Mileage Reporting 44th Week of 2014

Saturday morning: my first run/commute (sort of???) since moving here. Needed to go to the pharmacy, but it's only about a mile away, so I ran around the neighborhoods and town and worked my way over. Temp 30F, but WINDY. Wore the winter gear (including thin toe socks with my sandals), and was glad for it.

Going to guess about 4.5mi total? no idea.

A cold, wet, and barefoot 5.13 miles around my ponds at 46-48°F. I didn't feel bitterly cold, but it did stimulate an unplanned faster pace, as noticed when I checked at mileage beeps. It was raining and there was a layer of water on the asphalt. My feet were finally "not cold" after 3 miles (notice I did not say they were warm), but I could feel them well enough the whole time. When it stopped raining for the last part of the run, teeny little flying snacks came out en masse, but one was misguided and flew into my eyeball. I regretted that I was not able to spit with my eyeball. Couldn't get it out until I got home. At home, I downed a glass of orange juice and 2 blueberry newtons before getting in a solid 20 minute swim.

Going to guess about 4.5mi total? no idea.
Wow Sced, you're taking the 'just run' philosophy to a whole 'nother level. Pretty soon you'll be so in the Zenzone that running and not running will be the same.

Butt seriously, I envy your freedom. Even though I haven't used a Garmin in almost a year, I still keep track of route distance with Google Maps. I'm blissfully unaware of my pace though, and that's a zenblessing all in its own.

Reactions: dutchie53
Well got a normal-ish run in today of a little over 7 miles. Was a bit cool but perfect clear sky and bright sun. To bad the leaves are already down would have made some beautiful fall scenery. Well I still tried...
hoot-11-2-14.jpg
On the return trip a lot of the trail was heading directly toward the sun and just made it such a beautiful setting despite the bare trees. Of course all I had was the cell phone so photo quality isn’t that great. Bad lens flares which I actually did heavily edit out of the pic. But was a nice run. My heel/achilles pain on my right foot is just about gone, and was not an issue during the run. However at about the mid point when I was thinking its so nice to be back to normal running again, I did feel a little discomfort. Not from the foot with the heel/achilles pains but the other foot - the one I made a bad step on uneven cobblestone on the marathon. My outermost metatarsal (is that the 5th or 1st?) took a bit harder of an impact since the brick was a bit higher than the rest, like stepping on a stone you didn't see. Hard to explain but my feet (and rest of my body for that matter) have never been very flexible. I often stretch out the feet before or after a run, and sometimes do where you twist the foot... pushing down on the metatarsal on one side while pulling up on the other, then reversing. If I'm pushing up on the outer metatarsal and pulling down on the inner its never been very flexible and I don't have to do it very hard at all to feel discomfort. This same feeling of discomfort started up between 2-3 miles in and diminished somewhat but stuck around the rest of the run. Hoping that goes away... it was probably the worse thing I felt during the whole marathon. Now I've stepped on things in the last few years that made me stop, limp for a bit, etc, which the cobblestone did not. But the steps that left me limping tended to go away quickly whereas the cobblestone left pain in the metatarsal that faded slightly but was there pretty much for the rest of the race (I hit it in the second half, maybe 2/3 to 3/4 through the race).

Oh and a lot of my 'exercise' this week went into making this holz hausen (fancy round wood pile lol).
holz-hausen-1-720.jpg
I split and staked about half again as much (but stacked on the porch). Still a lot more to split.

Wow Sced, you're taking the 'just run' philosophy to a whole 'nother level. Pretty soon you'll be so in the Zenzone that running and not running will be the same.

Butt seriously, I envy your freedom. Even though I haven't used a Garmin in almost a year, I still keep track of route distance with Google Maps. I'm blissfully unaware of my pace though, and that's a zenblessing all in its own.

Right? Even if I wanted to know, though, I would have to mess with the weird winding looping route on google maps. I'm not that curious. I just need to get out and do something in the morning so I don't get all stabby.
Also, I'm still exploring my local area, so often I will side track myself around a block or so, just to see what's there.
Funny, I also have no idea on my pace. Sometimes from one day to the next the exact same route takes minutes more or less, noticeably.

Right? Even if I wanted to know, though, I would have to mess with the weird winding looping route on google maps. I'm not that curious. I just need to get out and do something in the morning so I don't get all stabby.
Also, I'm still exploring my local area, so often I will side track myself around a block or so, just to see what's there.
Funny, I also have no idea on my pace. Sometimes from one day to the next the exact same route takes minutes more or less, noticeably.

And what's more odd is that if its not before work, and I don't have anywhere to be, I don't even note the time when I leave, so I won't even know how long it took, just a ballpark.

Opps, I forgot about a mile of barefoot trick-or-treating Friday night, and then about a mile of strolling with the kids for groceries and some time at the park Saturday afternoon. It's always nice to get in some barefoot walking. The playground's cold sand felt especially pleasant.

Hard core. It was cold Friday night. Brr.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Went down to the Javelina Jundred this weekend with the Ultra Adventure crew to check out the race and cheer on a few friends in the race. Had a great time and quite eye opening to see a large Ultra Marathon event. Got to see Vanessa and Shacky. Met and had a beer and discussion with Pat Sweeney. Met John (BF in AZ) who was helping in the race. Saw some Tarahumara in the race. Sorry folks, but the 2 in the hundered distance were wearing shoes. The one in the 100k, sandals. Saw a lot of big names in the Ultra world and witnessed many runners succeeding in their 100 mile attempts. Many other experiences and stories that are too lengthy to mention here. So, my mileage:

Friday - after setting up camp went on a 9 mile shod night run on the course with two of my friends. Most of the run without headlamps. Saw a coiled, hissing, and rattling rattlesnake. Wow!!

Saturday night/Sunday morning - 46 miles pacing my friends (15 sandals, 31 shod) mostly walking, but still fun. Both finished their 100. Witnessed many things that will help me prep for my 100 attempt.

So a 91 mile week is not the best thing to do two weeks out from a 100 mile race, but most of the miles were hiking and walking. Easy terrain for the 46 of pacing. I am mildly sore, but no problems and the plan is to take it very easy.