Mileage Reporting 45th week 2013

Great 18 mile run at 6:00am 57 deg. f., 63%rh.. this run took me into uncharted (by me) territory. Nice creek crossings, ran down a nature path. Saw some ducks and different water fowl flying overhead in formation lots of squirrels. Passed one man at about mile 7 and he said "are you sure you should be running barefoot"? no reply for that one. at mile 14 a woman was getting out of her car and yelled at me "What is your mission" I thought it was a trick question. replied just out for a run she said "happy veterans day" (I usually carry a flag in my camelback) then she yelled "why barefoot"? I replied because I love it! At about mile 15 I crossed paths with a elderly gentleman running with what looked to be his granddaughter about 7 or 8 years old. He asked "what are you training for"? I replied Dallas marathon. the young girl asked "why are you running with no shoes"? once again I replied cause I love it. She proceeded to take off out in front of me with a pace I wished I could run at. This meeting cheered me up to finish up my run.
This was the last run of week 12 of training 4 weeks to go. Total miles 36.
Feet Good
Legs Good
Ice Good!

Weekend wrap: 7.5km with the running club on Saturday morning. The tide was up a little, so they opted for the 'track' option instead of the 'beach' option, which meant running on a nasty gravel path for the first 2km. Just a little too rough to be enjoyable - I'm taking some shoes along next time they do that run. On the return leg I opted out and ran the last couple of km along the beach.

On Sunday morning I got up early and ran the 6AM shift for my running club's team in the local "Relay for Life". Thirty something laps around an oval track. Terribly monotonous, but at least it was on grass for a nice change. It was a little chilly and I copped a bit of rain, but I managed to shuffle my way through 11.3km or 7 miles in about 53 minutes, which strava tells me is also my best 10km effort. That said, I'm not sure if I believe the data from a GPS watch when you're running around a small track - the accuracy might be slightly lacking. I was quite cheery and happy for the whole time, chatting to other runners, saying silly things to the walkers on the way past, and I realised that nowadays I really enjoy running, which is a strange thing to say because I hated running three years ago and took it up as a bit of a chore to stay fit. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the guy on the loudspeaker who kept announcing that the local fire brigade were selling bacon and egg sandwiches every five minutes - I had to run past the tent each time and the smell was delicious. I was a pretty easy sale for them when I finished.

In the aftermath, the muscles (or whatever they are) along the outside of my left foot are quite sore, and I'm hobbling slightly, so I need to rest up a bit this week to make sure I'm in good shape for my 12km race on Sunday. I think the rough run made things worse indirectly, because when I run on really rough surfaces I tend to feel like I'm running with my feet 'tensed up' and this probably stresses things more than usual. That's this week's theory, anyway.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts