Mileage Reporting 48th Week 2013

Had a 14.25 mile mukluk run yesterday to finish off the week. Temps were warmer than normal but the ground was also a bit slushy so no barefooting.

Get well soon Spidey!

Sunday recap - relaxed long run of 12.86km, which is about 7.99 miles. Dang! Ran along the beach in glorious sunshine. The water was cold but the waves were nice, so I jumped in for a bit of bodysurfing until my teeth started chattering, and then I went home, showered to warm up, rolled my calves and then donned the wetsuit for a few more waves on my surfboard. Brilliant morning.

The afternoon was spent shopping at the plant nursery, and then planting a few seedlings and trying in vain to stop my 4 year old girl from yanking them out of the pot. She has an annoying habit of pulling plants out, picking flowers before they bloom, and picking all the lemons off the lemon tree when they reach the size of a fingernail. Apart from that she's OK.

Finished with an evening beach trip with the family.

saturday: solid long swim while queasy: something about the 2 pieces of pie i had before bed I think. While swimming,it was ok, but after,not so much. got a stomach bug. and have been able to hold down little more than yogurt and some apples in the last 36 hrs. no runs in a few days. :(

The afternoon was spent shopping at the plant nursery, and then planting a few seedlings and trying in vain to stop my 4 year old girl from yanking them out of the pot. She has an annoying habit of pulling plants out, picking flowers before they bloom, and picking all the lemons off the lemon tree when they reach the size of a fingernail. Apart from that she's OK.

When my kids were all little, I brought home a plumeria branch from Hawaii and planted it in a pot. I lost count of how many times that was pulled out. The kids were generally good about my plants, but for some reason they were confused by what that was doing there. Amazingly, it still grew into a tree. One of my friends with a huge sunroom has it now and it blooms every year for him.

Reactions: Larry and scedastic
saturday: solid long swim while queasy: something about the 2 pieces of pie i had before bed I think. While swimming,it was ok, but after,not so much. got a stomach bug. and have been able to hold down little more than yogurt and some apples in the last 36 hrs. no runs in a few days. :(

hmm, you are making me feel less guilty about not doing anything today. I just haven't had any umpf, so dear hubby suggests that I need rest. It may be some stress from baby grand daughter's impending heart surgery giving me some stomach pains, but usually running and exercise helps with dealing with life. I did ride 90 minutes on spin bike last night, if anyone wants to count that. And the cold rain isn't helping any either. Sooner or later, I will have to get out there, though, or everyone is likely to suffer...

Excellent 8 mile run at 6:00 am, 54 deg., 94%rh. last run of the week. total 19 miles. Next Sunday is Dallas marathon.
Feet still good
legs good.

hmm, you are making me feel less guilty about not doing anything today. I just haven't had any umpf, so dear hubby suggests that I need rest. It may be some stress from baby grand daughter's impending heart surgery giving me some stomach pains, but usually running and exercise helps with dealing with life. I did ride 90 minutes on spin bike last night, if anyone wants to count that. And the cold rain isn't helping any either. Sooner or later, I will have to get out there, though, or everyone is likely to suffer...

I took the day off too - sometimes it's just necessary!

I hope the surgery goes well and that your grand-daughter will soon be well on the road to recovery.

Laura,
let us know when it's happening so at least i can pray. i hope other join me. no matter your faith prayer works.

today was long "run" of 2 hours.
yesterday was nada. don't think i did one pistol.

