Mileage Reporting 49th week of 2012

Even better! Do it! live a little.
Imagine telling your grandkids the story of your trail run.

Reactions: Sid
Without a heart rate monitor, it's hard to be sure. In lieu of this, what was your perceived level of exertion frustration?
My first thought was "Damn". If I knew I was going to breakdown I would have brought some heavier pants. All I had for the legs was a light weight wind pants, to top it all of, no gloves either. And the choice of footwear for the MAF run was steel toed work boots Hard to believe, a under prepared Winterpegger. But you know, my legs nor my hands really got cold. Kept my hands in my pockets for most of the way. Did have my down jacket on though. :) So the perceived effort felt like there was no elevated heart rate. So with that in mind I consider my first MAF run a success. ;)

My first thought was "Damn". If I knew I was going to breakdown I would have brought some heavier pants. All I had for the legs was a light weight wind pants, to top it all of, no gloves either. And the choice of footwear for the MAF run was steel toed work boots Hard to believe, a under prepared Winterpegger. But you know, my legs nor my hands really got cold. Kept my hands in my pockets for most of the way. Did have my down jacket on though. :) So the perceived effort felt like there was no elevated heart rate. So with that in mind I consider my first MAF run a success. ;)
I think the effort level must be inversely proportional to the frustration level to truly count as a bona fide MAF run, but since you're new at this, I think Mike will let it slide.

Even better! Do it! live a little.
Imagine telling your grandkids the story of your trail run.
Did you take out a life insurance policy on me or something? Make sure that you have a good rate. I'm in the low risk category now!

3.7mi barefoot. Didn't go out with any preconceived notion of distance. It was somewhat liberating. (Had to look at the Garmin site for the distance!) After a couple of weeks in minshoes, it took a few hundred feet to get the form and cadence right. Light and quick! Funny how 3mm can make such a big difference. Did some running, jogging, sprinting. Fartlek, right?

Edit: Oh yeah, also sold off the Nike watch. Now trying to figure out which site to use with the Garmin. Dailymile has nice, easy to see graphs. Training Peaks seems good too, though maybe a bit too complex for me. At least now, with the Garmin, I can upload my data to wherever I choose.

Edit2: Off to the trail! Had a little trouble sleeping last night, because of all the excitement. After 600 miles on asphalt and concrete, my feet are yearning for some terra firma. Here goes!

5.7mi barefoot on a trail. Who put all this gravel here?! First 2mi were pretty gravelly in some places, and ended up walking in a few spots, quarter mile here, quarter mile there. Got to a point where there was a nice patch of grass and sand and did that for a mile out and back. Even got up to running speed and a few sprints. Then back through the gravel again.

Saw another runner coming in as I was leaving, and he asked if it was safe, with regard to animals. Didn't see anything myself, no birds even. Heard something small scurrying away on my way back, but that was it. Saw some horse apples, as the trail was also a bridle path. Fortunately, I missed stepping in those!

Got way turned around though. GPS map shows that I was on a completely different trail than I thought I was on. Although, there really weren't that many options, as I wanted to stick to well worn paths. No way that I was going to be traipsing through the Florida scrub. All in all a really nice run and good change of pace. Got some country fresh air. I'll definitely be going back again!

Do you do strength training at all Rick? I looked into ITBS a bit recently, and some say the root cause is muscle weakness and imbalance. All the other stuff--rolls, massaging, stretching--may alleviate the symptoms, but not address the underlying cause. But I don't know how widely accepted that point of view is, and my 'research' was superficial at best.

Hardly any right now. Back when I was injured in February I started the exercises, rolling, stretching, etc. I think it all helped with the ITBS, but what cured mine was a commitment to barefoot only, dropping my pace, and finding my form flaw. I give a big thanks to 7ships and B&A for their advice in the ITBS thread. Once my knee pain was in check, and my farm work and garden work got busy, I slacked on the exercises. I know I need to start up again, work is not a good excuse not to do the strength training.

5 miles today to finish the week with 40+. A nice recovery run with the dogs and my son. No watch and kept the pace easy.

Well, after the crap-crap-crappiest November in memory, I'm back among the living. My dear wife, giving soul that she is, decided that she should gift me with her nasty cold, which felt more like an endless mucus waterfall cascading from a heated sauna in my forehead with a side order of muscle aches. Needless to say my training took a bit of a nosedive, but by the beginning of the week I felt well enough to hit the roads once again, and thus, my mileage report for this week:

Monday 12/3 -- nada; felt it prudent to take one more day to make sure I was fully over this crud
Tue 12/4 -- 4.8 mi on mixed pavement; .5 mi warmup walk, then the balance running at an easy pace. Felt surprisingly good
Wed 12/5 -- 31 mi on spinning bike at gym, and 20 min on krankcycle. Oops...did I push it too much too soon? Felt fatigued at workout's end
Thur 12/6 -- 4.25 mi on mixed pavement. This was my experiment on adding a 2nd day (rather than 3rd day) run, and it felt pretty dang good
Fri 12/7 -- free weights and core work, with a cool down on the krankcycle
Sat 12/8 -- 10.01 miles, incl 1 mi warmup, then 9 miles on mixed, wet pavement. Longest run yet, and at mile 9 I asked myself: "OK, if you had to do 3.1 more miles right now, could you do it?" And my honest answer was, "Yes, I could." The good news was that I didn't have to, and won't, until the end of January, so I feel pretty confident in my ability to at least finish the Carlsbad half-mary in reasonable comfort.

