 9x/mile track with sharp-ish corners). I was in socks on a slippery smooth track. Negotiating the corners, maybe? Just guessing, since it's the only "unusual" activity, running or otherwise, that I've done recently. I've warmed up on that track before, but never gone fast on it.

Yea, that sounds about right and "your" running track is exactly the same size as "mine" my ankles don't bother me when I run indoors but my hips do get slightly sore though.
But on the rare occasions that I feel like running fast the tendons/ligaments surrounding the ankle kind of resent the workout. Not enough to keep me from running but they do(tendons/ligaments) let me know that I did something deferent. I am sure is caused by the sharp turns.

Reactions: scedastic
75 minutes on the spinning bike, followed by TRX for arms, then core work on the floor. Legs are a bit sore from yesterdays miles, but I am still rejoicing over it. Have a couple of blisters on longer toes. I am wondering if they heal faster in the open air, which is what they are getting. :barefoot:

6.2mi barefoot trail. Glad to be running regularly again. Went back to the university trail for the 2nd time. Did a bit of sleuthing and found a free garage nearby (the only free one on the whole campus). Only had to cross one major street and didn't have to run next to a ravine to get to the trail. Score!

Explored a bit and found a few sections off the campus map. Would have gone further, but again losing daylight and there were signs posted about venomous snakes. That's okay, I had already been out for an hour. I'm pleased that I've found a nice place to run after work.

a solid hour maybe more shoveling and yes all you northerners it sho nuff count. love the shoveling when i don't have to be somewhere right away
I carved sweet little paths through the 5-6" deep snow around our house/shed/garden for our kitties and humans to follow, then did the long driveway by hand (snow thrower?! for sissies!) w/ my daughter. high of about 14 degrees plenty of westerly wind today.
SHOD IN BOOTS like regular salomon boots. but w/ the liners removed, many would call them 'minimal' though they felt like medical devices to me. Not complaining; it was just weird.
I didn't pick the soft stars cuz i was worried about the ankle and we also did a walk through the snow. My feet were sweating buckets. It was 10 degrees w/ 10-15 mph winds when I came inside. Hah. Weird.

Sid, you have the most adventurous runs. Kudos
The sign was posted at the entrance to the trail. I'm guessing that anywhere there are woods, that venomous snakes are a possibility in FL

Last week was a change of pace. No venomous snakes in the city of Miami, however our hotel bordered an unsavory part of town. I found what I thought was a nice asphalt bike path to run on. It was nice, but I came across a homeless camp at the rail station, that I tried to avoid, only to run right by a fella sleeping on the bike path behind a bridge column. Also passed a 24hr adult bookstore (must be very studious adults). I felt safer around the venomous snakes than in Miami.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test