Got a new elliptical machine for the home gym so am going to start cross training on that for the time being. Oh ya and the doc on Friday told me he thinks I may have bone bruises on my shins from rolling my legs with the softball. Appears I may have gotten too close to the shin bones with the softball. Apparently it can take days to weeks to heal, so I guess it's kind of a wait and see and take it day by day. He said they will hurt pretty much the same until all of a sudden they won't. When waking up this morning my right shin didn't hurt at all, so maybe my left one will be good in a day or two. He said if I had kept rollimg my legs on the softball and getting so close to the shin I could have actually caused fractures. He's not 100% about it being bone bruises, but the xray didn't show any fractures and I didnt want the expense of an MRI. Anyhow, he told me from now on I shouldn't roll with the softball down there, told me to use an actual foam roller as it has a little give. I will probably still use a tennis ball too as I can target specific areas better, but I will make sure to only use it on the more meaty areas and not so close to the shin.

con
Got a new elliptical machine for the home gym so am going to start cross training on that for the time being. Oh ya and the doc on Friday told me he thinks I may have bone bruises on my shins from rolling my legs with the softball. Appears I may have gotten too close to the shin bones with the softball. Apparently it can take days to weeks to heal, so I guess it's kind of a wait and see and take it day by day. He said they will hurt pretty much the same until all of a sudden they won't. When waking up this morning my right shin didn't hurt at all, so maybe my left one will be good in a day or two. He said if I had kept rollimg my legs on the softball and getting so close to the shin I could have actually caused fractures. He's not 100% about it being bone bruises, but the xray didn't show any fractures and I didnt want the expense of an MRI. Anyhow, he told me from now on I shouldn't roll with the softball down there, told me to use an actual foam roller as it has a little give. I will probably still use a tennis ball too as I can target specific areas better, but I will make sure to only use it on the more meaty areas and not so close to the shin.
congrats on the elliptical:DI love mine...

My thoughts are with you Laura.

Reactions: happysongbird
Nick, have you ever tried the Knobble or an electric massager? I mostly get by with "The Little Stick," (http://www.amazon.com/The-Stick-Lit...66&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=electhe+little+stick) but once in a while I use the electric massager after a long run, when my shin muscles are especially tight. Really works great. This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Perc...=1385996466&sr=8-6&keywords=electric+massager. I haven't used the Knobble for a while, but it's pretty good for digging into the muscles without touching the bone like a roller does.
I ain't never claimed to be nuffink else :p
con

congrats on the elliptical:DI love mine...
Ellipticals are for wussies!

Ha, sorry, I just enjoy calling people who can run or lift a lot better than me wussies.

Reactions: Robin and NickW
Thanks Robin and Lee. The elliptical is supposed to be more for the wife than for me, but I have a feeling that it will be mostly mine before long. I am slightly worried about the stride length on it messing up my running form. It has a 20" stride and feels extremely weird and long.

Reactions: Robin and Bare Lee
Thanks Robin and Lee. The elliptical is supposed to be more for the wife than for me, but I have a feeling that it will be mostly mine before long. I am slightly worried about the stride length on it messing up my running form. It has a 20" stride and feels extremely weird and long.
I don't have a problem with it(I don't know the stride length of mine though),but could be different for you,I use it in the morning for fatburning exercise.It's easier to maintain a steady heartrate on it as opposed to outdoors.When weather is really shitty it's nice too.:D

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Nick and anyone else. don't roll on a ball or mash trigger points too hard. apply pressure but don't dig. it's a fine line that you'll hopefully learn. if you approach a tp with a lot of force it will tighten up more. come in soft and then apply more pressure and it will release easier and faster.

yes, you saw you can hurt yourself. those shin splints were crazy but you can do worse like impinge a nerve. not good.

Nick and anyone else. don't roll on a ball or mash trigger points too hard. apply pressure but don't dig. it's a fine line that you'll hopefully learn. if you approach a tp with a lot of force it will tighten up more. come in soft and then apply more pressure and it will release easier and faster.

yes, you saw you can hurt yourself. those shin splints were crazy but you can do worse like impinge a nerve. not good.
You're right, it is a fine line. For me, I got too close to the bone, and with a hard ball that was not a good combination. Guess this learning thing is a never ending process, huh? ;) My shins are already feeling much better and thanking me for laying off the rolling and stretching and running while this is healing.

Reactions: migangelo