So, dear bf friends, it's nice to be back with you all. I can see that I have much catching up to do here, so I better get to it.:)

Woke up to snow and 30 degrees, which means footwear for me. Didn't feel up to my semi-regular speed intervals, so did 5 miles with some good hills instead. The first 2 miles were the main hills and that was only a 9 mm pace. Since my total pace calculates to 8:45 mm, I must have been faster after that. I timed a section around mile 4 when I was trying a bit harder and it was an 8:15 mm, but I know I wasn't doing that the whole time. Was ready to be done at the end. Hope to swim later after some food and a rest, some might edit this later.

Addendum: I did swim for 30 minutes. Longer intervals without stopping again, mostly 4-5 minutes at a time. Keeps inching up, so that's good.

And this weeks total mileage is noteworthy for me, being the most in a week I have done since my college days. :barefoot:

4.85 mi total, 4.39 total running, 3.27 mi on the track, and .46 mi walking in between intervals.

32 F, 31 F windchill.

A light frosting overnight, and a good day of reading made me a bit lazy to go out and run. But the curiosity of seeing if I could perhaps run a bit farther or faster down at the track got me out of the house. Plus we’re supposed to get another 3-6 inches of snow tonight, so it would be even harder to motivate tomorrow if I were to put off the run for another day.

The roads going down to the track were icy and wet with very few dry spots. I was already regretting not taking my Moc3s as back-up. The track itself was about half-covered in a half inch or so of snow. Just enough to provide cold moisture, but not enough to smooth out the abrasiveness of the sandy gravel. Knowing it would be hard to walk for any length of time between intervals, I decided to try 880 intervals instead of 440s, and reset the pace alert to 8:30 mm instead of 8mm. I did three of those, then ran a mile cuz every time I stopped for a walking break my feet would start to numb up after just a few seconds. I started out the mile kind of slow, but then reset the lap after 220 yards and redoubled my mental effort. I then ran two 440s, and ended with a 220 as night began to fall. On the run home I kind of had to push the pace up the long gentle hill home just to keep the feet warm over the streets, which were rapidly icing over everywhere now that the sun was gone. Today’s run definitely felt colder than the one I ran at 11 F windchill, and my feet are a little tingly, but it was kind of exhilarating with the faster pacing. The splits were as follows:

.59 mi - 10.43
880 - 8.11
880 - 8.21
880 - 8.31
220 - 9.19
1 mi - 8.35
440 - 7.30
440 - 7.41
220 - 7.40
.59 mi - 10.21

OK, the feet have warmed again, it’s safe to take a shower. No sign of ITBS, so on next Tuesday's run I'll try to top five miles. At first it was conceptually difficult, but I'm really loving the idea that you can run faster with walking breaks. Break it down and build it back up again. Like in music or something.

4.5, at dark, sandals. for the first time in a long long time, i didn't feel like running or doing anything, but i forced myself. It was a shame too, because laying off of running so much, there was no sign of any tightness or anything at all in my legs, didn't even roll. Coulda pushed pace or distance or both or whatever if i had felt up to it. .but no. it was all i could do just to leave the house.
winter blues? end of semester insanity? exhaustion? whatever. it gets better after tuesday evening. just gotta survive till then.

Started out with some aloo paratha, then samosas. Didn't see the mint chutney until I the 2nd samosa. Drat! I was such a fool for eating aloo paratha without mint chutney. Oh wait... wrong forum...

So I've been looking at the satellite map to figure out where I went wrong on today's trail run. Looks like the nice trails are the brown lines with dirt and grass. The white lines are a painful death march in gravel. The nice trails are a little hard to spot from the main trail, as the entrances are a bit overgrown. I stayed on the obvious trails as I didn't want to get lost.

I'm going to try to cut back on the gear and leave the cell phone in the car. My shorts have one zipper in the back, and with the phone and car clicker in a ziploc bag, it was thwap, thwap, thwap on the rear end, the whole time.

It wasn't too bad of a drive, I forgot how little traffic there is in the morning on the weekends. I'm leaning towards another try tomorrow.

I'm going to try to cut back on the gear and leave the cell phone in the car. My shorts have one zipper in the back, and with the phone and car clicker in a ziploc bag, it was thwap, thwap, thwap on the rear end, the whole time.
Sid, I wouldn't leave your phone behind. You never know what can happen. I bought one of these for my phone:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYJTIM/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00
It holds the phone nice and snug against my body, no thwapping whatsoever. Plus I have my info on a little piece of paper in there, 'laminated' with clear packaging tape, with emergency contact numbers.

Sid, I wouldn't leave your phone behind. You never know what can happen. I bought one of these for my phone:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYJTIM/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00
It holds the phone nice and snug against my body, no thwapping whatsoever. Plus I have my info on a little piece of paper in there, 'laminated' with clear packaging tape, with emergency contact numbers.
I bought a pack too, for when I was starting out to put my minshoes in. It's too big and bulky and makes a big sweaty patch on the back of my shorts/shirt.

After reading some other posts a while ago, I also got a RoadID, and actually wear one with a red band when running and a more discrete black band for everyday use.

I agree. I don't want to have something happen, and regret it, so I ended up ordering that watch phone. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Been on vacation in Key West - did ~3.5 mi (ran 39.5 mins, figured about 11 min/mile). Did lots of walking, but not sure how much...ate waaaaayyyy too much :) Had a good time, but looking forward to getting back to "normal" life..

Been on vacation in Key West - did ~3.5 mi (ran 39.5 mins, figured about 11 min/mile). Did lots of walking, but not sure how much...ate waaaaayyyy too much :) Had a good time, but looking forward to getting back to "normal" life..

Oh, and by the way: Dig me...

Reactions: scedastic
Ran 5.08 miles early morning (Saturday) in Myrtle Beach prior to afternoon wedding I had to shoot (felt like I had run a marathon after that one!). Finished week with 31.79 miles.

11.5 miles on Saturday on very heavy legs from the previous stair workout.
VFF's though :(