Mileage Reporting 4th Week 2014

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Sunday afternoon, above-freezing I think, 6.17 miles running near the U of M parking lot on the border of the fairgrounds where the bus and car traffic had cleared a short 1/3 mi loop of wet asphalt around the street's divider. Felt good to feel the wet ground, although it got a little harsh towards the end.

Most everywhere else, Saturday's snow was still covering the ground. I've had to shovel twice now since coming back from Southern Cal, in my Sockwa G4s. Took advantage of the warmer temps to break up some ice too.

Midweek, zero-to-single digits on the menu, then hopefully some more bareable temps by the weekend, provided it doesn't snow, then another Arctic plunge.

My longest barefoot run yet, 8.1 miles. Hadn't planned on that, but the legs felt surprisingly good and seeing how they're calling for maybe up to 10 inches of snow tomorrow, I just kept running while I've got the opportunity to do so, because it might be a while before I can barefoot it again.

3.3 miles, nice afternoon stroll, had to wear shoes today, but oh well... Tomorrow is a new day. The cool thing is I had the chance to talk to my eye dr., who is a runner(she was wearing those hideous Hoka one things), About barefoot running. She actually had some good questions and I recommended some good books. Hope she gives it a try at least.

3.25 miles. It was not a pretty run...... My new tights were too big and kept falling down.

I don't think they can be called tights then.

Exhilarating 5 mile run at 4:45 am., 43 deg. f., 40 deg. wind chill. Cool north wind.

I broke my non running streak, I'm out of the rut. 1.75 mile run in 2 degree weather. I planned to run for 30 minutes but when ice formed on my eye lashes at the 3 minute mark I decided to cut it in half. I broke down and went out in an old pair of sneakers, I haven't run in sneakers in over a year...... I felt like a cheater but this cold weather is not too friendly on my feet. If it 10 degrees f or higher I'll go barefoot but anything less than 10 gets socks and if there is any moisture on the road, sneakers (can't stand even saying sneakers, it's like a forbidden swear word now)

Happy new year to everyone too, I've been on a two month hiatus from BRS.

Slow 6.1km, half VFF, half barefoot. First proper barefoot running in a while. Sore from the long run on Saturday.

which foot was bare and which one covered? :nailbiting:

m-rest
t-road run near my school. apparently i went nearly half a mile longer by running straight down a road instead of turning sooner. my time was still 45s faster pace than last week and over 2 min faster than previous week. slow but getting faster. my intern is making some improvements as he did some graston on my left thigh. i felt great. felt like i was standing on even ground instead of lopsided like normal. he did some more graston on my leg and really dug in. strummed my leg like a guitar. dug into my heel which had huge knots and my back. can't wait for my run tomorrow.

Sunday - barefoot pacing loops in airports. On and off planes without any indication of concern from anyone.

Monday - Swam quite a few oddly shaped laps in resort pool. I think I was swimming around 35-45 minutes. Pool side spectators think I'm weird. Children had fun pretending I was a crocodile.

Tuesday - Hike in Lunas to see monkeys and sloths. Lots of sharp, hot rocks on the wide trail. Then, some walking barefoot in the sand for long stretches near the water.

Wednesday - More laps in the pool. Dancing in the evening, which ended up being on the sidewalk just outside of the open air pub with an excellent live band. Was told by a stranger that I "have the spirit and (she) enjoyed warching me have so much fun." Wore Lunas as I was appprehensive about wandering around the rough sidewalks and streets in the dark. Then, I didn't want to take them off since theft is reportedly a huge problem here. Feel sad that a drunk couple seemingly inspired by my energetic dancing did not keep track of the 3 foot high sidewalk ledge and crashed horribly into the street. Blood, loss of consciousness, very unimpressive emergency medical care SLOW to arrive.

Thursday - Barefoot hike through crocodile and poisonous snake habitat ... but apparently lacking critters today. Not my idea and I screamed when the really big fish swam by. I may have felt every possible texture of mud today. Only a couple of very short sections of actually running, but walking on all the sinking, slippery mud, as well as pushing through the rivers and a lot of deep sand for 3-4 hours was a workout. Did I mention the heat glowing over the dry areas and the water running out? Bug spray and sun screen washed off by all the water, so I'm feeling a bit crispy. My husband's idea of a fun vacation. Definitely memorable.

Sunday - barefoot pacing loops in airports. On and off planes without any indication of concern from anyone.

Monday - Swam quite a few oddly shaped laps in resort pool. I think I was swimming around 35-45 minutes. Pool side spectators think I'm weird. Children had fun pretending I was a crocodile.

Tuesday - Hike in Lunas to see monkeys and sloths. Lots of sharp, hot rocks on the wide trail. Then, some walking barefoot in the sand for long stretches near the water.

