Mileage Reporting 48th Week of 2012

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Back is feeling a bit better. Going to give it a try. BRB

Edit: 7.5mi! (minshod)
Still young, stupid, and stubborn. This was the week that I was going to add a bit of distance to my regular run. Low back still a bit sore, but much better. Good thing that running doesn't involve bending over at the waist. Let's see how I feel tomorrow.
Off to the brunch buffet with the in-laws and extended family from out of town. Hopefully, I can keep up the miles to burn off all the calories from the last few days.

Heading out in about a hour for my long snow run, got at least 13 on the agenda today. Let you know how it goes later, hopefully much later.

1 hour and about 23 minutes in the local desert with Moc3's. I think running out there helps with the transition to "shoes" since the terrain is so varied and requires all my attention. It would have been folly to try it barefoot, even though it was about 40 degrees. Hubby estimates that I get credit for 9 miles. Yeehaw! But that last mile in the sand was hard -

10 miles---first long run since i took a few weeks' break, and i did it in at least as good a time as i've done that distance, and i did it on reduced lung capacity (had asthma attacks repeatedly over the last two days--today was the first day of feeling a bit better). glad to feel back into it, especially after a sluggish couple of days exercise-wise.
it was in the low 30s, i was on the gravel trail nearby, in sandals and my thin injinji socks, tights, long sleeve and a new running vest. on the boarderline of overdressed.

10 miles---first long run since i took a few weeks' break, and i did it in at least as good a time as i've done that distance, and i did it on reduced lung capacity (had asthma attacks repeatedly over the last two days--today was the first day of feeling a bit better). glad to feel back into it, especially after a sluggish couple of days exercise-wise.
it was in the low 30s, i was on the gravel trail nearby, in sandals and my thin injinji socks, tights, long sleeve and a new running vest. on the boarderline of overdressed.
Glad to hear you are on the mend. You can always take it off but can't put it on if you do not have it with you. :)

Glad to hear you are on the mend. You can always take it off but can't put it on if you do not have it with you. :)
True, I don't know whether this is adapting to cold weather related, or pre-"change of life" for my pushing middle age body, but I can't stand being too warm on a run lately. However, it's easy enough to dump a few layers on the side/on a tree branch if I'm running an out and back.

1 hour and about 23 minutes in the local desert with Moc3's. I think running out there helps with the transition to "shoes" since the terrain is so varied and requires all my attention. It would have been folly to try it barefoot, even though it was about 40 degrees. Hubby estimates that I get credit for 9 miles. Yeehaw! But that last mile in the sand was hard -
NICE! Jealous that you have such cool trails nearby. Post pics.

Reactions: happysongbird
3.91 mi running, 4.42 total. 29 F / 22 F windchill. 10:10 mm pace.

Stuffed myself at a Chinese buffet for lunch. First heavy lunch I've had in a long, long time. I just can't do that anymore. Then we went to the zoo. I still have a dry cough, so I debated whether I should run at all after coming back home, but Dutchie's getting me to sign up for a half marathon this morning inspired me to go out and give it a try. I felt bloated and sluggish for the first part of the run, but started to pick up speed during the second half. I was a little spooked still by my recent ITBS and was kind of dreading its reappearance throughout the run, but it kept in its corner until, just on the last turn towards home, I felt a very mild strain on the outside of the left knee. But it didn't come on quickly and strongly like it did last Tuesday, so I kept running for a bit more. Then it finally did worsen so I shut it down, stretched out and massaged my upper leg on a fence, and walked the rest of the way home. The temp and windchill felt quite comfortable after Friday's run, even when walking the last half mile.

Not sure what my approach should be now. Should I do the same route on my next run this Tuesday and see if the ITBS comes on sooner or later? Or should I reduce to just a bit before the mile mark where it came on this time? Maybe I should just run down on the track, doing mile intervals, and stop to stretch and massage good in between each interval.

This is a bit discouraging, but at least it didn't stop me in my tracks like it did last Tuesday. Maybe I tempted fate too much by signing up for the half . . . Now I'm coughing again, post-run, so probably I should've just have taken a few days off. Oh well, live and forget, that's what I always say. Sometimes you just gotta keep making the same mistakes until they become takes.

Hope your asthma gets better Scedastic, good to hear our high-mileage gal was back on a longer run though, doing her thing.

3.91 mi running, 4.42 total. 29 F / 22 F windchill. 10:10 mm pace.

This is a bit discouraging, but at least it didn't stop me in my tracks like it did last Tuesday. Maybe I tempted fate too much by signing up for the half . . . Now I'm coughing again, post-run, so probably I should've just have taken a few days off. Oh well, live and forget, that's what I always say. Sometimes you just gotta keep making the same mistakes until they become takes.

Hope your asthma gets better Scedastic, good to hear our high-mileage gal was back on a longer run though, doing her thing.

Not to be all mommish on you, but have you been keeping up with the hip strengthening exercises? I find them absurdly boring but they do seem to help. When I slack off, I can feel just the tiniest hint of itbs twinges on longer runs. If I keep up with them, nada.
I also do a few plank exercises with the balance ball and weights, and that is more fun and seems to target outer hip as well.
And what about glutes? Does exercising the butt help w/ the itbs?