Wednesday - More laps in the pool. Dancing in the evening, which ended up being on the sidewalk just outside of the open air pub with an excellent live band. Was told by a stranger that I "have the spirit and (she) enjoyed warching me have so much fun." Wore Lunas as I was appprehensive about wandering around the rough sidewalks and streets in the dark. Then, I didn't want to take them off since theft is reportedly a huge problem here. Feel sad that a drunk couple seemingly inspired by my energetic dancing did not keep track of the 3 foot high sidewalk ledge and crashed horribly into the street. Blood, loss of consciousness, very unimpressive emergency medical care SLOW to arrive.

Thursday - Barefoot hike through crocodile and poisonous snake habitat ... but apparently lacking critters today. Not my idea and I screamed when the really big fish swam by. I may have felt every possible texture of mud today. Only a couple of very short sections of actually running, but walking on all the sinking, slippery mud, as well as pushing through the rivers and a lot of deep sand for 3-4 hours was a workout. Did I mention the heat glowing over the dry areas and the water running out? Bug spray and sun screen washed off by all the water, so I'm feeling a bit crispy. My husband's idea of a fun vacation. Definitely memorable.
Sounds like a great holiday Laura. And sounds like you're still turning heads and causing accidents! I like your husband's idea of a good time. Where, by the way, are you? Did I miss something?

Here in Minnie, we underwent another Arctic plunge the last three days. They even closed the schools again yesterday due to extreme windchills. The Winterpeggers are probably laughing at us down here. I don't recall school ever being closed due to cold back in my day. Only a big snowfall would do that.

So anyways, I've just been doing run-commutes with both my Icebreaker balaclava and a velcroed ski mask with Hannibal Lector-like mouth holes and a little area open just around the nostrils. Kind of a psycho-ninja look. Otherwise just normal Icebreaker gear and on my feet I've been wearing the G4s you recommended sockless (thanks again for the rec! I love those damn shoes). My feet get cold, but never cross over into a proper numb-plunge, and I like the idea of retaining my cold adaptation, both mentally and physically, while I wait for more bareable temperatures to arrive. Today we should have temps up around freezing, so hopefully it won't snow and I can get in some more Winter Challenge mileage this afternoon. With all my Merino wool gear, I don't really mind the extreme cold, but the minute I have to take my gloves off, for keys or when picking up my kids, it only takes a minute or two for my fingers to get really cold.

I'm so ready for spring and daily plantar stimulation!

This week I've been getting back into strength training after a 2-3 week hiatus. My left shoulder feels pretty normal now, but I've been taking it really slow, only doing about 75% of max rep and effort level. I'll keep building up weight and intensity, see how my shoulder takes it and try to see if any exercises in particular may be stressing it, so that I can cut those ones out. My new routine of doing one basic lift per day, with the accompanying supporting exercises afterwards, will hopefully help isolate the problem, if it still exists.

I love the feeling of being slightly sore the day after lifting. I missed it. And I like how running and lifting seem to reinforce each other. The more I lift, the more I want to run, and vice versa. I also noticed that during the time I wasn't lifting, my body felt heavy and my posture degraded.

Sounds like a great holiday Laura. And sounds like you're still turning heads and causing accidents! I like your husband's idea of a good time. Where, by the way, are you? Did I miss something?

r and on my feet I've been wearing the G4s you recommended sockless (thanks again for the rec! I love those damn shoes). My feet get cold, but never cross over into a proper numb-plunge, and I like the idea of retaining my cold adaptation, both mentally and physically, while I wait for more bareable temperatures to arrive. Today we should have temps up around freezing, so hopefully it won't snow and I can get in some more Winter Challenge mileage this afternoon. I don't really mind the extreme cold, but the minute I have to take my gloves off, for keys or when picking up my kids, it only takes a minute or two for my fingers to get really cold.

I'm so ready for spring and daily plantar stimulation!.

We are in and around Quepos, Costa Rica.

Very glad to hear the Sockwas are working out so well for you. I continued to be pleased with them. I enjoyed and benefited from the discussion you generated with your review. Sounds like I might need a pair of those X8s!

Addendum to yesterday's activities. The fellows ( we are traveling with good friends ) decided we needed to go cruising and dancing after I already had my jammies on ... so I dutifully got dressed and went dancing. Latin music this time, so used new muscles. Had a blast and got some applause from a couple of other people in this more upscale restaurant/bar. There was basically no one else on the floor except me, and often my husband. I love having the whole dance floor to myself!

Reactions: Bare Lee
tuesday: swim
wednesday: squats and sit ups in the morning. that's about it.
thursday: gym

it's been an.....uninspired week, workout-wise. The windchills, the work to be done, the stress of life, the fender bender, the slowly fading infections, the half hearted new rhinovirus.
If only the weather would break.
Here's to next week. Though the weather won't be any better, maybe my attitude will.