Yeah, I went almost a year without using my inhaler. Just the last few months....when I get exposed to allergens, especially smoke, mold, dust, and am probably already fighting virus cooties. At least my version of asthma is not ever induced by exercise itself. That would suck.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Then it finally did worsen so I shut it down, stretched out and massaged my upper leg on a fence, and walked the rest of the way home. ...

Not sure what my approach should be now. Should I do the same route on my next run this Tuesday and see if the ITBS comes on sooner or later? Or should I reduce to just a bit before the mile mark where it came on this time? Maybe I should just run down on the track, doing mile intervals, and stop to stretch and massage good in between each interval.

Oh, I know you're stubborn, too. Though, anything that interrupts a run can't be good. Did you ever find any strengthening exercises to get it under control?

If it's the August half that Dutchie signed up for, then you probably have time. Though, I know you want to run it at a good pace, not just for completion. Good luck!

Reactions: Bare Lee
So it was a good day, 16.54 miles total in just under 3 hours not supersonic but not bad for slugging it through snowy trails. I will take it. My mukluks are awesome for stuff like this.

Was going to run this evening, but as I set out, got a small hit of TOFP...actually, not pain so much as soreness, so TOFS - decided to scotch the run; I'll be riding in tomorrow anyway, so there will be exercise, eventually...

Reactions: happysongbird
Not to be all mommish on you, but have you been keeping up with the hip strengthening exercises? I find them absurdly boring but they do seem to help. When I slack off, I can feel just the tiniest hint of itbs twinges on longer runs. If I keep up with them, nada.
I also do a few plank exercises with the balance ball and weights, and that is more fun and seems to target outer hip as well.
And what about glutes? Does exercising the butt help w/ the itbs?
Oh, I know you're stubborn, too. Though, anything that interrupts a run can't be good. Did you ever find any strengthening exercises to get it under control?
Well, it's been a bit of a Catch-22. A lot of the stuff that's good for ITBS is bad for my MCL-injury. Anything involving a deep knee bend like squats, or piriformis stretching, would stretch the ligament. And a lot of hip stuff would put lateral strain on it. But I did light squats on Saturday and my MCL ligament seemed fine with it, so I'll begin fully integrating all the exercises I picked out a month or two ago during this week's strength-training workouts. I'll also try to roll more. I've just been doing it pre- and post-run, but I need to be doing it on my non-run days too, just as I do the stick massaging for my lower legs several times each day. I got a 12" foam roller for my office so I can use it on breaks but so far I haven't motivated much to use it. I also ordered a softball from Amazon, due on Tuesday, and I'll use that for massaging the glute muscles more. I've also learned how to stretch out and massage the ITBS once it occurs. On last Tuesday's run, after my brother came and rescued me, I put my foot up on his pick-up bed's rim, while he went into to get the kids, and really dug my fingers into the back and side of my upper leg. It took him extra long to get the kids ready to go, so I kept stretching and massaging, and after a while I could feel a similar kind of 'release' on the outside of my left knee, where the iliotibial band connects to the joint, as I feel in my foot's tendons when I massage my lower leg's front muscles. So perhaps I need to be stopping every mile or so to do this until the ITBS passes.

Overall, I'm optimistic that I'll be able to beat this thing into submission fairly quickly. It was a case of TMTS in building up my distance again once my MCL injury seemed healed. I had done seven to eight miles comfortably as recently as September, but my muscles and tendons must've atrophied a bit while I was in rehab/rest in October. Over the last few months I've also learned about the difference between a ligament injury and a tendon injury. With ligaments, you can't really do much except rest and ice, but with tendons, you can speed up the healing process by massaging, stretching, and strengthening. To that end, Scedastic, if you have a minute, I would like to know more about what specific exercises you do for your ITBS.

If it's the August half that Dutchie signed up for, then you probably have time. Though, I know you want to run it at a good pace, not just for completion. Good luck!
Yeah, it was a bit premature signing up before I knew whether I will be able to do it under two hours. There's the danger my OCD will be unleashed now and I'll be tempted to push things too fast, but since I'm already suffering a bit for my TMTS impatience with this ITBS, perhaps I've already got a good idiot alert installed. If I can get up to 7-8 miles by the end of December, even if that means using the run-walk method, then I'll have five months, or until May, to add a mile per month to my max distance run to get up to half marathon distance, and then two more months to try to pick up the pace a bit before the event. It's only been a day, but I like the way this race will refocus my training a bit. And I couldn't very well pass up the opportunity to lose my race virginity with a veteran distance runner like Dutchie available to guide me gently through the rite of passage.

Reactions: Sid
7.5 miles minshod. Adding an extra loop to my regular 1.8mi circuit around the neighborhood. Trying to build a bit of distance on my regular run and lose some holiday weight. First 6mi were okay, but I felt like I loosened up and hit my stride on the last loop.

TOFP a lot better. Still wearing the minshoes, to avoid getting sidelined by glass. If that happened, then I'd be a couch potato, since I'm holding off on the strength training until the low back is good again. At least things have settled down enough, that I now know that I tweaked the right side, when doing shoulder presses on Friday.